Hitches are Heavy - How to Routinely Install/Remove????

jbeletti

ILH

I have an electric hoist mounted to my garage rafters. I just back my truck into the garage, pull 4 pins, attach chains and lift the hitch high enough to clear the cars. I also have supplementary safety straps .... Just in case.

I can provide pictures if requested - although I was sure I had posted them before. My hitch is currently in my truck for extra weight during the winter.

arr_oscar

This is one more reason i'm using an adaptaball fifth wheel to gooseneck adaptor able to have the flatbed mty when unhooked. From all the things i've read i'm in the minority or maybe even the lone ranger in this area

Bohemian

I am also thinking about the Anderson Aluminum Ultimate 5th Wheel adapter.

35 lbs. Quick and easy to install/uninstall. Quick and easy height adjustments.

But now, I also think there are ways to handle the conventional hitches.

porthole

Retired
When I had the GMC I used an electric winch attached to a steel frame that spanned 5 rafters in my garage.

When I got the DRW, that will never even see even a 1/3 the way into the garage, I bought a used engine hoist off craigslist for $45
I usually only use it at the beginning and end of the season. When I remove it, I lower onto a Costco dolly and roll it under the trailer.

I have hung the hitch from the pin box a couple of times, but with the TS-3 it was more trouble then it was worth trying to get the hitch back into the truck.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I like that it mounts to the side.

I like that side mount crane, too! Not so much for my hitch (it's easy enough for me to lift), but for other pieces of equipment, etc., that I occasionally need to load in the truck bed. Having the feet will give it more stability than the one that just hangs from the receiver, and no holes to drill in the bed like the small HF one. A little more research to see how compact it stores when not needed.

scottyb

Yes, I see. That's a light weight hitch. Total 97 lbs.

I was thinking about the B&W RK3600, base 131 lbs, head 75 lbs.

Holy cow. I removed/installed my OEM B&W many times by myself. Do they make a lighter version for the Ram? Do you really need a 25K hitch for your 5th wheel? The Ford OEM is 20K and it performed flawlessly for my 4100. I think I would do what someone suggested and leave it attached to the pin, and drive out from under it. Then you could back under it again. You may have to set it down and unlatch it to make final alignments, unless you can back under it perfectly. It still seems like a better option than toting a jib crane around.

Bohemian

Holy cow. I removed/installed my OEM B&W many times by myself. Do they make a lighter version for the Ram? Do you really need a 25K hitch for your 5th wheel? The Ford OEM is 20K and it performed flawlessly for my 4100. I think I would do what someone suggested and leave it attached to the pin, and drive out from under it. Then you could back under it again. You may have to set it down and unlatch it to make final alignments, unless you can back under it perfectly. It still seems like a better option than toting a jib crane around.

Well Scotty. Some people are stronger than others. Some hitches are heavier than others. Some of us have had desk jobs for the past 45 years and aren't as strong as we were when we worked construction.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
After looking around some, there are more reviews for it on Amazon. Many are not as glowing as the single one at Northern Tool.

Jim.Allison

Like one member said, a beam of some kind across 4 rafters could easily support the weight of a 5th wheel hitch. A boat winch could have an attached king pin. One could lift it and then place it on a piano dolly so that it could be easily moved.

Porthol's engine hoist is even better because you can just leave it hanging on the hoist and roll it around as needed.

If you are traveling you can just let it hang on the rig, put a lock on it so it can't be stolen. I for one would just disassemble it and put it in the basement. But I realize that there are many who have handicaps and moving fifth wheel hitches are difficult for them.

After reading all the comments, I realized that all of these ideas have already been presented. Sorry. But I think having a device that can hoist by a king pin would make life easier whichever method you might use, and piano dollies re cheap and a great place to store your hitch.

Bohemian

For full timers with no base or garage. That is field use.

I am thinking that the best solution for a conventional 5th wheel hitch is it let it hang on the kingpin.

An alternative I have found that makes sense as far as weight goes follows. Price is high.

http://www.1stseniorcare.com/harmaral-065universalmicroliftfreeshippingintheus.aspx

Built onto the bed: ( as mentioned by others on this thread)

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-60732-9889.html

or

The Anderson Aluminum Ultimate 5th Wheel Adapter at 35 lbs (rather than a conventional 5th wheel hitch)

http://www.hitchsource.com/andersen-aluminum-ultimate-5th-wheel-connection-p-36168.html

That's my summary of what I think are the viable solutions. No decisions made.

MCTalley

What? The hitch comes out?

On a serious note from a full-timer, we have the Reese R16 and just split it down into head and base to remove it. However, we've only taken ours out a couple times primarily when we've been moving things to or from a storage unit. Leaving it hanging on the kingpin of the trailer sounds like a good alternative.