"C" rated tires to "D" rated tires.......

marc515

I posted this on the MPG forum, but figure it belongs here.

I currently have a 2011 MPG with thePlatnum Package. The MPG currently has 15" Towmax "C" loadrangetires, and I wanted to upgrade to the 15" loadrange "D" tires for an extra margin of safety.

The "C" range tires= 50 PSI; "D" range= 65 PSI, butyou can go to 60, or 55 PSI with lower weight ratings

I was ready to order the tires, but figuredI’d give Heartland a call, and according to thier Customer Service, the MPGrims are only rated to handle 50 PSI, and they do not recommend exceeding that pressure.

I was very surprised to hear these Aluminum rims wouldn’t handle the extra 15 PSI. Looks like I will need new rims if I want to upgrade my tires.

I just called Maxxis tires, and they indicated I could run the "D" tires at 50 PSI, and the load capability would be the same as the "C" tire (1,820Lbs). Hopefully running them at 50 PSI doesn't overheat them.

At least if I go with the "D", I would have an 8 ply tire instead of a 6 ply tire.

I'm sure there's enough margin of safety built into the rime to go up to 55 PSI.

Anyone know who makes the rims for Heartland?

UPDATE: Just got ahold of the company that supplies the wheels to Heartland, and according to them, my wheels are rated to 65PSI.

Last edited:

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Thats good news!
You probally will never have over 55psi on them anyways. (for correct tire wear).

MPG 181 dry weight is only 2820 lbs! thats less than 1500 lbs load per tire loaded. At 55psi the tire is rated @ 2270lbs. You have a huge buffer zone @ 55psi. or even 50psi.

see Maxxis chart http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Files/m8008load.pdf

Last edited:

pegmikef

Maybe tireman will see this thread, . . . I'm not sure, but I think he said underinflated tires was one of the leading causes of blowouts. When I had D rated tires on my NT I faithfully tried to keep them at 65 psi (and still had a blow out, but it was a Tow Max/.

TireHobby

An owner sets the stage for catastrophe when using replacement tires rated at 65 psi on rims rated at 50 psi.

The only way to take advantage of the increased load capacity of the LRD tire is increasing the air pressure.

Mr. Sawn Brennan is the east coast Maxxis tire representative (678-407-6772). I’ve had a few conversations with him. Once about manipulating tire pressures. He will only recommend full sidewall pressures for Maxxis trailer tires. However, he also said the final say so comes from the vehicle manufacturer. If they will recommend something lower than full sidewall pressure, Maxxis will support their decision.

TireHobby

marc515

An owner sets the stage for catastrophe when using replacement tires rated at 65 psi on rims rated at 50 psi.

The only way to take advantage of the increased load capacity of the LRD tire is increasing the air pressure.

Mr. Sawn Brennan is the east coast Maxxis tire representative (678-407-6772). I’ve had a few conversations with him. Once about manipulating tire pressures. He will only recommend full sidewall pressures for Maxxis trailer tires. However, he also said the final say so comes from the vehicle manufacturer. If they will recommend something lower than full sidewall pressure, Maxxis will support their decision.

TireHobby

Well,......I talked to Mr. Brennan yesterday, and he indicated The tire I interested in could be run anywhere from 50 to the Max pressure of 65.

Fortunately, the rims can handle the 65

mobilcastle

Check your rims to see what the max pressure is. May be stamped on the inside of the rim or inside the rim. I don't think it is a problem-maxxis is a good tire line.

TireHobby

Well,......I talked to Mr. Brennan yesterday, and he indicated The tire I interested in could be run anywhere from 50 to the Max pressure of 65.

Fortunately, the rims can handle the 65

Sorry, I forgot that going up in a load range is also considered “plus sizing”. Plus sizing requires the installer to set new recommended tire pressures for the plus sized tires. When using the same sized tire as you have, increasing the tire pressure is not necessary because the replacement tire matches the load capacity of the OE tire at the same recommended tire pressure. What you will have with the LRD tire is 15 psi of available tire pressure to use as load capacity reserves.

But, remember, at 50 psi you will still have a LRC tire. Says so right on their load inflation chart.

Tire Hobby

marc515

But, remember, at 50 psi you will still have a LRC tire. Says so right on their load inflation chart.

Tire Hobby

Yes, that is true. I figured I would start at 55 or 60 PSI and see how it goes.

Isn't the "D" tire a better/stronger tire overall? I thought the "C" was 6 ply, and the "D" was 8 ply?

Tumblebug

I had a MPG 183 that I put the D range tires on. The rims on the trailer were Vision Legend 5 -141 gunmetal machined lip. I contacted Treadit, they also indicated to me that the rims were rated to 65lbs. Had no problems and pulled the trailer about 3000 miles with that setup.
http://www.visionwheel.com/wheel.cfm?id=683

I have an extra hub cap if you need one.