Halogen lights in Key Largo

Cyberdave

I did a quick search but didn't see a post covering these bulbs.
The Halogen lights (JC-10) have a relatively short life span. Since prices are anywhere from $2.50 to $3.50 a 2 pack of the halogens, I was considering replacing them with LED's as they failed. It dawned on me that the JC-10 is a standard automotive bulb but they are not any cheaper at Autozone or Wally World. We use Amazon a lot and are premium members so shipping is free. A simple search later, I ordered a 25 pack of JC-10 halogen bulbs for $9.95.

Even if you pay shipping, you'll be way ahead.

jayc

Legendary Member
Cyberdave, if you're interested in LED bulbs, I understand that Heartland parts are selling the entire light fixture with LED bulb for $14. If you're a club member, you will save 10%. Halogen bulbs are very hot and don't very long. You will find that if you boondock the LED bulbs are easier on your battery.

mobilcastle

Replaced most of our halogens with LED-much cooler and brighter. I found Ebay had the best deal I could find.

dave10a

Halogen lights do get hot and draw more current than LED's. Economically speaking the cost of LED's do not justify them. I see no advantage for LED's for my situation. To me it is like trying to justify Solar Panels for the home to cut the electric bill-- economics dose not justify them. It is more of a fad until the costs come down.

jbeletti

Halogen lights do get hot and draw more current than LED's. Economically speaking the cost does oF LED's do not justify the cost. I see no advantage for LED's for my situation. To me it is like trying to justify Solar Panels for the home to cut the electric bill-- economics dose not justify them.

Except - for around $14, a complete new fixture with LEDs and glass shade - not bad. Replace it once and done. Those G4 Bi-Pin 20 Watt halogens can get expensive. Especially when purchased locally at retail. I've paid as much as $6 each. Ouch. But yeah, cost isn't the real reason to upgrade. Heat loading was tops for me. Power consumption when infrequently boondocking was second.

Cyberdave

Jim,
That was my point, I can get 25 JC10's for $10.00 or so. The 20w have deals as low as $.01 for a 10 pack. That's a whole bunch of bulbs for $14.00. I love LED's but at that price point it makes no sense to me to replace them. We'll see this summer if heat load is increased that much. Since we do not run many lights during the day, the extra heat load would be minimal. For me it just makes no economic sense.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Cyberdave, if you're interested in LED bulbs, I understand that Heartland parts are selling the entire light fixture with LED bulb for $14. If you're a club member, you will save 10%. Halogen bulbs are very hot and don't very long. You will find that if you boondock the LED bulbs are easier on your battery.

This may be a day late and a dollar short, but to see the lights that Jay is referring to you can click here:

http://cloudsandoceans.blogspot.com/2013/02/led-interior-light-changeout.html