Greystone Tire Inflation Pressure Discussion

jheitman

I decided to watch the temperatures of my PowerKing TowMax STR tires (pressurized of course to 80 psi). I found a really nice Infrared Temperature Gauge called a DuraTrax FlashPoint. Here is a website address where you can see it. It is about the size of a car key fob:

http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp3100.html

I bought mine here at a hobby store:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=dtxp3100

Tower Hobbies sells them to measure model car engine temperatures. However, I have read other posting where people use it to measure tire temperatures. I got one today and it seems to read very consistently. You just hold the device close, maybe an inch, to the tire, where ever you want to read, and push the button. The reading pops up almost instantly (1 second). I've read that you can read your hub temperatures too, but I haven't tried that yet.

"Palm sized 1.13 ounce reads wide temperature range from
-27° to +428°F (-33° to +220°C)"

If there is a slow leak which is making the tire hotter on the way to a blow out, I might notice before the blow out.

FYI

jheitman

I have seen my Goodyears run as high as 110*at 127psi

That's 110 deg F? That doesn't seem too high. I've been told that 170 deg F is OK but geting up around 200 deg F is trouble. Anyone have better numbers on where tires start to come apart?

I drove my passenger car 10 miles on the interstate and the tires were about 105 deg F on a 72 deg ambient day, measured with the FlashPoint meter.

jim

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
That's 110 deg F? That doesn't seem too high. I've been told that 170 deg F is OK but geting up around 200 deg F is trouble. Anyone have better numbers on where tires start to come apart?

I drove my passenger car 10 miles on the interstate and the tires were about 105 deg F on a 72 deg ambient day, measured with the FlashPoint meter.

jim

I think he's got his temps and psi backwards....