Heartland Trailer Paperwork

Westwind

Just a question, I'm in the process of putting together all of the information I got on our Bighorn in the Vinyl Folder. On our last TT I took everything and put it into a three ring binder separated by function, Electric Hitch Jack, AC, Refer, Stove, Furnace etc. Over the years I used that book many times refreshing my memory on something or reading about something so I could repair it or service it.
The binder did make it easy. First time I saw a binder was when I was looking at purchasing a "Sunline TT" no longer in business and it impressed me. The Heartland folder is nice but a binder is easier.
Wonder if anyone did anything different?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Nope. Everything trailer is contained in a large 3-ring binder inserted into plastic page protectors with index tabs. During the summer, it stays in the rig and during the winter, it's at home. Just about any manual or info sheet I can find online is in a computer file, as well.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
It sure would be nice if these items where on a DVD or even made sure they were all on the WIKI here on the forum at least.

Westwind

I can understand why the manufacturer uses a vinyl folder. It's an easy way to consolidate everything from different manufacturers in one place and keep them from getting lost. Never thought about the folder with pockets.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Good ideas, guys! We have all of our original manuals and paperwork in the Heartland zippered bag, but additional paperwork from products and upgrades, etc. we've added made the zippered bag too bulky and hard to close. I took out the "extra" paperwork, and these two ideas are worth considering for a solution. I do have another folder I labeled "forum ideas" where I print out great ideas, upgrades, products and tips from the forum to keep for later reference.

E

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
What some great ideas on how to manage all that stuff in the blue pouch from HL. I spent about 1/2 hour the other day going thru the pouch trying to find something which was kind of silly. Sounds like a great winter project.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I've scanned everything and put it on a program called Evernote. Evernote let's me sync with the evernote server and I am able to view all the documents on my iphone, my computer or my Kindle Fire.

danemayer

I also keep copies on Evernote. Everything's available even when I'm away from the folder with the papers. Evernote is also useful for easily capturing information. For example, the other day I read a posting about Flojet Water Pumps and saved it to Evernote. It's also a good place to keep medical contact info and medical history. You can get to the info from anywhere, anytime.

Manzan

We have everything in a three ring binder provided by my dealer. It has pockets at each end for extra things I find.

wdk450

Gang:
You know if you have internet access where you are, most of those manuals have been collected online RIGHT HERE at the top of every Forum page under the "Tools" tab, then the "Heartland Owner's Manuals" menu selection (use menus and submenus from there to find what you want).
If there is printed or online info you know of that is NOT included on the online Heartland Owners Manuals, do your fellow Heartlanders a favor and contact one of the moderators to get that info online for everybody!!!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I also keep copies on Evernote. Everything's available even when I'm away from the folder with the papers. Evernote is also useful for easily capturing information. For example, the other day I read a posting about Flojet Water Pumps and saved it to Evernote. It's also a good place to keep medical contact info and medical history. You can get to the info from anywhere, anytime.

I think it is to date the best app I have ever found. If you are using a smart phone you can get the docscanner and it will scan and post to evernote using the camera. docscanner has software that finds the edge of the paper and then processes the photo to look like a scanned document.

Duramax1

Nope. Everything trailer is contained in a large 3-ring binder inserted into plastic page protectors with index tabs. During the summer, it stays in the rig and during the winter, it's at home. Just about any manual or info sheet I can find online is in a computer file, as well.

I do the same.

Westwind

I took a look at the Heartland Manuals tab, but there is so much out there that does change for year to year. Refer winterization, radio manual, TV Manuals (Brands), awning (Brand). You see where I'm headed. It almost needs to be customized by each trailer that's why I was looking for suggestions. I'm going to go with what I'm used to, the three ring binder. I don't have one of the new fangled phones, and you can't always count on a computer connection so
this will definately work in a now power/no connection situation.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A print copy of a manual is worth twenty "online" versions when you don't have service.

danemayer

A print copy of a manual is worth twenty "online" versions when you don't have service.
Very true. That's the problem with trying to access manuals posted on the forum. If your service is poor, or you're not in a service area, you have a problem.

Evernote stores a copy locally on your computer and syncs automatically to your smartphone and/or other computers. Once downloaded and stored in Evernote, the docs are available whether you have service or not. On the smartphone, you have a choice of whether to enable "offline" copies so they'll be available on the phone when you don't have an internet connection.

I find it more convenient to read the hardcopy. But it's often much easier and faster to search the softcopy version for a particular item of interest. And there are many documents I've downloaded over the past year that didn't come in my vinyl bag from Heartland. They're all stored in Evernote.

To each his own, but if you're looking to go beyond the bag of hardcopy manuals, Evernote is a good way to go.

Westwind

Evernote is impressive, I didn't know anything like that existed. Right now I want to organize the hard copy so everything is easy to find and then maybe go to evernote. I just want the hard copy available if I'm on the side of the road or in a campground that doesn't have WiFi or my computer craps out since I have that kind of luck. I have worked around computers for over 20 years and "She" always wants to get tempermental when you really can't afford that type of behavor.:rolleyes: