Hitch questions

Nt236

I'm contemplating trading my tt for a 5th wheel! My local trailer and accessorie store recommended a curt slider hitch. Are they any good? If the dry weight is 12,300 and the gvwr is 15,500 will a 16k hitch be ok or should I go up to a 20k?

aatauses

Congratulations on getting a fifth wheel---you will see a major difference from a TT. What type of truck do you have--make sure you have enough truck to safely pull your new rig? What type of bed do you have in your truck? If it is a short bed , then you will probably need some type of slider hitch. If you have a regular bed then no need for a slider. I would shop around as there are several brands that are very reliable. A 16K should be ok for your rig---just be careful not to overload (check with actual scales).
al
currently in Kenai, AK

jnbhobe

I would look for an 18K and up hitch, They say you don't need a slider with a Heartland, I used a super-glide when I pulled with a shortbed.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
A 16K will work but as said an 18 or 20, while overkill, will serve you better when you upgrade.

Slider? Most, if not all of the newest front cap styles allow pretty tight maneuvering without a slider. That said, if your bed is anything less than 6-1/2 feet, a slider should be used. Sliders have more moving parts that will allow front to rear movement in the hitch assembly that you will really notice in the truck. It's called chucking. There are several brands of trailer pins that reduce this chucking. Trail Air Tri Glide, 5th Airborn and MorRyde are the ones that come to mind.
That dry weight of 12,300 will probably be up around 13,000 at delivery. It seems they never get that "dry" number right.

Garypowell

I have had a Curt for over 5 years and while I have had one problem Curt was excellent at overnighting me the part I needed under warranty (10 years).

I cannot comment on if you need a slide or not but do a lot of measuring and you just might find you don't need a slider. When I moved to a shortbread truck I measured everything and then mocked it up on the truck to prove it to myself that it would work.

I do agree with others that there is nothing wrong with moving up in hitch capacity. Within the life of your truck you might move up in trailer weight and need it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Curt Q-20. It is not a slider.
I have a 6 & 1/2 foot bed, been towing a Bighorn for 5 years and have never needed a slider.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mzcummins

Dad has a Demco Hijacker in a short bed dodge (dodge sb is actually shorter than Ford and Chevy I believe it's 6 foot 3) and with Heartlands 88 degrees turning cap he is fine, plenty of clearance, can almost turned 90 degrees

I like seeing the made in USA so I recommend Pullrite or Demco, I was going to go with Reese but our local retailer who sells just about every hitch on the market said that they are outsourced to China now

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Nt236

Thanks for the input everybody. I ended up ordering a Reese commercial 16k slider. I don't plan on upgrading to a bigger camper any time soon and didn't need the added weight of a higher classed hitch. I hope to install my hitch Friday and pic the new camper up Saturday!