Head first into the deep end without water wings.

aviator41

So the family has taken the plunge and become new, excited owners of a Heartland Oakmont with the 390MBL floorplan.

I have to admit, I'm both extremely excited and just a little bit nerve wracked at pulling this RV, as I've never really pulled anything larger than a 24 foot boat.

So howdy everyone! I'm going to spend a lot of time reading on the forums!

danemayer

Hi aviator41,

Congratulations on the new Oakmont and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

One of the areas of the forum you might want to browse is our Heartland User Guide (HUG) section. You can get to it from the TOOLS tab at top of page, or from this link. These are owner-written guides that augment the Heartland Trailer manual and manufacturer manuals.

mlpeloquin

Just to start with, pull froward much farther than you would normally then turn left or right more sharply. Keep to the right side of the left turn and left side for a right turn. Once you are used to it, you will adjust to the length and the distance required to complete a left turn without going over a curb or hitting something. Watch out for low hanging tree limbs. you will get used to it soon enough.

avvidclif

Deserted parking lot practice time. Take a few cones or buckets and practice driving around them. When you get the hang of how the longer rig turns start on backing. It's all a matter of practice and getting used to it. And as said, watch out for low clearances, tree limbs etc.

It won't take long.

Westwind

And - the spotter needs to learn and practice what a spotter is suppose to do - mine says I can't back up right and she definitely doesn't spot right, I can never see her in my rear view mirror or hear her. So I get out and figure it out myself. We have been providing campground entertainment for 12 years. You definitely need to learn to laugh at yourself.