hitch height

brw549

Just purchased a 2016 dodge ram 3500 with the trailer prep package and auto leveling system. Because of the prep package I ordered a Curt 20k hitch that is designed for the unit. I tow a 2014 Big Country 3650RL. My question is, the hitch has four height settings, to accomplish the 4 to 6inch clearance over the bed of the truck, do any of you have a recommenced starting point on what hole to use?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Does your RAM have the in bed puck system?
With the puck system in my RAM along with a Curt hitch and have the hitch set at the lowest position.

Peace
Dave

Bones

Since you have auto-level on the truck. Measure the height from the ground to the kingpin area with trailer level and on level ground. Measure the bed-height when your truck is in alt Height mode. measure the hitch get em close and try it. You may find that you are going to be using the top holes of the hitch. My hitch is set at the top now but I have a Reese. I am also assuming when you state made for the truck that you have the pucks.

brw549

Thanks Dave good information. I know it will arrive and I will need to assemble some of the unit. Just needed a starting point

Does your RAM have the in bed puck system?
With the puck system in my RAM along with a Curt hitch and have the hitch set at the lowest position.

Peace
Dave

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the information. On your airbag system you alt height...I have found two settings one lowers the truck and the other auto levels. Are there other settings? The owners manual is does not provide much information on the subject

Bones

Thanks Dave good information. I know it will arrive and I will need to assemble some of the unit. Just needed a starting point

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the information. On your airbag system you alt height...I have found two settings one lowers the truck and the other auto levels. Are there other settings? The owners manual is does not provide much information on the subject

Your truck will auto level at either height. it does it automatically all the time. You don't even need to think about it. The Alt height only applies when you have a trailer hooked up. When you put your trailer on and raise the landing gear the truck will push back up to normal ride height. Go inside with truck still in park. Push the button for alt height and the truck will self adjust to about 1 inch to 1.5 inches lower. You will see this happen. On your dash you should see a message stating Alt height achieved and your golden. The truck will auto adjust to that height from that point on. When your done traveling and towing you can press alt height again to turn the feature off for normal ride height.

Last edited:

brw549

Thank you so much for that information. I can't wait to get the new hitch and use the new truck. I had a 2013 prior to this. Because I use the truck everyday I selected the SRW over the DRW. With my Big Country colors I had to purchase the Western Brown and tan interior LOL...

- - - Updated - - -

2013 2500 forgot that part

Bones

Thank you so much for that information. I can't wait to get the new hitch and use the new truck. I had a 2013 prior to this. Because I use the truck everyday I selected the SRW over the DRW. With my Big Country colors I had to purchase the Western Brown and tan interior LOL...

- - - Updated - - -

2013 2500 forgot that part

Nice. :) If you have any other questions ask away.