help on 1 1/2" factory reciever

lakeside

Greetings All,
I am within a few days of ordering a new Bighorn. Myquestion involves the 1 ½” Accessory Receiver that retails for $309. I haveread many posts that state this receiver is not worth the money and is mostlythere for decoration due to not being structurally sound enough to use asadvertised. Others have said it is “basically” o.k. for light service (onesmall bicycle). Folks, should I spend myhard earned dollars on this receiver or save my money for camping?
Thanks.
Lakeside

tracks

Greetings All,
I am within a few days of ordering a new Bighorn. Myquestion involves the 1 ½” Accessory Receiver that retails for $309. I haveread many posts that state this receiver is not worth the money and is mostlythere for decoration due to not being structurally sound enough to use asadvertised. Others have said it is “basically” o.k. for light service (onesmall bicycle). Folks, should I spend myhard earned dollars on this receiver or save my money for camping?
Thanks.
Lakeside

Brother, it looks good but that 1 1/2" receiver is 1 1/4" receiver and with my bicycle rack installed in it and 2 bicycles it was very unstable. The receiver cross member is just too flimsy.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Cut off the 1 1/4" square reciever, weld a piece if 2 1/2"x 1/4"x 6" long square tubing in its place. A common 2" reciever will now fit. (add braces if needed)
I welded a 6" long piece under my rear/sewer hose bumper and it works great.

$300 should pay for stout after the fact hitch that supports 500lbs.

Last edited:

danemayer

I have one of the 1 1/4" receivers on our Landmark. I bought it from Lippert for about $100 delivered. Same part that Lippert sells to Heartland - but Heartland was out at the time. Although some people have had problems, it works fine for our 2 bikes.

There's a certain amount of slop in the way the bike rack mounts to the receiver, so I load it toward the ladder with a bungee cord so the bike rack doesn't swing left-to-right.

GOTTOYS

I would save my money and go to a good welding shop and have something stronger made for it. probably wouldn't cost much if any more...Don

sengli

It isn't built heavy enough to suit me. With two average cross type bikes that approximately weigh 30lbs, so a load of 65lbs total..... that hitch bends/bounces alot! Add in the road motion of it being at the rear of a 36-40ft long coach and it is just too flimsy to trust. I wished I had saved the money and got my own fabricated.

Birchwood

I am going to install on one my Landmark to get our bikes form the basement.I would pay the $309
for this accessory.

Owenfamily

I would save your earned hard dollars and go get a two inch reciver done by a well know welder. Then when you ready to get a bike rack look at swagman and Raxter or Driftmaster. Swagman only has one kind of rack that they will stand behind when put behind a trailer. It is a XC2RV model number 64663. Raxter has serveral differnt kinds and they will stand behind any of them that are two inch racks. They also have a lock you get and it stop any sway you may have. I just find a Raxter online for $310 with free shipping. There is some other racks that you can buy for behind an rv but the two above will allow for you to rest your bike on the rack and not by the frame where it can get banged aroung.

Greetings All,
Thanks.
Lakeside

MTPockets

I got the factory receiver and posted a video of the flex on this forum. It is quite a lot. I had a 2 1/2" square tube welded across the rear of the factory hitch with cross members to tie it together. This made the receiver rigid enough, but now I have to get a stiffer bike rack - 1 1/4" is just too thin - the idea of a 2" receiver is best - but you need the larger tube bike rack as well. I just wish Lippert and Heartland would listen and provide better stuff to begin with... (I know - cost - but c'mon, many of us need a good bike rack receiver and they could give it if they would)