Hercules tires

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Cordystoy,
I don't think Giant is capable of doing alignment checks, only measuring the axles square.
If you haven't already, talk to John Mikey, the service mgr at Murietta.
If you do not get a satisfactory answer, talk to Jim Wilkens the parts mgr. He is a super guy and a friend. Tell him Trace from the forum sent you. See if he can steer you in the right direction. Trace

cordystoy

Thanks Trace,
I agree Giant probably just measures the axles. I've been dealing with Doug up there and he's been great, I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this whole thing so I can keep decent tires on the trailer in the future. I took the trailer to a shop Twotoes recommended and they aligned it and installed the wet bolt kit the Dexter guy gave me in Wyoming. It was late Friday night when I picked the rig up so the guy that actually worked on it was gone, I'll call and get the scoop Monday.

I was a little disappointed in the Heartland warranty guy he told me it was no longer in warranty since I'm now over a year ( last month), even though the problem has clearly been there since I purchased the trailer. I understand each component is warrantied by a different company ie; Tredit, Dexter ect. but when the tire guy says it's alignment and balance and the Heartland service guy says the axles are fine it leaves me in the middle. Also when the Tredit rep says they don't balance trailer tires (at the rally), and then the tire guys says the tires are wearing bad because of the alignment and balance it gets confusing. I'll balance all the tires I put on in the future.

GOTTOYS

A balance problem will cause the tires to wear ruffles around the edges. An alignment problem causes tires to wear unevenly on one side or another but with a smooth even pattern. Even though your wheels are now aligned properly there is no guaranty they will stay that way. One good hard curb strike or a large pothole could be enough to through them out again. In comparison, most auto manufacturers will only align your vehicle once within 90 days of purchase, even though it comes with a 3 year 36,000 miles "Bumper to bumper" (Now that's a real misuse of the term) warranty...Don

cordystoy

Update,

I had my trailer checked by East County tire, they specialize in big rig and RV alignment. I had them install the wet bolt kit at the same time (Dexter gave me the kit at the Wyoming Rally). The alignment guy said the trailer alignment was perfect. He said camber and overall alignment was the best he had seen on any trailer that came in. So I guess the tires wore unevenly because of the balance. But hopefully I can keep good tires on it now.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Update,

I had my trailer checked by East County tire, they specialize in big rig and RV alignment. I had them install the wet bolt kit at the same time (Dexter gave me the kit at the Wyoming Rally). The alignment guy said the trailer alignment was perfect. He said camber and overall alignment was the best he had seen on any trailer that came in. So I guess the tires wore unevenly because of the balance. But hopefully I can keep good tires on it now.

I'm glad you have the peace of mind that the rig is aligned properly. Get the best tires that will fit, get them balanced, and go forward.

I still think the TowMax are not a good choice on these rigs. Too many occurrences of sub-par performance. We all can't be at fault, it has to be the tires.

Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk