Heartlands comitment to Caliber edition

OBX-GL

Fishing for thoughts here on the Caliber Edition brand.

I was at our local (Toronto, Can.) Rv show recently and saw little that would entice me to make a Heartland purchase. Obviously local Heartland dealers cannot bring everything out but i also feel the product doesn't stand out the way it did a couple of years ago. As a happy Caliber Edition owner i was very disappointed to see the new versions. I viewed the Caliber brand as the upscale TT in the Heartland family and it seems that each year the Caliber is being diluted. First no body paint as standard now the cap is not standard as are other features. Making std. features options i feel dilutes the brand and based on what i saw at the show had many competitors upstaging it. Many of the brands that i considered when i made my purchase felt higher end and showed that the manufacturer had a clear focus on who they wanted there consumer to be.

My Caliber Edition still holds up against the competition, barely. The new Calibers that were at the show do not in my opinion. I belong to team Heartland and want to remain on this team, that is the reason for this post.

OBX-GL

Yes i did notice the Sundance TTs they do look interesting, limited to larger sizes though. A quick google search however didn't prove much (TT) availability and dealer network. Here again however it appears everything is based on options. Seems duplication is rampant, so many brands with no focus or identity. Sundance, Caliber, and Wilderness can all be optioned high or low very, very, nearly identical. I guess this allows dealers across the street from one another to carry the same trailer.

Interestingly the brand that did have some individuality "Edge" has disappeared.

pegmikef

Funny you should mention that, because our first Heartland trailer was the Edge M21. Just needed a little more room ergo, the North Trail. Frankly, the one I am most interested in is the Sundance TT 274LRS . . . looks to be about the same size as the 26LRSS but has the extra slides.

pegmikef

I don't think it is even in production yet as non of the online wholesale dealers seem able to find anything out about it. . . but yeah we're ready to get a new one. Maybe we will cross paths sometime . . . I spent my sophmore year (1955/56) at a place called North Toronto Collegiate Institue and lived about five blocks from there

OBX-GL

I think/hope our trailer has got a number of years left in it. It's just my wife and i so we aren't to hard on it. Basically it's used for the summer months in Hatteras NC. as my wife is a teacher and i shut down my business for a month and a half. We are into Windsurfing and kite-surfing so have looked heavy at a trip to South padre or Bird Island Basin.

Googled the T. institute looks like the original building was torn down in 2007. We are located about 20min north of the city but i work in that area every day.

mjd2k

I started a similar thread. We looked at what turned out to be 2012 models that I'm pretty sure we were told were 2013s. However, we have since found out that the new 2013 models are diluted. Compared to even 2 years ago, many features are gone and not even offered. Obviously made more economically. Struggling with this.

Tmichaels

I ordered a 2013 26rlss in Feb last year thinking it would be just like the 2012 models. The trailer was delievered by May. The one extra we got from the factor was a cabinet door for the bathroom vanity base cabinet, nice place for towels and looks so much better than just a open storage area. There was no wall paper border in the trailer, turned out the wife and I liked the new look without it. There was no middle cabinet door on the bedroom overhead cabinet. Heartland sent me one that I installed myself by cutting the opening out larger to fit the door. There was no cabinet door over the awning and sideout switches. Heartland sent me one that was an easy install. The great surprise that the 2013 model came with that I didn't know about was Azdel composite exterior panels. Thats was a great plus in my book. Looks are nice in a rv but the way its been built is more important to me. I spent about 9 months looking for the best built, more areodynamic (ordered mine with the areodynamic fiberglass cap), better insulated, wide axles for a smoother tow, affordable and nice looking (mostly for the wife) trailer. I now enjoy towing with one hand on the stearing wheel because this trailer tows that smooth and tracks straight behind my truck. Gas mileage is up around 2 mpg over my old trailer (2008 kz spree 26rlss) Both are 30' in lenght and my Heartland weights 400 pounds more after cargo changes. 26rlss has alot of windows, great for fall and spring. With radiant barrier double bubble insulation on the inside windows (during the summer and winter), the ac keeps the trailer nice and cold in the summer and nice and warm in the winter. Heartland has a great product and we love our new trailer. I sure hope Heartland keeps the North Trail loaded with features and good looks...

