Help! Do I need to have trailer brake installed in truck?

Hello all!

We are brand new RV owners and bought a Heartland Mallard 312. We are using a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 to tow it, and plan to use it to go camping next weekend. It will be our first time towing, and will be up in the mountains, so on the way home we will be going down-hill (obviously).

Camping World, where we purchased the RV, never mentioned the option or need for trailer brakes to be installed on our truck, but a close friend who tows their RV via 5th wheel routinely, said that there is no way we can tow without trailer brakes.

Naturally, now we're freaking out because we're a week from our trip and are worried we either need to make an emergent unforeseen expense to have trailer brakes installed, or we shouldn't risk going up north.

What so you, who have many more tow experiences than us, think??

Do you need more information to help? Should we call an RV brake installer for our truck? Has anyone heard of the Autowbrake, and if so is this a viable option for us?

Thanks in advance!

Melanie

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Prdmommyof3 welcome to this great forum. You came to the right place for information
What you really need is a brake controller, not trailer brakes. The controller will control the brakes that are already on your trailer.
If your truck does not have an integrated controller then I would recommend a Tekohsha brand controller.
If you are handy it can be a self install. If not the dealer should be able to install if for a moderate cost. The controller will be in the neighborhood of $150 plus installation.
Have fun on your first adventure.

Peace
Dave

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Like previously stated, the Tekonsha P3 is a great brake controller. You can even buy the pigtail that is specific to your truck make and model. That way you just plug into your vehicles existing wiring and to the unit.

RonTimmer

I used to have a 1500 Ram the same year model as yours and it did not come with a brake controller. However, it was pre-wired from the factory for one so the install took all of 90 minutes. I went with the MOPAR one from the dealer because I knew it would work with my truck and I towed with it for nearly four years with no issues. The instaled price was also pretty reasonable, don't remember the exact amount but I remember it not hurting.

Take care,
Ron

klp605

Like previously stated, the Tekonsha P3 is a great brake controller. You can even by the pigtail that is specific to your truck make and model. That way you just plug into your vehicles existing wiring and to the unit.

Going off of the above, if your Dodge Ram came from the factory with the trailer hitch package pre-installed, the wires from the trailer hitch to the front of your truck should already be there. It is really simple to do yourself (coming from a female :)). I previously towed with a dodge and installed the Tekonsha P3 on it along and then moved it to our current Titan. If you look in the open dash area above the pedals, you will find the wires tucked up in there. Uhaul or an auto part store will have the pigtail that you need to connect from the pre-installed wires to the P3.

MP_CS

Installing a aftermarket brake controller is a very simple project, What i cant figure out is how your dealership let you leave there without one, wow...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hello all!

We are brand new RV owners and bought a Heartland Mallard 312. We are using a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 to tow it, and plan to use it to go camping next weekend. It will be our first time towing, and will be up in the mountains, so on the way home we will be going down-hill (obviously).

Camping World, where we purchased the RV, never mentioned the option or need for trailer brakes to be installed on our truck, but a close friend who tows their RV via 5th wheel routinely, said that there is no way we can tow without trailer brakes.

Naturally, now we're freaking out because we're a week from our trip and are worried we either need to make an emergent unforeseen expense to have trailer brakes installed, or we shouldn't risk going up north.

Do you need more information to help? Should we call an RV brake installer for our truck? Has anyone heard of the Autowbrake, and if so is this a viable option for us?

Thanks in advance!

Melanie

Oh my. Did they sell you a weight distribute hitch and sway control? That's also another necessity, especially towing a 35'9" trailer!

What version of the truck do you have? There are many combinations that may not be rated to tow the GVWR (8600lbs) of your trailer:

https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/pdf/RAM.1500.Towing.Specs.pdf

Check out www.rvtowcheck.com

I mention these things because as fellow Heartland Owners, we want all of our Heartland family to be fully informed and towing as safely as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

Oh my. Did they sell you a weight distribute hitch and sway control? That's also another necessity, especially towing a 35'9" trailer!

What version of the truck do you have? There are many combinations that may not be rated to tow the GVWR (8600lbs) of your trailer:

https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/pdf/RAM.1500.Towing.Specs.pdf

Check out www.rvtowcheck.com

I mention these things because as fellow Heartland Owners, we want all of our Heartland family to be fully informed and towing as safely as possible.

The first question the dealer should ask is what type of tow vehicle the customer has or intends to purchase. Also, the dealer apparently let this customer out the door with a package that isn't legal (inoperable brakes). Of course, we don't know what was discussed or not discussed, but your advice to this new member is right on target.

