gray tank odors

wlosi

I have a new tt in a park and am hooked to a septic system. I have had some minor odors from my gray tanks. I have used Calgon water Softener. I thought maybe it was because I have left my gray tank open so I closed it last week. When I came up yesterday I got a terrible odor when I ran water in the sinks. I filled the tank with clean water, drained it and flushed gallons of clean water down the sinks. I am leaving the gray tank open. (which I always have with my previous trailer)
We have had the trailer only since May and I'm not thinking it has been enough time for "krud" to build up.

I've read alot about the use of Calgon, dawn, and bleach.

My questions:
  • do you think the really bad odor was because I closed the tank
  • should I fill the tank with clean water, calgon, dawn and leave for a few days in case there is "krud" on the walls of the tanks
  • do you think if has anything to do with my vents
  • what's the P-trap issue I read something

I am new to this site and to the forum format so any help you can give me is appreciated.

wlosi

jimtoo

Hi wlosi,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Please tell us what kind of unit you have. Maybe some of our other family members will jump in soon with a solution to your problem.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

soilmovers

someone on the list suggested 5starhappycamper.com for the tanks. It's suppose to be an all natural product. BUT, it works! We have had 100+ temps for a couple months and never had an odor.

The do sell an extreme tank cleaner that removes the crud and our sensors started to work again.

Cindy

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When we've been absent from our rig for a week or so, we can get odor from the black tank, even though I've dumped, flushed, and added water/Calgon to it. I've even been tossing in a chemical packet this season. If you read the labels on most of the toilet chemicals, they say they control odor for up to 7 days. My guess is that an idle tank, without any water movement in it will stagnate quickly and bacteria will cause odors to evolve. Even the gray tanks have material in them that can decompose and stink over time.

So, I just dump, flush, and recharge the black tank when we return to the rig, if it stinks. Remember, also, that the Calgon/Geo treatment is just adding a water softener/surfactant to the mix. It does not control any biological action occurring down there.