OBX-GL

mjd2k - Tmichaels
Bought ours in March 2011 along side another couple who were buying a 2011 Caliber 26RLSS. Theirs was painted Gray as i though ours would be, till they pulled our white one out and parked it next to theirs. A complicated conversation evolved between both couples and the dealer, and we were informed that ours was a 2011.5. I wanted the Gray paint as that's what all brochures at the time illustrated. I had never heard/seen of a plain white caliber before and took convincing of it's equal value. Both couples toured each others trailers and considered a swap. Each had different features and catered to each couple differently. Later the dealer told us our trailer had upgrades that he hadn't seen on Calibers so far, then informed us the gray model didn't have the remote key fob controlling the power jack's, awning,slide,lights,etc. as well as a few other things. So i guess there really was no continuity with the brand.

OBX-GL

Tmicheals
We have the cabinet door for the bathroom vanity base cabinet, as well as the center one over the bed and slide/switch cover. What are the Azdel composite exterior panels ? Not sure we got those. Does everyone have the frame-less windows ? The Calibers at the show didn't if i remember correctly.

I'm surprised to hear about the deletion of cupboard doors. How did cutting the opening bigger go ? Was the wood chippy and hard to finish well ? I'm asking because i want to change/enlarge our TV cabinet for a bigger TV. Any thoughts ?

Glad to hear yours tow's so well, as does mine. Goducks (the other thread) has me puzzled with his bad towing performance.

EandJ

mjd2k - Tmichaels
Bought ours in March 2011 along side another couple who were buying a 2011 Caliber 26RLSS. Theirs was painted Gray as i though ours would be, till they pulled our white one out and parked it next to theirs. A complicated conversation evolved between both couples and the dealer, and we were informed that ours was a 2011.5. I wanted the Gray paint as that's what all brochures at the time illustrated. I had never heard/seen of a plain white caliber before and took convincing of it's equal value. Both couples toured each others trailers and considered a swap. Each had different features and catered to each couple differently. Later the dealer told us our trailer had upgrades that he hadn't seen on Calibers so far, then informed us the gray model didn't have the remote key fob controlling the power jack's, awning,slide,lights,etc. as well as a few other things. So i guess there really was no continuity with the brand.

We have a new 2012 NT Caliber 31QBSS. It has all of the additional doors that Tmichaels was talking about. It does not have the remote key fob for the power jacks, awning etc. Nor does it have the frame-less windows. It does however have the interior wall paper border, which is the one deletion my wife liked that we saw on a 2013 we looked at. We have a build date of Jan. 2012. So it seems like there were running changes/deletions through out the year.

Mine tows very well - just finally tried out the full setup this past weekend as I also changed to a different hitch at the same time as getting a new trailer. I was driving 65 and also able to do it one-handed, despite a very windy day. Even while eating a hamburger at the same time. This was unheard of with our old rig (Fleetwood Mallard) - topped out 50-55 mph because of severe sway and both hands-white knuckled on the wheel.

RuralPastor

mjd2k - Tmichaels

We have the 2011 "gray" model. Our's is missing the key fob, frameless windows, etc.

I would have thought there would be a better market for high-end travel trailers. I know some manufacturers still build them, but very few. It seems most are going with the 5er market. At the end of the day, it's about the money. It always is. We feel fortunate to have a quality trailer built by a reputable manufacturer that hopefully will serve us for years to come. We still haven't found a trailer with which we'd be willing to trade. Travel safe.

OBX-GL

We have the 2011 "gray" model. Our's is missing the key fob, frameless windows, etc.

