Help!? Analysis paralysis

Acecuevas

Okay so here is the deal...

I have been shopping for a 5'ver for some time and have narrowed it down to 2 units. The voltage 3818 or the cyclone 4018. Both seem to be quality built 5'vers at least as quality as your going to get for a production rv.

I visited the local dealerships to look at finish quality of each unit.

Voltage 3818

The layout is more ideal then the cyclone but overall very similar.
The weight capacity is a whole 2k more in gvwr...net of about 1k in after water capacity compared to the cyclone
Holds 50 gallons more water
TV's are samsung not sansui

But the Slides scare the !?$& out of me! Post after post about the slides ans leaks and warpage..my god!

So for comparisons I had the cyclone dealership price the following add to compare to the voltage.

1. Add dexter 7k axels
2. 6pt leveling
3. Add 3rd AC
4. Add full body paint

There is nothing negative I can say about what I Saw in the cyclone except little storage for size.

But the price.... 13k more for a similarly equipped voltage... Are you serious!?

And on top of that they will do an axel swap but not sticker the unit at 20k

I have considered having options removed on the cyclone to keep price in line with voltage and was previously completely sold on the voltage until I researched the slide.. Not just on the voltage.

I have a two younger kids and a less than strong wife... Even a simple attempt to force re align the tracks would be a nightmare....

I am at a complete loss at what route to take now...

TV is a 2014 Ram 3500 longhorn DRW with aisin and 4:10

jimtoo

Hi Acecuevas,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Looks like you have been doing lots of research. I will say that Heartland RVs is a great supporter of owners and the Heartland Forum is the best.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
"Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."

Some will say you get what you pay for in RVs. In some ways, that is the case. Manufacturers will cut corners to reduce the cost, that may not be seen until you begin to use the unit. Then, you find out where the money was saved, ultimately at your expense.

Also remember that price is negotiable. some have worked with dealers to obtain up to 35% off MSRP.

Acecuevas

Does anyone have experience with RVwholesalers out of ohio? They seem to be very aggressive in their pricing... Would be quite a trip to get out there but worth it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One thing you need to know. Dealers make up their own MSRP's. See if you can get a HL build sheet for a Cyclone. Their might be one on the forum...so look in the seach box. Anyway, when you get one....build the coach the way you want, add up the prices and then do your shopping for a price. The build sheet is what HL says the MSRP should be and then take 20-25% off that. Buying from Ohio may save you some money, but figure in the fuel costs to go there. If you buy from them, you can have them ship it to you....but it will cost you...maybe a $1.75 per mile. So it might be a wash either way.

Acecuevas

Thanks everyone so far for the replies, the cyclone (heartland) seems to have a good community behind it. I actually had a rep from cyclone reach out to me...that was a nice gesture. I got a quote from a dealer in Ohio and it seems I can really get what I want for a comparable price. However still cannot get them to give me a higher gvwr. even with the 7k dexter axels and upgraded Goodyear tires. I asked if I could get the std pinbox upgraded to an trail air or airborne, I guess the pin is not "engineered" for the 20k...

i would make the 4500 mile round trip if I had too to get the trailer in Ohio but man... The GVWR thing sucks... If your wondering I have a can am maverick max and plans for quads for the kids...eats up most of the capacity unless I always pull empty on water.

If only you could get everything from one manufacturer....

Miltp920

We love everything about our Cyclone 3100 except the OEM tires it came with. I did not join this forum until after I purchased the unit. So, I was ignorant about tires. We found the Cyclone line to have a bit more quality, luxury look and feel. Highly recommend the HD bowl sink in bath. We got it as an option without going the full HD package. Play a few dealers against each other and tell them you will be buying a 5er from the best overall priced dealer. We basically bought our Cyclone in Indiana after walking through the model we wanted in Michigan. Michigan lured us to drive 200 miles for a verbal deal, and then sold the unit online while we were sitting in the one on his lot. Indiana beat Michigan by a few thousand dollars. Get two or more dealers competing for your business. Then buy from the one you want to. But you will know when there is not much more wiggle room, because the dealer will tell you they can not lower their price any more. I used this strategy when I bought my Montana too. The dealers have play room. I drove 250 miles for my Montana, but I saved over a thousand dollars with that dealer.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Acecuevas, as to anyone upgrading the GVWR....I dont know if any builder would do that unless is a custom build. It might be a "legal" thing in play to alter a vehicle. At a higher weight rating, you would need a MUCH bigger truck, say like a MDT.

BTW, I sent you a PM....but did not hear from you.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Does anyone have experience with RVwholesalers out of ohio? They seem to be very aggressive in their pricing... Would be quite a trip to get out there but worth it.

I think DW got a quote from a different dealer in Ohio when we bought our BH in 2010.

There seems to be more competition in the midwest amongst RV dealers, than in the west. They actually gave me an OTD price, printed invoice online.

I took it to your local dealer, (who's name starts with a G) I told them I didn't care about what they had to go through, but if they could come anywhere close to that quote, I would buy from them.
After they agonized over it and hemmed and hawed for a week, "G" dealer came back within $1K after my shipping and/or travel costs, if I was to purchase in the midwest.

I spent the extra $1K and special ordered with the options I wanted from them. It was winter and more convenient than driving to Ohio, so I was willing to spend a little extra.
Plus.....although I am not fond of most dealer service depts. (I prefer independent "repair only" shops), since I bought from them, they are more willing to service it.

As Erika mentioned, I believe it was about 35% off msrp. PM me if you have any questions. Trace

Last edited:

Acecuevas

Well thanks all for the input, life got busy and haven't been able to check back...well I pulled the trigger today. 2015 Cyclone 4018 HD with 7k axels and good years. Now the wait!