Have you experienced Lippert Level Up Popping.

Have you experienced "popping" sounds when Lippert level-up system is in use?

• Yes

Votes: 50 82.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 18.0%

• Total voters

Mburtsvt

Re: Lippert Level up Popping Sounds

Going to get some of this additive and try it. I have a 2014 Landmark and mine has always "popped". Usually as soon as I get in bed and I think the whole thing is going to hit the ground (I know it's not going to). It's aggravating. Glad to hear of this (possible) solution.

Of the 3 additives - do any of you recommend one over the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just remember to remove the same amount of fluid you are adding in. A turkey baster will help in this. It takes about 3-4 cycles of the system to get the additional “fork fluid” through the system.

Stick with the Cat fluid, Make sure you get the correct "weight" fluid.

Gaffer

Try the CAT fluid. It costs more but the Torco didn't have a long-term help for my 2015 BH.

David-and-Cheryl

Going to get some of this additive and try it. I have a 2014 Landmark and mine has always "popped". Usually as soon as I get in bed and I think the whole thing is going to hit the ground (I know it's not going to). It's aggravating. Glad to hear of this (possible) solution.

Of the 3 additives - do any of you recommend one over the other?
I used the CAT additive described in the Lippert bulletin, mainly because there was a CAT dealership nearby and no motorcycle specialty stores. But supposedly any of the three should work equally well.

By the way, the hardest part is siphoning out a quart of the existing fluid to make room for the additive. Be sure to follow the instructions in the bulletin exactly to get the right proportion of additive to ATF, and to mix it throughout the system.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

I used the CAT additive described in the Lippert bulletin, mainly because there was a CAT dealership nearby and no motorcycle specialty stores. But supposedly any of the three should work equally well.
You did well using the CAT additive. The CAT additive is just that, an additive. The others are oil with an additive.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Guys,
This is something we have Never heard, I wish we had so I would know what to expect. As you can see we have a new 5er so maybe lippert has done something to correct to problem, doses anyone know if has happened to new units??????

Ours is new purchased as of January, built in October 2015, and yes we have it some. I need to get the Cat additive, just haven't been able to find it locally.

dlw930

Our 2013 Landmark "popped" frequently until I installed the Origen SnapPads a little over a month ago. Since then, I can count on one hand the times I heard them "pop". We're full-timers, so we're in the coach every day and have been set up on a variety of surfaces, mostly gravel, but also concrete. This is just one of the benefits we've found to the SnapPads.

plshilo

Our 2013 Landmark "popped" frequently until I installed the Origen SnapPads a little over a month ago. Since then, I can count on one hand the times I heard them "pop". We're full-timers, so we're in the coach every day and have been set up on a variety of surfaces, mostly gravel, but also concrete. This is just one of the benefits we've found to the SnapPads.

David,
That maybe why we have never heard the "popping" we have SnapPads installed from day one.....

Miltp920

We did have this with our Cyclone. I believe I read a thread in history that led me to build tall blocks to put under the pads. My front blocks were about 6 inches to allow the rig to "do the level dance", and the middle and back were closer to 8 inches. After I started using the taller blocks, I did not hear the popping anymore. It was most prominent with large temperature swings.

RoadJunkie

First, with the overwhelming number that have experienced the popping, why doesn't Lippert/Heartland install the hydraulic additive at the factory? Cost? Let's be real...<$35 per rig?

Second, from where does the popping sound originate? If snappads and blocks eliminate the sound, then is isolating the feet from a hard base (concrete or asphalt) the answer? Otherwise, why do the snappads cure the problem?

danemayer

First, with the overwhelming number that have experienced the popping, why doesn't Lippert/Heartland install the hydraulic additive at the factory? Cost? Let's be real...<$35 per rig?

Second, from where does the popping sound originate? If snappads and blocks eliminate the sound, then is isolating the feet from a hard base (concrete or asphalt) the answer? Otherwise, why do the snappads cure the problem?

First, "overwhelming number" may not be the case. Not everyone has noisy jacks. Some have very loud noises. Some occasional popping. Others no problem at all. Prior to Lippert releasing this LIP Sheet in mid-2013, the number of posts on this problem was extremely high. Since them, the number has dropped to a relatively low level. I think if Lippert or Heartland believed the problem was pervasive, they would call for the anti-stiction fluid to be added at the factory.

Second, it seems that as temperature changes occur, pressure builds inside the jacks. The anti-stiction fluid allows the mechanism to adjust more freely, relieving the pressure buildup before it's enough to get noisy. Reducing the extension of the jacks also seems to reduce the pressure buildup. Snap Pads also seem to help, probably because they allow micro-movements that relieve pressure. $0.99 cutting boards from Walmart may help if you don't have Snap Pads.

Some people have commented that they can't find the fluid locally. Amazon sells Torco for about $20. Maxima is around $13.

Obviously it's a pain to have to deal with, but there are simple solutions available.

SNOKING

I do not think snappads cure the issue, however then may mask it.

stic·tionˈstikSHən/
nounPHYSICS

[COLOR=#878787 !important][/COLOR]

• the friction that tends to prevent stationary surfaces from being set in motion.

What happens as hydraulic fluid expands or contracts from temperature changes the ram moves a little bit. So if the ram seals are sticky to the ram, it builds up or looses a little pressure and movement occurs suddenly AKA pops, and a hard surface causes that movement and sound to resonates through the trailer. The stiction additive helps the cylinder ram to move smoothly and not in jerks. Chris

MCTalley

Ours pop when extended a pretty good distance (i.e. on a normal, level site), especially under fairly large temperature extremes. Back in October after we had settled into our fall site in Alabama, the temperatures were in the 80's during the day and down into the 50's at night. We'd hear them pop from time to time. I pulled up the off-door-side jacks and put blocks under them which reduced the noise a lot.

When we set up in Panama City Beach a couple weeks ago, I put a rubber pad and two (front) or four (middle and rear) Lynx Levelers under the jacks when we set up. I don't remember hearing any popping. I put the same under them when we arrived back in Alabama yesterday.

We do have Snap Pads on ours and it didn't really seem to make much difference. Our fluid level is currently low due to recently repairing a hydraulic leak (on a slide ram, not on a jack). I've got two quarts of fork oil on the way from Amazon and will use those to top the level back up (one quart at a time). We'll see how that does.

Gaffer

Ours pop when extended a pretty good distance (i.e. on a normal, level site), especially under fairly large temperature extremes. Back in October after we had settled into our fall site in Alabama, the temperatures were in the 80's during the day and down into the 50's at night. We'd hear them pop from time to time. I pulled up the off-door-side jacks and put blocks under them which reduced the noise a lot.

When we set up in Panama City Beach a couple weeks ago, I put a rubber pad and two (front) or four (middle and rear) Lynx Levelers under the jacks when we set up. I don't remember hearing any popping. I put the same under them when we arrived back in Alabama yesterday.

We do have Snap Pads on ours and it didn't really seem to make much difference. Our fluid level is currently low due to recently repairing a hydraulic leak (on a slide ram, not on a jack). I've got two quarts of fork oil on the way from Amazon and will use those to top the level back up (one quart at a time). We'll see how that does.

Send the fork oil back and use the Cat stuff.