Hitch Selection

Ahrver

I am looking at buying a Big Country 3450ts. I have a 2013 Ram 2500 crew cab with 6' 4" short box.

Heartland promotes the 88 degree turning radius without the need for a slider hitch so would like some feedback that a normal hitch will work

am looking at a ts3 Trailer Saver air ride hitch from Hensley bit need to know for sure before I buy a hitch.

Look ok forward to your replies from the Heartland Owners and professionals.

Thanks

Al

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
You never know when you might need a slider. I also have a short bed truck and have a slider and have never used it "yet" but have it just in case. Some people say you don't need it, but what happens when that first time comes and...bang

Cjackg

After hearing so many owners say they never use their slider I decided to go with the non-slider version of the Curt hitch.
After several trips and some near 88 degree turns, I am glad I did it. Trying to turn a Fifth Wh more than that has a high risk of other problems like tire damage, bed rails, etc.
A slider weighs about an extra 100 lbs and takes more space too.
The one thing I definitely would do again is get a larger capacity hitch.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

zman807

Question on rating. . .
On Travel trailers it states tongue weight and Trailer CVW. On a 5th wheel it just list GVW. Is the pin box weight less than the GVW of the trailer? A friend of mine (just bought a bigger trailer) told me the dealer told him he was fine with a 16K 5th wheel hitch on a 18K GVW trailer since the pin box weight was less than the CVW on the trailer. Is this true? Can't find any info on this.

danemayer

Question on rating. . .
On Travel trailers it states tongue weight and Trailer CVW. On a 5th wheel it just list GVW. Is the pin box weight less than the GVW of the trailer? A friend of mine (just bought a bigger trailer) told me the dealer told him he was fine with a 16K 5th wheel hitch on a 18K GVW trailer since the pin box weight was less than the CVW on the trailer. Is this true? Can't find any info on this.
I could be wrong, but here's how I would think about the weight; it's a bit like asking about the GCWR of the tow vehicle. So let's start there.

Looking at 2015 GMC 3500 specs, the truck's GVWR is 11,400. The 5th wheel towing capacity is 17,300. Max payload is 4327.

But the GCWR is not 28,700, the sum of these two. Rather it's 24,500. I believe that's because for a compound rating, you only count the vertical load of the pinbox once; either as part of the truck's GVWR, or as part of the trailer's GVWR.

If I add the truck GVWR of 11,400 to the towing capacity of 17,300, I get 28,700. Then if I take away the 4327 payload, I'm left with 24,373, which is pretty close to the GCWR of 24,500. Don't know if the difference is a tank of fuel, or a rounding up.

So from a truck standpoint, it appears that the specs, by way of the GCWR, account for the division of trailer weight when looking at a compound rating.

From a hitch standpoint, if they come with a GCWR spec, you could follow the same reasoning. But if not, it's unknown whether they spec it the same way as the truck manufacturers. A conservative view would argue that when they say 18,000, they mean that's the max GVWR of the trailer you can tow.

Anyway, that's my thinking on it.

Crumgater

I'd be curious why the dealer wants you to buy and under-rated hitch in the first place... is that the only one he had in stock?

It might be "fine"... but I don't think I'd go that route.

What if you want a bigger 5er in the future??

I'd prefer a larger margin of safety on the hitch, personally...

Bohemian

GCWR is just that, gross combined weight rating, the maximum total weight of truck, it's contents, and everything it is towing. No funny magic.

GOTTOYS

For what it's worth. Dodges er, Rams with a 6'4" box have the shortest cab to axle distance of the big 3 pickups. I have a Pull-Rite Super Glide which is an automatic sliding hitch. Don't have any idea if I need it or not, but it always works and I don't worry about hitting the cab. I got the least expensive model that works on std. rails. If you shop them online they don't cost much more than a lesser hitch. A dealer wanted $600.00 more than I paid. Easy profit? ...Don

Jim.Allison

The BD3 is what I have and I have the slider. I have never used the slider, but have come close. I have it on hand though. BUT, I don't make those dramatic turns anymore. Its tough on the tires. Avoid those turns.

I am looking at buying a Big Country 3450ts. I have a 2013 Ram 2500 crew cab with 6' 4" short box.

Heartland promotes the 88 degree turning radius without the need for a slider hitch so would like some feedback that a normal hitch will work

am looking at a ts3 Trailer Saver air ride hitch from Hensley bit need to know for sure before I buy a hitch.

Look ok forward to your replies from the Heartland Owners and professionals.

Thanks

Al

gtsum2

I would consider an auto slider or sidewinder vs a manual slider. I have a 2014 Ram 3500 Megacab with same box and I think (as noted above) Ram has the least amount of clearance on their 6ft beds. A manual slider doesnt do it for me as the one time I "think I dont need it" would be the time I blast out the rear window

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Jim.Allison

Hey I carry the hensley manual slider. Its simple to operate. In the off chance that you need it you will have it. But with the 88 degree turn radius I have never needed it and probably will never need it. In fact I travelled for a long time without it before I put it back in. I have the same bed as you do.
I would consider an auto slider or sidewinder vs a manual slider. I have a 2014 Ram 3500 Megacab with same box and I think (as noted above) Ram has the least amount of clearance on their 6ft beds. A manual slider doesnt do it for me as the one time I "think I dont need it" would be the time I blast out the rear window

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

donr827

I have had a short bed on both of my trucks and have a Pullrite slider that I moved from one truck to the other. I might not need it with my BH but I never have to worry.......Don

Jim.Allison

I do like the Sidewinder as hitches go.......but manual is fine. The 88 degree turn capability changes everything. But even with that the rig can come dangerously close to the TV.