Heater comes on then shuts off.

Trying to find out the best way to get to this unit to work on it. The heater is located under a set of bunk beds. Does any one have one In a similar location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

HI mikesmith5984,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

You didn't mention what model / floor plan / year of Heartland RV you have. That might be helpful in finding someone with a similar layout. But it's very likely that you'll be working on the furnace from the outside anyway.

If your furnace blower runs for 20-30 seconds, but then shuts down, it may just be due to a propane flow problem. Make sure you have full tanks. Close the tank valves, wait 10 seconds, re-open the valves very, very slowly (there's an overflow protection device that can trigger if you open the valve quickly). Another thing to try is to switch which tank you run from. If you have a floor plan with the tanks on both sides, the doorside tank will have a simple regulator. That regulator or its pigtail can fail.

Also make sure the outside furnace vents are not blocked and no insects have nested in them. You can also have a problem if the interior return air vent is blocked.

Here's a link to a folder with a Furnace Troubleshooting Guide written by Gary Brinck.

Thanks for your reply this is the first time I have done this I am sure you can tell. I am not sure of the floor plan but the model is a 2875bh 2014 is the year. If I keep turning the heater on & off sometimes it will light there are no access on the outside other than the intake & exhaust so I am assuming that I will have to take the bottom bed out to gain access to the heater thanks very much for your help with this. Just to mention that the stove oven and hot water heater works great. Again thanks for helping with problem

If there are anything else to check I sure would like to know I am really not sure how to get to it so I am thing it might be the sail switch but again thanks so much

danemayer

If you look at the outside vents, there's probably a removable panel held in place by a few screws. The vents go through holes in the panel. That's how you generally access the furnace to work on it.

Was Gary Brinck's Troubleshooting Guide helpful?

Mine has exhaust fumes on the out side the
The heater is under a set of bunk beds inside the camper don't know really how to get to it. Right

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Mike... We had the same problem with the furnace lighting randomly (worse when coldest). The solution was a new Propane regulator. A lot easier to replace than pulling the furnace.
Cost $50 and took about 30 minutes. Get good one... with a side plug that you can attach a manometer (gauge for measuring H20 column inches / should be 11or 11.5)
Comes factory pre-set at 11.5

CaptnJohn

Access is from OUTSIDE. Depending on make / model ~~ there are 4 screws at the chrome vent. That needs removed and the exhaust will be free to be removed. Then take the screws off the panel and the furnace is looking at ya! Messing with the beds will get you no where.
Mine has exhaust fumes on the out side the
The heater is under a set of bunk beds inside the camper don't know really how to get to it. Right