Gray tank slow to drain

phelpo

Help,
We own a 2014 Big Country 3596re and the kitchen sink gray
tank has been very slowly draining. We do live in it and
it has been parked for 2 1/2 yrs. I left the valve open and
had not been adding solution to dissolve food particles.

So now it drains slowly, clear liquid just slow. I have used
black tank cleaner and a gallon of bleach but still no better
results. I also replaced the under counter air vent

Question, is the only vent for this tank under the sink?

I've read a ton of threads with no real solution. How about
using draino that is compatible with the tank components?

Oh and yes we have the wonderful smell in the rig.

All help is appreciated

Phelpo

jbeletti

Do you have a clothes wash machine? If not, wondering of the water has dried up in the p-trap for that. If it has, consider putting some RV antifreeze down that or capping it off.

As for the slow drain of the gray tank, perhaps you have 2 years of sludge on the bottom of the tank. There are companies around that can clean your tanks and valves from the outside using a pressurized water snake and camera.

This company doesn't serve you're county (if you're in the Keys) but their website will give you a bit more insight on how this job is done.

BillnKaren

Hi Phelpo,

I went through this with my Landmark San Antonio. I ended up having to replace some of the plumbing and disconnecting it from the gray tank (the tank was totally full and wouldn't drain). The long of it was that after I replaced some of the plumbing (I had a blockage made of grease and lime from the water) I got it to drain again. I now keep the tank closed and drain it every 3rd day or so - no more issues.

Good luck with the backflush and chemicals to break it up (I did try chemicals to no luck). FYI - the plumbing was 1 1/2" PVC (white).

Bill

phelpo

Bill,
On your Landmark where is the gray tank outlet, which side is it on?
How far back from the overhang?

Thanks
Phelpo

Hi Phelpo,

I went through this with my Landmark San Antonio. I ended up having to replace some of the plumbing and disconnecting it from the gray tank (the tank was totally full and wouldn't drain). The long of it was that after I replaced some of the plumbing (I had a blockage made of grease and lime from the water) I got it to drain again. I now keep the tank closed and drain it every 3rd day or so - no more issues.

Good luck with the backflush and chemicals to break it up (I did try chemicals to no luck). FYI - the plumbing was 1 1/2" PVC (white).

Bill

phelpo

anybody have a diagram for how the
tanks and plumbing line are laid
out on a BC, BH or Landmark?

Thanks,

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There is the possibility that the cut-out for the drain pipe into the tank when the rig was built has found its way to the tank outlet and is blocking it. In that case, a backflush might help. People do it, but leaving the tank drain always open is not a great idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skywrench

Full Timer
My gray tank was draining slow so I added some enzyme to it and let it sit for a day. It's draining normal now. I'm thinking about adding one of those tornado tank rinsers to my gray tank.

Jv75353

where did you get the enzyme?
Check out Walmart in the camping section, if they don't have it on the shelf you can order it and have it shipped to your store for free they will let you know when it arrives. You could go online check Amazon or similar sites or check with Camping World.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You might also try letting that tank drain completely, then close it off and pour enough extremely hot water in there to cover the bottom of the tank and let it soak for awhile to soften up the sludge.

Then try rinsing it out with more hot water . . .

phelpo

Up date,

Bought the back water flush with a value and that
worked like a charm. Had to back flush about
6 times and man you should have seen the
junk come out of the tank. No more leaving
the valve open, now when I drop it the grey
water rushes out.

Thanks all for your advise.

Merry Christmas to all
Phelpo

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Up date,

No more leaving
the valve open, now when I drop it the grey
water rushes out.

Thanks all for your advise.

Merry Christmas to all
Phelpo

I don't hook to sewer and immediately open the grey tank valves when we set up. I dump the tanks the day we're leaving or when they fill up...whichever comes first. That way hopefully any food particles and soapy sludge departs the tank with the exit of the grey water. No clothes washing to fill #1 tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk