Here we go again!

danemayer

Defrost cycle:
The first automatic frost reduction cooling unit cycle begins 60 hours after turning “on” the refrigerator
(for best operational results the refrigerator should be turned on anytime between 4 and 10 PM), and will last for approximately
120 minutes. Thereafter, the cycle will automatically repeat every 48 hours as long as the refrigerator continues to run.

Turn on the refrigerator at 4pm and 2 1/2 days later it will defrost for 2 hours from 4-6AM. And again 2 days later from 4-6AM.

billnsue

So the tech comes out, does the standard tests, calls Dometic, they have him do some other tests and put a temp probe in a glass of water for 8 hours, so tomorrow he will call them back, tell them that the fridge is 60 and the freezer is 35 and then will agree to ship out another cooling unit. That will be the third, thankful it's still under warranty until November. They could have replaced the entire unit last go around and come out ahead! Will keep you posted.....

billnsue

The tech came today and installed the new cooling unit. Sure do hope third time's a charm! I did make sure the gel was applied and he tightened down on all the screws. It's been running now for about 6 hours and the temp is dropping. Just measured the temp on the back wall of the freezer section and it's down to 9.6 degrees.
will keep my fingers crossed that this one will last more than 6 weeks.

billnsue

Last update. Fridge ran all night on a setting of 5. This morning the temp in the fridge was 32 degrees! I have never been that low. A happy camper!

Last edited:

Chris429

Be SURE your problem is not the defrost cycle. Check the cooling fins during the warm periods and see if they are defrosted. Now, turn OFF the refriderator and wait for about a minute to allow defrost cycle to reset. Next is very important. Turn ON refer and reset temp regardless of its setting when you turned it on. Keep in mind 60 hours after you do this it will defrost and you don't want it doing that during the day.
By the way my RL3670 bighorn has a water line to ice maker of our RM1350 in trunk. I disconnect it at the shut-off and hook a cheap garden sprayer I bought to it with brass fittings. In the sprayer I put RV antifreeze and pressure the sprayer. Now, per your Owners instructions cycle the ice maker and watch the antifreeze go through you ice maker system. Wipe up any spills in the refer and you're done.

jbeletti

Last update. Fridge ran all night on a setting of 5. This morning the temp in the fridge was 32 degrees! I have never been that low. A happy camper!

Awesome Bill! Huge bummer that you have been through now 3 cooling units. It's of no consolation to you but Heartland has been shifting some of it's refer requirements to Norcold. Is Norcold better? Not sure. Many people don't think so. But Heartland felt compelled to try something else. Not a lot of options out there and installing a residential AC only refer, for most people, is not the answer.

donr827

Jim, my prior two fifth wheels had Norcold fridges and never had a problem over the 8 yrs i owned the trailers. They also had Coleman a/c and never had a problem with them. As you can see Dometic is not my favorite supplier.
Don