Grave Error

Hello all,

After being away from the trailer for a little over a month I am back and set it up last night. In a hurry to find food and other such things I made a grave error while getting it put together. I forgot my heater was on bypass and turned on the electric and propane heater to get me some hot water for a shower. Well with no water in it, I think you can guess, the heating element is no longer working. Luckily no fire. Was wondering how difficult the heating element is to replace, or if I have potentially ruined it enough the whole water heater needs to be replaced? I am trying to use propane to heat right now, sure it will work but don't have the hot water right now to be positive. Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Nic

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Water heater elements are pretty easy to change.
You will need a special water heater element wrench to make your job a whole lot easier and a new element.
Both can be found at any big box building center or most good hardware stores. Both are not expensive items.
You might not find the exact wattage element but if it's close that's ok.
For your safety be sure to unplug from shore power and be sure your generator is off.
Do relieve the pressure in the water heater before removing the old element.
Put a small amount of lube on the new rubber gasket that comes on the new element.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave, There is a camping world close by where I am at. Am I better off finding a home depot to get it a little cheaper or should I go with camping world to make sure I get the right parts?

Cheers.

So propane is still heating the water, and I haven't noticed any leaks yet. Is there anything else I should worry about leaving that element on without water in the heater? Could it have damaged more than just the element itself?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt that you have ruined anything else as the element would have burned out pretty quickly.
I don't know if CW will have the socket needed for removal but their elements are under $20.

Peace
Dave

CDN

B and B
Hello,

I bought my element and a spare at Home Depot. $12 each and a metal wrench to remove and replace. I carry a spare. Mine opened up due to lime scale, just corroded it.

Brian

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Brian, I'm heading to home depot now thanks. Dave what kind of grease do you recommend using on the gasket?
Since you are headed to HD now, pick up some plumbers grease. Comes in a small container or tube. Non toxic.
Or you could just use a dab of Crisco.

Peace
Dave

Thanks again, I just washed dishes with hot water heated with the new element. Was really easy, once I figured out a way to get the tools to it underneath the cabinets. Really appreciate all the help. Hope all are enjoying memorial weekend, thanks for all those who have and currently serve.

Cheers