Ground Control Install Problem

Bighorn55

I was hoping to drive to the NE rally today. Instead I'm installing the 4 point ground control set up on my Bighorn 3670. (The Old jack broke on our last trip out). Well I'm not even doing that because it does not seam to fit. IMG_20140720_122734.jpg
I can install the jack but when I go to put the motor on it does not fit. I put the motor on and then tried to install the jack but the top bolt does not go on because I can not get the jack against the back of the frame because motor is in the way.
Has Anybody had this problem? and what is the solution? A visit from a welder?
Thanks in advance,
Steve T

Jim.Allison

Re: Groung Control Install Problem

Shims?
I was hoping to drive to the NE rally today. Instead I'm installing the 4 point ground control set up on my Bighorn 3670. (The Old jack broke on our last trip out). Well I'm not even doing that because it does not seam to fit. View attachment 30777
I can install the jack but when I go to put the motor on it does not fit. I put the motor on and then tried to install the jack but the top bolt does not go on because I can not get the jack against the back of the frame because motor is in the way.
Has Anybody had this problem? and what is the solution? A visit from a welder?
Thanks in advance,
Steve T

Bighorn55

I need more space not less. I think I may end up with new brackets welded on.

jimtoo

HI Steve,

I thought that the motor could be installed on any side/position of the jacks 4 sides. Please keep us informed as I am thinking of doing the same thing and have a 3670 also. One of my jacks is making a little noise now.

Jim M

Oh,, I just looked at you picture again... the gear case is hitting something at the top side?

Bighorn55

Jim. Allison you were correct, shims is the answer. Looking at the mounting instructions again, I was working on page 4 but on page 17 there are instructions on how to install the front jacks when more clearance is needed. A kit with shims is provided.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Unless Lippert changed something when they bought the system, you should not have a problem installing the jacks on a 3670. I didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bighorn55

A Shim and a smaller bolt was the answer. They came with the kit and on page 17 of the instruction paper work was how to install them (I was page 4 at the time I discovered I had a problem)IMG_20140720_135520.jpg
On the left is the bolt that came out in the middle the new bolt in the kit. The shim is on the right. Thanks for the help and encouragement everyone. one more 5 hour day and I should be good to go roaming again.
Steve T

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The only problem I ran into when installing mine was snapping the rear jack bolts trying to drive to the torque spec'd in the instructions. The manual said 75 ft-lb, but the ASTM 307 bolts are only rated to 20. Bought a supply of US made Grade 8 yellow zinc bolts and through-bolted everything with locking nuts and washers. The 8's were rated to 45 ft-lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Steve - ya should have driven to the rally and fixed it there!

Could have had the rally team out in force

5uqequhe.jpg

The "usual suspects" were there in force.

Bighorn55

Me too, dyersonline.com. it is not a generation 3 unit but it is a great deal. Got mine with free shipping.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Camping World and Tweety's also sell Ground Control. Looks like CW also sells an auto-level add on kit for it, if you already own the system. <drool>