Hauling Bicycles with Heartland Trailers - what are you doing?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hi Brent,
I too have an Augusta. I had my dealer install a hitch for me. We tried to use the one from My Bighorn that I traded in but found that the frame work on the Augusta was a bit different so they fabricated a new 2" hitch. They had to add (2) 2" x 2" tubular steel from I-beam to I-beam than add the hitch to those (2) bars. Worked out very nice and the system if very firm.

Good luck,

Mark

Attachments

• 100_0388.JPG
    100_0388.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 100_0390.JPG
    100_0390.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 100

Delaine and Lindy

mrcomer, looks great and very professional. I have our bikes stored in our basement. Takes up some space so we can't take stuff we don't need. And it keeps the bikes dry and out of the weather. Our basement on the Landmark is a little smaller than our Cambridge. In the Cambridge we used the fork locks than Jim show above. But I like your idea. GBY.......

The main feature that had us looking at the Bighorn was the huge basement storage with the large doors to match. We always travel with our bikes and found that having them stored out of the weather was the best. Our mountain bikes are not K-Mart quality with tractor seats and keeping them in operating condition is my job. So the extra time it may take getting the bikes or other stored items in or out does not come close to the time of servicing and cleaning a bike that has been hanging out in the elements.
The front wheels come off with a quick release axle and the seat post lowers with a similiar device. Last time I seperated the bikes with a large piece of cardboard, but I tinkering with an improvement.

Good Luck and take you bikes, it's a great way to see the most things on your trip.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Does Heartland have a rear hitch option yet?
my 08 augusta does not have one

Not that I know of. It is possible to add a hitch to the rear where you can attach a bike rack to, although it is pricy. We use the 6 speed foldup bikes and put them in the basement. They ride great and take up little space. I like that option better as we had some friends get their bikes stolen from their RV while they were eating at a restaurant.

pickuphunt

I have hauled my bikes in a bike rack in the square receiver on the back of the pickup. I did have to have the vertical portion of the carrier shorten to clear the 5th wheel over hang. I do have a Super Glide hitch, so the 5er moves back automatically when I turn so the bikes do not hit the 5er. I do have to put the bikes on after hooking up the 5er and remove the bikes before unhooking. I really only take the bikes when we go to Texas for three months. WFM(works for me).

buckeyebob

hello ,i have a 09 2900mk sundance and i just put a receiver on my bumper for my bike rack.it cost 56.00 from jc whitney.made by curt.rated at 350 tongue wt,and 3500 tow weight.fits over bumper and has 2 BIG bolts on top .installed wed nite and left thursday for maiden voyage in new 5er.it fit a little tight cuz of the alum.diamond skin on hitch.i had to dremel grind top hole a bit for bolt to line up,but its really a strong setup.2 inch receiver and safety chain holes.very substantial set up!!!! its 78 bucks in another catalog .i also bought a chair rack for ladder on rv.this was shipped free total was under 90 bucks for both items.any other questions let me know. bob