Hitching & Unhitching

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I epoxied a couple of rare earth magnets to one end of a length of PVC pipe and stick that in the hitch. I still get out and do a visual, though, especially if I'm hitching by myself.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The one thing I did not see here is to do a hitch test. Make sure after you do get it hitched, that before you move the TV to only raise the front legs on your KL about an inch and with the KL either chocked or using the TV trailer brake switch pulled. Move forward a bit and reward some to insure you are hitched. This will save your TV if you are not hitched.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't know if you noticed but the bolt head on the handle is the middle. I use that bolt head as a guide to line up and it works fine.

porthole

Retired
I don't know if you noticed but the bolt head on the handle is the middle. I use that bolt head as a guide to line up and it works fine.

If you are referring ot my picture - I can't see the saddle at all, and only the upper half of the pin box. I have a toolbox in the bed.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I always have the truck about 1-2" higher than the pin box so that when I back up under it the box pushes the truck down just a tad and it locks in every single time. If The hitch happens to be about level with the pin box (where it doesn't put any pressure on the truck while backing under it) then my hitch usually won't latch all the way or it goes half way and I have to inch forward, reverse, forward and the handle latches.

Unloading, I just chock the trailer tires and dropping the front landing gear until I am raising the truck about 2" or so. Usually that releases enough pressure that the handle unlatches easily, a couple times I have to put the truck into neutral and it will roll back just a small amount and that will release some pressure, pull the handle and pull out.

LOL and be sure to pull completely out from under the trailer, I have the self leveling system on mine and I had the truck about 1" under the trailer and when the trailer started leveling, the front dropped down and just barely sat on the bed rail. No harm, just a durrrr moment.

porthole

Retired
LOL and be sure to pull completely out from under the trailer, I have the self leveling system on mine and I had the truck about 1" under the trailer and when the trailer started leveling, the front dropped down and just barely sat on the bed rail. No harm, just a durrrr moment.

Last year I had the trailer parked slightly uphill which exaggerated the drop down, hit the tail gate on the GMC. Just caught a 2" section, but it put a dent on the inner panel.