I'd also add that these folks need to have a discussion with the dealer management to determine how this could happen. Might prevent someone else from being put in a dangerous situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

The first question the dealer should ask is what type of tow vehicle the customer has or intends to purchase. Also, the dealer apparently let this customer out the door with a package that isn't legal (inoperable brakes). Of course, we don't know what was discussed or not discussed, but your advice to this new member is right on target.

I'd also add that these folks need to have a discussion with the dealer management to determine how this could happen. Might prevent someone else from being put in a dangerous situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sadly, I've seen dealer policy to be NOT to ask what your tow vehicle is, but instead to slide a piece of paper to you for you to sign, with legalese saying they are not responsible, YOU are responsible for determining if you can safely tow the rig you buy.

jimtoo

This should not be put here,,, but I'm gonna do it... it's about brakes.

This is a real story I personally know that it happened.

Some kinfolk by marriage(not the same blood of my family) had his 38’ SOB 5er in the shop. Received call that it was ready to go. His 1 ton Dually was in shop also, different town. So he calls his son, not mine, to go and pick it up for him. Son takes old ranch ½ ton to shop where 1 ton is, takes hitch out of bed and sets in the ½ ton, NO anchors or anything. Goes to feed store and buys feed that they need anyway. About 15-20 100# bags and stacks around the hitch setting in bed of truck. Drives to dealer, hooks onto the 5er… no lights or brake wiring. The DEALER LET HIM DRIVE OFF THIS WAY. He drove about 60 miles like this without any problem. He said he only drove 35-40 mph. The ½ ton was overloaded with just the feed, and then add about 3000# 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel pin weight. He did make it home OK. He has done several stupid things like that before.
NO,, it was not a Camping World,,, but close.

Like chaining the front bumper of a pickup to the back bumper of another pickup and actually pulling it about 12 miles into town to shop because it would not run. He did not have anyone in the towed pickup, he was by himself.

Jim M

TravelTiger

This should not be put here,,, but I'm gonna do it... it's about brakes.

This is a real story I personally know that it happened.

Some kinfolk by marriage(not the same blood of my family) had his 38’ SOB 5er in the shop. Received call that it was ready to go. His 1 ton Dually was in shop also, different town. So he calls his son, not mine, to go and pick it up for him. Son takes old ranch ½ ton to shop where 1 ton is, takes hitch out of bed and sets in the ½ ton, NO anchors or anything. Goes to feed store and buys feed that they need anyway. About 15-20 100# bags and stacks around the hitch setting in bed of truck. Drives to dealer, hooks onto the 5er… no lights or brake wiring. The DEALER LET HIM DRIVE OFF THIS WAY. He drove about 60 miles like this without any problem. He said he only drove 35-40 mph. The ½ ton was overloaded with just the feed, and then add about 3000# 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel pin weight. He did make it home OK. He has done several stupid things like that before.
NO,, it was not a Camping World,,, but close.

Like chaining the front bumper of a pickup to the back bumper of another pickup and actually pulling it about 12 miles into town to shop because it would not run. He did not have anyone in the towed pickup, he was by himself.

Jim M

Wow Jim are you practicing for the George West Storyfest? That's a good one!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Sadly, I've seen dealer policy to be NOT to ask what your tow vehicle is, but instead to slide a piece of paper to you for you to sign, with legalese saying they are not responsible, YOU are responsible for determining if you can safely tow the rig you buy.

Being that I am in sales, I would think that it would be in the best interest of not only the dealership, but the salesperson, to add on as many items to the sale as possible.

Not only for the safety of the customer, but also the wallets of the dealership and the salesperson!

Unfortunately, it seems that Camping World is turning into a sort of 'K-Mart' of the RV sales world.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Hello all!

Thanks in advance!

Melanie

I see you are in he Phoenix area . . .

We had some service experience with Sun City RV on Grand Ave. a couple of years ago and they did us right.

http://www.suncityrv.com/

We had a wheel bearing burnout as we were passing through Phoenix, found them not far away and limped there around 3:30-4:00 in the afternoon and after a major axle repair they had a rolling the next day around 6:00 p.m.

Also, a U-Haul service center should also be able to hook you up with a trailer brake controler.

As has also been mentioned, a weight distributing hitch setup is also a must!

Most especially since you will be doing some mountain towing.

SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg
Us pulling out of Sun City RV Service in Phoenix (Peoria), AZ