Has anyone ever pulled a Monticello w/Chevy 2500HD

ct0218

A lot of salesmen, eager for the sale, will tell you that if it has a hitch you can tow it. It's just not true. Sooner or later you'll see them drug into lawsuits. We have to keep all those attorneys employed! I think your gvwr is based on tire capacity, axle capacity, and suspension capacity. Just changing one component will not do it, and changing all three is just not feasible. Towing with an underweight or undersize vehicle will be uncomfortable, and most likely unsafe. I've been bounced around pretty good in a dually, I just can't imagine a 3/4 ton pulling that weight.

Is a 2500HD the same as a one ton?

I keep getting told that is what the 2500HD means and the 3/4 ton is just the 2500. Is this true?

nhunter

I don't know about the GM but with Ford the F-250 and F-350 have the same Gross Combined Weight Rating, BUT the Gross Vehicle Weight rating on the F-350 is higher than the F-250. What you need to do is get out your manual, look up YOUR cab, axle ratio, SRW or DRW, transmission and truck class(2500HD). Find out what your truck loaded up with family members, fuel and equipment in cab and box weighs then add about 2000lbs for pin weight (thats mine- yours could be higher or lower). If your loaded truck and the extra 2000lbs exceeds your Gross Vehicle Weight rating(its on the drivers door) then you need a bigger truck. The DOT in British Columbia have got wise that many 3/4tons pulling huge trailers are overweight. And I can almost guarantee that if I am close with a SRW F-350 then you will be over with a 2500HD.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Too bad that Heartland is not producing the 3655RD anymore that was patterned from the Monticello, but is lighter and rides on two 7,000# axles. Still, I wouldn't try the 3655RD with less than a one ton truck. In fact, I decided to upgrade my 3500 SRW with a 3.73 to a 3500 DRW with a 4.10 to stay legal. The stability of the dual rear wheels is nice, but parking it is a bit of a pain when we have parked the BH.

phranc

N Hunter .. yes they did in my year model (06 early). I think I read on here that they have gone to a heavier frame on those being produced today.
One reason we purchased the 3600 was the # 7000 axels and the 'G'rated tires...

nhunter

We also have an early 06 and compared to my buddies Montana 3400 (same length, 4 slides) ours is a lot heavier. Sure do love our Bighorn though

fhollan

Let me throw in my two bits, even that I'm three weeks late since the last post. I started off with the BH back in July 06. At that time I had a F250 PSD 7.3. It pulled the BH just fine. My concern was the pin weight. I took it on three short trips, since I was leery of the long trips and asking for trouble. Last January, 50 miles from home, passing a Ford dealer, I noticed a Ford dually on the lot. Turned out to be a 06, like new, and only 7200 miles on it. The short of it, I bought it. They even got me a new B&W Companion on the trade-in. The deals are out there, and I feel better about the combination. Better be safe!

Last edited:

fhollan

As I mentioned, I got the truck in January. My BH is in storage under roof, and the weather hasn't been that cooperative in Indiana. This truck has a 4.10 ratio. And people that I've talked to with approximate the same setup told me they love it, and no problems. And I've seen a lot of F350's & 3500's with 5ers of that size. One thing is for sure, I will be taking longer trips this year. I'll keep you advised.

fhollan

nhunter: As I promised to keep you advised on the way the F350 pulled the BH. I finally had the chance today to get it out of the barn for the first time this year, hitch it up, checked everything out, and take her down the highway for about 25 miles. And the TV done a fabulous job. The whole rig sat even, went uphill without any problems, felt more stable and believe me I felt more secure with this TV. So in other words, can't wait to take a longer trip. The cpmarison between the 7.3 and the 6.0 I didn't realy find any difference, since I had the the rear end modified to a 4.10 from a 3.55 on the F250. So as far as pulling the BH it was the same. My concern was the pin wieght. Hope this answers your question. Happy Camping

nhunter

Hate to say it but after all the headaches and problems with my first 6.0, I can't tell the difference either.:eek: