Hi - From Chris - Tech Consultant (Regarding Technical Issues)

jbeletti

Not the cookie fix but getting there

Okay - I did a bunch of testing on my end. I am using a PC (at work) and Firefox.

It was "very" hard to get the forum to "not" recognize me. I was logging out and manually deleting cookies in Firefox and the forum was still recognizing me .

Then I noticed that I had other tabs open with the forum, the portal or the Admin control panel. Once I closed all the other tabs then logged out of the forum, then cleared cookies, was I able to go to www.heartlandowners.org and not be auto-logged in. Whew! Usually I love it to be auto-logged in but man it was hard to kill it.

Chuck, I did this testing not just for you but because I was testing the News module in the portal to make sure that anyone (non-members, not logged in users) could see that module. Success by the way.

Now, how can a person log out of the forum but not clear their cookies. Answer is "I don't know" Yet...

Working on it.

Jim

jimtoo

Hi Jim and, or Chris,

I like the layout and overall design of the new portal or homepage. The only thing I have at this time is when the new portal page comes up, it gives you the "recent posts", but unlike the "New Posts" page, it does not give you the option of going to the last page of a thread if it is multiple pages. It just takes you to the first post on the first page. I did get email notices a few times about new post, but I think that is cured now. The pages seem to load faster with the new host, maybe the old one was just getting tired.

Overall, Thank You for a great site.

Jim (the other Jim)

jpmorgan37

Here is a new one. A little while ago, I was looking through messages that had cleared the new post mode and the page started scrolling at a fast clip. I thought it was my mouse (wireless) and unplugged it, no change. I hit the stop button, no effect, I had other windows open and switched to them and they were ok, back to the forum window, still rolling. Closed the window and reopened it and it was ok. No reoccurrence. Strange

jbeletti

Jim, what I was getting to in #2 was that when I back out of the forum, I do not have to enter my userid and password to reenter the next time. If I log out, I have to do this every time I reenter. Why would I want to continue to do this???

I'm still confused as to what you mean. If you log out you will have to re-enter your username and password. If you wish to remain logged in even after closing the window please check the "remember me" box. If you do not want to sign out, don't. Just x the window.

Here is a new one. A little while ago, I was looking through messages that had cleared the new post mode and the page started scrolling at a fast clip. I thought it was my mouse (wireless) and unplugged it, no change. I hit the stop button, no effect, I had other windows open and switched to them and they were ok, back to the forum window, still rolling. Closed the window and reopened it and it was ok. No reoccurrence. Strange

I haven't had anyone else report this, and haven't done anything to cause this. Not sure... If it happens again let me know.

-Chris.

jbeletti

If people are still getting thread notifications via email, the only solution left to me is to delete ALL subscriptions. I'm looking into other things, but if I can't figure anything out, is this desirable to email notifications?

-Chris

jbeletti

Trying one last thing. While trying it, the homepage will be down. If you receive an email you're not supposed to, let me know ASAP as the portal/homepage are temp. disabled.

-Chris

Last edited:

snuffy

I can't get to the heartlandowners.org page from my favorites. I keep getting Page Cannot be Displayed. Only way for me to get to forum was by Googling and clicking on their link. Just started that this morning.

jimtoo

Home page will not open,,, need to go to www.heartlandowners.org/forum to get in for some reason this morning.

jimtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtoo //heartlandowners.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif
Home page will not open,,, need to go to www.heartlandowners.org/forum to get in for some reason this morning.

"Is this temporary or permanent?"

I feel sure this is just temporary. Jim B will take care of us.

Jim (the other Jim)

jbeletti

Need User Help on this - If you are "still" getting notices

Hi gang,

Chris tells me that JelSoft, the makers of vBulletin, the software that powers this forum needs more information from me in order to determine the problem we may still be experiencing with un-solicited subscription notices.

Here are the qualifications of who can help us on this:
  1. You must "still" be receiving email notices of threads that have updates but you have not subscribed to them
  2. You have received email notices of this yet "today" <<-- critical

What you will need to do to help, if you qualify per the above:
  1. Forward to admin@heartlandowners.org, the "most recent" notification email (must be from today)
  2. Include your forum Username

Once I receive the email from you, I will:
  1. Reset your password
  2. Email you what your new temporary password is so you can use the forum
  3. Give your username and temporary password to JelSoft so they can log in as you to view all your forum settings to try to get to the root of the problem and resolve it

I understand that this is not for everyone. Most people would not want to allow someone to access their account. And I totally understand that. But I am going to need a few brave souls to do so.

Once we are good-to-go, I'll email the helpers and ask you to change your password back to what it was or whatever you want it to be.

I want to repeat that we can only use help from people who continue, s of today, to receive emails from the forum notifying them of thread updates for which they are certain they have no subscriptions to.

That said, I have to say that I have not seen any complaints in the last two days so there is a chance that it is already repaired. That or you are a very forgiving bunch.

Thanks,

Jim

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Not having any e-mail issues since I turned everything off 2-3- days ago.

However, I got one of my old problems back...

I went into the system this morning (1/11 at 11:35 AM) and system told me that the last time I visited was 1/10 at 11:35 PM. I was on the portal page. At the left side it told me that there were 29 new posts. When I pressed on that link, there were no new posts to view and the system told me that I had last visited it 1 minute ago.

I am using a labptop with XP, service pack 2 and DSL to access. I am on IE7.0.5730.11.

jpmorgan37

Chuck;

I've been playing with what you posted above. Here is what I find. When I go to the Portal page and it shows me the new post, read them there. If I move to the forum link or click on the new post (which automatically moves me to the forum link) it thinks that I have already read the new posts and shows no new posts to read. So, I just read them on the Portal page, otherwise I have to go to the Quick Links and pick "todays posts" which works, but takes a little more effort.

John

cdbMidland

Chuck;

I've been playing with what you posted above. Here is what I find. When I go to the Portal page and it shows me the new post, read them there. If I move to the forum link or click on the new post (which automatically moves me to the forum link) it thinks that I have already read the new posts and shows no new posts to read. So, I just read them on the Portal page, otherwise I have to go to the Quick Links and pick "todays posts" which works, but takes a little more effort.

John

John, I only had this problem one time since the changeover and it was on the first time after the system was down for a few days. I've been successful every time since, clicking on the "new posts" link, so let's chalk this one up to start-up.

I am very pleased at how fast the system now is.

cdbMidland

View First Unread is not always the first

Discovered this yesterday, but wanted to double check today...

Tonight I signed in about 25 hours from the last time I had accessed the forum. As I was going through the new posts and threads, I discovered, quite by accident that where I thought the first unread post was had in reality followed 4-5 unread posts with times of 8 hours ago up until 30 minutes ago. I only noticed it one one thread tonight, but now, after pressing that link, I scan backward to make sure that it is the first unread one.

I am using XP, Service Pack 2 and IE 7.0.5730.11.

linuxkidd

Morn'n Chuck,
So... if I understand you correctly... You are entering the thread by pressing the link to jump to the first unread post. But when it takes you there, it is in reality a few posts below what you last read.

If that's the case... I might ask if someone else may have used your computer to check the forums between times. You can quickly tell this on the top corner of the forum under your username. It displays the last time you were on the forum. Also, does it show the correct unread data when you use the 'New Posts' feature at the top of the forum?

Not really sure what could cause this at the moment.. just try'n to poke around a bit..

Thanks,
LK

P.S. How do you like the MegaCab for tow'n your rig? I'm look'n to get one myself.. :)

cdbMidland

LK - I'm the only one that uses this PC - my DW does not even know how to open the case (and doesn't want to learn).

What you are asking is exactly correct. And, the first thing I do before going to the posts is to check to see when I was last on.

I should add that this only happens occasionally - maybe on one or two threads. I usually try to get on daily, but tonight is the first time that I've been on since 2/28 and right now it says I last visited 2 days ago at 11:18 PM (it is now 9:13 PM on 3/2).

I only started this and had 152 unread posts and 57 threads. Tonight, I started on the third page. This one was only the fourth one I've opened, so far, and so far so good. As I get to the ones on page 1 tonight, I hope I've had the same results.