Heartland Wilderness 2175 RB tire pressure when upgrading from Class C to Class D

SailorDon

The original tires for my Heartland Wilderness seemed marginal for load capacity.
I had a blowout after about 4,000 miles.
The label for the tire and load information says Class C tires at 50 psi.
I replaced the Class C tires with Class D tires which are rated at max. pressure of 65 psi.

I have run the new tires at 60 psi for about 1,000 miles. I find the trailer handles better (less sway).
Are Class D tires better for my travel trailer?
Is there any danger with running the Class D tires at 60 psi?

mlpeloquin

You should look at the manufactures Load/Inflation tables for your tires. More air is not a problem. Not enough air is a problem that can cause heating and tire failure. Too much air can make the trailer bouncy though. It is generally ok to have five to ten psi more that what is minimally required to have some caring capacity margin.

SailorDon

You should look at the manufactures Load/Inflation tables for your tires. More air is not a problem. Not enough air is a problem that can cause heating and tire failure. Too much air can make the trailer bouncy though. It is generally ok to have five to ten psi more that what is minimally required to have some caring capacity margin.
I did as you recommended and checked the tire manufacturers Load/Inflation tables for my tire size and class.
The max. load for my travel trailer is 6900 pounds.
The max. load for my tire when inflated to 60 psi is 1950 pounds.
1950 X 4 = 7800 pounds.
At 65 psi, the tires are rated for 2040 pounds.
2040 X 4 = 8160 pounds.

The tires specified by Heartland (Class C) are rated at max. 50 psi 1760 pounds.
1760 X 4 = 7040 pounds.
The trailer weight table specifies maximum loaded weight of 6900 pounds.
It seems to me that Heartland is specifying tires that will meet the maximum trailer weight requirements at an absolute bare minimum.
Always travel with your freshwater and holding tanks empty.
And carry your camping supplies in the tow vehicle.
Sort of like tent camping.:)

Since the Class D tire manufacturer specifies 1950 pounds at 60 psi inflation, I believe I am operating within safe limits.
I don't think I will be in the "too bouncy" category.

danemayer

I'm sure that when I am up to cruising speed (60 to 65 mph) on the highway, the tire pressure will be 65 psi or above due to heat buildup.

Yes, pressure increases from the heat buildup at highway speed, and more so in the summer. But tire engineers take that into account when they spec the cold inflation. So if the sidewall says cold inflation max pressure of 65 PSI, as a general rule you should use that figure when tires are at ambient air temp and not second guess the engineers.

SailorDon

Yes, pressure increases from the heat buildup at highway speed, and more so in the summer. But tire engineers take that into account when they spec the cold inflation. So if the sidewall says cold inflation max pressure of 65 PSI, as a general rule you should use that figure when tires are at ambient air temp and not second guess the engineers.

No. I would not second guess the tire engineers. When the manufacturer publishes the load for given tire pressures, I do not arbitrarily inflate to the maximum tire pressure.
Published table. Click on image for enlarged view. Tire size ST205/75R14
TravelTrailerTireInflationTable.jpg
My travel trailer (max. weight 6,900 pounds) only requires 50 psi to meet the load/inflation requirement.
I have found that at 60 psi, my travel trailer tracks better. There is more sway at 50 psi.
I don't think the handling performance would be noticeably improved at 65 psi as compared to 60 psi.
The manufacturer's Load/Inflation table lists 60 psi as a safe inflation pressure for 7,800 pounds (for 4 tires).
That is 900 pounds more than my 6,900 pounds max. trailer weight.
I conclude that I am not second guessing the tire engineers.

danemayer

No. I would not second guess the tire engineers. When the manufacturer publishes the load for given tire pressures, I do not arbitrarily inflate to the maximum tire pressure.
Published table. Click on image for enlarged view. Tire size ST205/75R14
View attachment 60874
My travel trailer (max. weight 6,900 pounds) only requires 50 psi to meet the load/inflation requirement.
I have found that at 60 psi, my travel trailer tracks better. There is more sway at 50 psi.
I don't think the handling performance would be noticeably improved at 65 psi as compared to 60 psi.
The manufacturer's Load/Inflation table lists 60 psi as a safe inflation pressure for 7,800 pounds (for 4 tires).
That is 900 pounds more than my 6,900 pounds max. trailer weight.
I conclude that I am not second guessing the tire engineers.

I upgraded my tires from Load Range G to Load Range H. The cold max pressure of 125 PSI provides 4805 lbs of carrying capacity - far more load capacity than I need. So I inflate them to 110, which still provides carrying capacity at least 30% more than the measured weight requires - which provides a safety margin.