I would have thought there would be a better market for high-end travel trailers. I know some manufacturers still build them, but very few. It seems most are going with the 5er market. At the end of the day, it's about the money. It always is. We feel fortunate to have a quality trailer built by a reputable manufacturer that hopefully will serve us for years to come. We still haven't found a trailer with which we'd be willing to trade. Travel safe.

Was waiting for your thoughts :)
I agree, as we still love our trailer too. True it is about money and what sells, and we will never know what are the losers. This is why i started the thread as i wanted to see if others though as me, or how much demand could be seen. When traveling i need my trucks bed so a 5ver is out. We don't have kids and vacation for a 6-7week period, and enjoy our slightly higher end trailer. My point, If i was in the market for another trailer would Heartland be competitive with other brands ? I'm not so sure, at least as much as back when i bought. IMO having things diluted or having to many options complicates things during build and complicates sale to the customer. The Brand also loses identity.

goducks11

We have been to a couple RV shows recently here in Oregon. We look at mostly 5'ers as thats the way were heading after this TT. As far as TT's go I feel our NT is as good and better than most out there. However being in the same state that Forestriver and Northwood MFG have plants we will probably deal on them. I still think Heartland makes a great 5th wheel but in our price range Artic Fox and the Wildcat Maxx are every bit as nice with better suspension. We recently looked at a Denali 5th wheel that had a higher GVWR than our NT 26LRSS and it looked like they put the cheapest springs, shackles and equalizer. Ran away from it. Our NT with a lower GVWR has 2x the frame/suspension as the heavier Denali.

RuralPastor

Was waiting for your thoughts :)
I agree, as we still love our trailer too. True it is about money and what sells, and we will never know what are the losers. This is why i started the thread as i wanted to see if others though as me, or how much demand could be seen. When traveling i need my trucks bed so a 5ver is out. We don't have kids and vacation for a 6-7week period, and enjoy our slightly higher end trailer. My point, If i was in the market for another trailer would Heartland be competitive with other brands ? I'm not so sure, at least as much as back when i bought. IMO having things diluted or having to many options complicates things during build and complicates sale to the customer. The Brand also loses identity.

You are right on. Heartland's philosophy is to sell volumes of TT's to the largest group of potential buyers, thus keeping prices low. The problem, as you suggest, is that Heartland is losing ground with other manufacturers in this market niche. If there was a higher end Heartland product, I might be interested. Sometime soon I hope to upload a pictorial display of some of the modifications I've made to the Caliber. Hopefully, this will stimulate some discussion about this great model of Heartland product.

priorguy

My dealer although part f a conglomerate is primairly a Heartland dealer with everything from MPG to Bighorn and Landmark. All the North trails on their lot this year were Caliber edition. They have the Trailrunner for lower line but the price difference was minimal. We chose a used North trail over a new Forest River when it was virtually the same cost. I liked the build quality and features as well as this owners group.

Stargazer

Well, everyone, we did it!! My husband and I ordered our 2014 Heartland North Trail 26lrss!! We are very excited. We placed our order with Lazy Days out of Tampa, Florida and I was able to speak to a representative from Heartland who was excited to share with me a BIG change to the exterior of the unit. He said that ours was going to be one of the firsts with the new 3000 Gel Coating, glossy and high-end look. The color scheme was champagne with dark trimming. We ordered ours with all the packages, 15k BTU a/c, free standing dinette, front cap and power tongue jack. We have been doing extensive research and found Heartland to have better quality with more bang for the buck. Thank you to everyone who have patiently answered our questions which guided us to this decision.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Stargazer, that's good to hear. Congratulations.
I look forward to seeing some pictures of your new rig when it comes in.

Peace
Dave

berky

Awesome! As you can see from our sig we too think North Trail and the 26LRSS are the best.

But now I'm green with envy over your 2014. Oh well, I'll guess I'll just have to be content with giving our baby a wash and wax.