Great safety article by Mike Sokol on RV Hot-Skin

ncc1701e

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/electrical-testers/dual-range-non-contact-voltage-tester

Is this the tool? Seems it's only 15 bucks.

It sure would be much easier to check your rig during set up with this, than checking it by putting one foot on your steps and one on the grass while drinking coffee.

I guess the question is just exactly how would you use the device as applied to your rig? I'm sure the device has instructions, but may not be explanatory as far as rigs are concerned.

In my case I would assume that touching this to the steps or chassis would give the indication if present.

If you really want to carry a simple and useful tester this is by far one of the best on the market right now. Fluke

http://www.lowes.com/pd_229838-1190...rentURL=?Ntt=voltage+tester&page=3&facetInfo=

Cost $40, We actually outlawed those non contact testers like you have a link for. Testing proved they would give false indications many times.

Attachments

• 095969525596.jpg
    095969525596.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 26

porthole

Retired
Cost $40, We actually outlawed those non contact testers like you have a link for. Testing proved they would give false indications many times.

Outlawed?

False indictions? As in false positives?
Tested once a day? Name brands or HF stuff?

wdk450

That's the tool that I got at Home Depot. BTW, the 1st one I bought didn't work. I took the exchange one directly to a live outlet box at Home Depot and tested that it worked in the live power slot. It blinked red when i used it to test the trailer live chassis and live park pedestal outlet box.

BTW, I have the Progressive HW50C wired into the trailer. Earlier in the stay it showed an open ground error code, but I was able to reset the error by resetting the pedestal breaker, so I thought the error code was a mistake. I guess I should have double checked with the non-contact tester.

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/electrical-testers/dual-range-non-contact-voltage-tester

Is this the tool? Seems it's only 15 bucks.

It sure would be much easier to check your rig during set up with this, than checking it by putting one foot on your steps and one on the grass while drinking coffee.

I guess the question is just exactly how would you use the device as applied to your rig? I'm sure the device has instructions, but may not be explanatory as far as rigs are concerned.

In my case I would assume that touching this to the steps or chassis would give the indication if present.

jmsokol

As a retired electrician we call them tic tracers. If you have one be sure you check it at known live source.

Yes, that's the most important thing to do. First check it on a "turned on" outlet on the pedestal, and it should beep and/or light. Then check your RV for a hot-skin voltage. The fear is that the batteries or electronics could die and the tester wouldn't beep on a real hot skin.

BTW: That's also why I don't recommend the "always on" versions of these testers. There's too much chance that the batteries will be dead and it won't indicate a positive hot skin. I like the ones with an actual "ON" button and some sort of indicator light which show's that the unit is operating. Even then you still want to test it first on a powered outlet.

As far as using a voltmeter for this test, that's the gold standard if you're an electrician or electrical engineer (I'm both). However, it has to be used exactly right and you must punch a sharp meter probe through the paint or rust to get a connection, and you need to drive a ground rod (or a least a screwdriver) in the ground for a proper test.

Now please realize that I've developed a true hot-skin demonstration which allows me to bias the chassis and skin of an RV with any voltage I want. And I'm convinced that a Fluke VoltAlert or Klein NCVT-1 is the simplest and safest way for any consumer to find an RV hot-skin condition. I've personally done this test hundreds of times on actual hot-skin RVs, and I've never had a false positive or negative. The only time there was a misreading was from an RV parked directly under high-voltage power lines. And there was actually an induced voltage on the skin of the RV from the power lines overhead even though the RV wasn't plugged into shore power. I don't consider that a false positive since the RV actually had an elevated skin voltage.

Please let me know if you have any questions about how this all works since I've discussed this at length with engineers from the major meter manufacturers.

Jim.Allison

Lowes has a Southwire tool section in the electrical department with a real nice assortment of professional electricians tools. I have a volt meter I bought from that display. I notices that they have this tool for about $14. It has a green light on it to indicate that it is functioning.