Grease Seal Replacement

berky

So I'm reading the Lippert instructions for greasing the bearings. They say "Apply a Permatex sealant to the outside of the new seal".

Does anybody do this? Which Permatex do you use?

I've never done bearings before, but I'm not sure I've seen this step in any other instructions. Seems to me unless I use the right stuff it's just going to be a mess to clean up the next time I do the bearings.

jnbhobe

I never use anything when installing seals other than a flat piece of wood and a hammer. I also get a GOOD seal from a bearing shop or a auto parts store.

This is my first post here, I hope this turns out right. I started using Permatex Aviation sealant because it didn't get hard
after time and it came in a brush-top can. I also like Permatex Ultra Blue RTV silicone sealant. Biggist thing is make sure the bore is clean of old sealant/paint, some seals are painted on the outer surface and that is suposed to act as a sealant.

danemayer

Hi Igotinertia,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a lot of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion.

TeJay

I've installed seals for 40 years and never used any type of sealant. That's not to say that it would do any harm if you did but I just don't see any reason to use something if it's not needed. Some seals do come with a coating around the outside edge. That's OK if they applied it and if the additional slight increase in size is accounted for if that is necessary. Buy a good seal, clean the axle and check for any burrs on the area where it will spin for the next 30-40K miles. Cover the axle with about 1/8th" of good grease. If you've never done bearing packing before make sure that you use a good synthetic grease: Amzoil racing grease 2000, or Mobil 1. If you use the thinner grease they use in the grease gun for the E-Z-Lube axles the stuff is to thin. Place a 1/4" layer of grease inside the hub to control moisture. It is absolutely amd completely not necessary to pack the hub full of grease. All that does is provide a barrier for heat dissipation and the grease you put in the hub will never perform its job of lubricating any bearing. The grease does not flow like oil. I always hand-pack the bearings as well. Make sure your bearing axle nut is adjusted to give you .001-.003 side to side movement for the bearing clearance. If you want/ need more info about making the adjustment PM me.
JMTCW
TeJay

lwmcguir

Have to agree with TeJay, we install seals in all kinds of equipment and have never one time used any kind of sealant around the outside of the seal housing.

berky

I guess much of it comes down to common sense.
I've already bought good (not bargain basement) parts, and I'll use the same caution as with any other repair job.
Thanks for all of the replies and additional details guys.