Hi everyone from my husband and myself

us two

We are considering getting into the RV trail community (since we are approaching retirement) and thought we would start gathering some information. Most of our vacationing and travel has been by airplane to south of the border resorts so this would be something completely new to us.

I guess this is the section of the forum they want us to get started so feel free to say HI and we hope to meet some new friends and get some useful information.

Last edited by a moderator:

us two

hi again and thanks chaplady for the nice welcome!!
My husband and I got a message letting us know that normally two people on a profile doesn't work to well because no one can tell who is actually typing the message and it can be very confusing to everyone.
SO, I am officially divorcing my husband (on this forum anyway) and for everyone's benefit, this will be my (the wife) profile and my husband will be starting his own profile. I have also changed my password so that really makes the split up official (LOL).

Anyway, fortunately I am just getting ready to go on a weekend sales trip (yes weekend, that sucks) so not sure how much time i will have to check in.

HEY, who votes that I get rid of my husband on the profile picture as well?? This is getting to sound real nasty doesn't it? LOL all in good fun husband of mine!

chaplady

Well actually this was my wifes account i took it over lol Safe trip feel free to asked the questions Bill

us two

OK, good to know Bill!
BTW, it looks as though (by your profile pic) that your choice of travel is a trailer and not a motorhome...any pros and/or cons?
Also, I won't tell your wife we are meeting on here, if you don't (LOL) just a little forum humor.

Dahillbilly

went with a toyhauler so the Harley goes into the garage plus once all setup can travel about without breaking camp. Take your time deciding on what will work for you both & ask away on the forum. Good luck on your decision.

us two

Thanks, Dahillbilly!
We both ride Harleys and were thinking about a trailer behind a motorhome. Taking the bikes to have a way for trail and day trips once we have set up camp is a must.
Your idea also has value. Your way gives you the option of both bikes and pickup for travel.

us two

Ok, I have decided to totally kick my husband off the profile by removing him from the profile picture. And with a passcode he does not know, I guess I am in full control now LOL. DSCF0739.JPG

chaplady

I prefered the 5th wheel little bit more stable platform in towing since pin weight is over rear axle not rear bumper, more storeage traveling with 2 dogs gives up more interior space.
Pros vs motor home in my opinion, youd have to tow a vehicle to site see in once you get to area you want to camp in or un hook motor from utilities each time you wanted to go some place. Trailer pull in drop trailer unhook and you have vehicle to go places with. Also i motor vehicle to provide maintenance motor wish vs 2 motor home & tow vehicle. Insurance cost to think about.
Really it comes down to how your going to use the rig what best fits your useage and desires

Dahillbilly

Thanks, Dahillbilly!
We both ride Harleys and were thinking about a trailer behind a motorhome. Taking the bikes to have a way for trail and day trips once we have set up camp is a must.
Your idea also has value. Your way gives you the option of both bikes and pickup for travel.
& if I snore to loud etc. I end up sleeping in the garage

Bobby A

Go to RV shows, there is some pretty big shows Hershey Pa, and Tampa Fl., to name a few. These are BiG shows with alot of units to look at. Take your time and go through what you might like. We prefer 5th wheels also. What we use to do is take a video camera with us, tape the ones you like and take it home and watch it on your TV, it can get pretty overwhelming. Good luck and try to have fun with it. Welcome to the forum.

chaplady

Agrees with Rv shows , also look online at floor plans then try to find a dealer where you can go see the floor plan. We sat in the model we were interested in for an hour talked about things we like things we didnt like, Better half wanted counter space around stove. Had to be able to open refrigerator side with slides in, get to bathroom and bedroom with slides in were important to us. If we started talking about more things we didnt like then liked we knew it wasnt the model for us. Dont get caught up in the fancy lighting , think about how your going to us the rv and whats important for you to have be able to certain situations.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Nearing retirement and wanting to get into RV’ing. Sounds great, but answer a couple of questions first. Are you physically able to climb a ladder to get on the roof? Are you adept at diagnosing a problem and doing repairs? Can you work in tight spaces?

Things break, stop working and leaks happen. If you can fix it yourself, you’ll be a happier camper. Not to say all repairs are DIY capable, but many are.

These are abilities that will keep you from being at the mercy of a dealer every time something goes wrong or stops working. If you read enough of these forums, they’re full of lamentations about dealers taking weeks or months to do repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

We are considering getting into the RV trail community (since we are approaching retirement) and thought we would start gathering some information. Most of our vacationing and travel has been by airplane to south of the border resorts so this would be something completely new to us.

I guess this is the section of the forum they want us to get started so feel free to say HI and we hope to meet some new friends and get some useful information.
Hi, welcome to the group.
We have a 2018 Road Warrior toy hauler. We have done several upgrades to our unit. One is the MorRyde Independent Suspension System. The second is a conversion to disc brakes from the factory installed brake system. For our entertainment side, we installed the RF Mogul satellite system instead of the Travel'r system. We also picked up a WeBoost cell booster system to help to get better cell service.
When we started full time in June 2019, we had a gas-powered golf cart. We sold it in February 2022 and purchased a 2013 Can AM Spyder that we now haul around with us.
Our next big upgrade is to have a whole rig solar system so we can start doing more boondocking for longer periods of time.

RV shows would be good to see different styles, makes, models. But before you go decide what you want in a rig. Decide how you will use it, places you will go. Also, one other thing to seriously consider is where you plan on staying. Will you be staying in RV parks 100% of the time with full hookup services or do you plan on staying sometimes in State or National Parks for some days. If you are considering State or National Parks, length will be an issue. Then if you are considering boondocking, how much solar will you need to be comfortable, and what will be the cost for that installation.

us two

WOW, I guess I (we) have been really busy this Fall getting ready for the upcoming Minnesota winter. I will try to get caught up with all your replies in the next few days. hope everyone is doing well.

us two

Hi again everyone,
Cold here yet in Minnesota but Spring is right around the corner.
still gathering information.

chaplady

It was cold when i left Minnesota in middle of October. Good luck what ever you decide inspect it well make sure everything is checked out including shower track door drain are facing into the shower.

us two

It was cold when i left Minnesota in middle of October. Good luck what ever you decide inspect it well make sure everything is checked out including shower track door drain are facing into the shower.
thanks much chaplady

us two

Hi again everyone!!!
Sorry for the big gap in the posting. Life has gotten really busy (probably too busy) and has changed some from our original plans to hi the road. We have delayed our retirement off until next summer but still have plans to hit the road. We are still pulling information together for camping equipment, but our plans have gotten more defined, and they will affect the type of equipment we need for best results.
Since this thread is in the "intro" section, maybe it is best to start another thread and explain our exact plans so you all can better contribute your camper experiences.
A few of you have been private messaging and wondering if we were still on the forum so thought I would let you know we are still alive and kicking and dealing with the crazy times we are in right now.
We did have a chance to vacation a couple of weeks in Mexico,DSCF0705 (2).JPG so we did get out of the cold Minnesota temps. Unfortunately, it is the middle of April and still cold here.