Hoist for hitch

jimpav

I don't know how many folks out there use their truck for other things besides towing our trailers...........more specifically how many take out their 5th wheel hitch for doing other things like getting a truck load of mulch or carrying /moving things, but I seem to do more of that than towing. The hitch assembly is quite heavy for one person to remove from the truck bed, so instead of getting my partner to help, I decided to mount an overhead hoist in my garage. I shopuld have done this a long time ago!!!! Not only can I remove the entire hitch in one piece, but I can also pick up my 3K generator and place it in the bed myself. The hoist is rated to lift 440 lbs (double cable configuration), which easily lifts the hitch or generator. I got it from Harbor Freight for around $124, and bought a small piece of unistrut. The unistrut width fits exactly the width of the 2X6 beam overhead. I used 3/8" X 3 1/2" lag screws, and 4 1/2" lags for the hoist "U" mounting brackets. The only thing I would have done differently, if I had more time, would have been to put in a rail system to be able to move the load to the other end of the garage. At least now I can remove the hitch quickly, and safely any time I need bed space to carry something. (see photos)hoist1.jpg hoist2.jpghoist3.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Nice set up! I have a similar hitch where the head can be removed from the legs/frame and remove it in separate sections. This also gives me the opportunity to inspect and lube the moving parts under the head. each section isn't much more than 50# but I've never really weighed them. I can remove everything in about 5 minutes.

porthole

Retired
I have a similar winch in my garage, although the DRW is too fat to even get close to that winch now. Worked great with the GMC.

Looks like you have a truss roof. I would seriously consider rotating that winch mount 90 degrees and hang it from at least 3 rafters.

TravisJen

Not sure if its the "right way" but I pull the pins on my rails and just leave the hitch hanging from the pin box of my 5er.

jtwhites85

Since I can’t fit the truck in the garage (too much stuff + the wife’s car) I use a set of folding aluminum ramps and a dolly that converts to 4 wheels as needed. I use it in the 2 wheel position to load and unload and then set it down in the 4 wheel position to store the hitch. I thought about leaving it attached to the pin but too many things can go wrong. Like forgetting it is there when going under the overhang in a hurry.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I take my hitch out of the truck when I need the bed space. Two pieces easily carried into the garage and set in the corner. I put all the pins and retainer clips in a small coffee can on top of it.

jimpav

I have a similar winch in my garage, although the DRW is too fat to even get close to that winch now. Worked great with the GMC.

Looks like you have a truss roof. I would seriously consider rotating that winch mount 90 degrees and hang it from at least 3 rafters.

Yikes....thanks for the advice. I figured the most that I would be lifting would be about 120lbs. The 2X6 is resting on the garage headers at both ends with various supports to the roof structure along the way. I didn't notice any deflection in the beam for now, but by the time the wood ages I will have also aged and had to sell the trailer and do motels for my traveling. Also, I agree. A 90 degree orientation was the original design was considered but I was too stubborn and lazy to seriously take the time to fit this into my schedule. But seriously,. I figured because t the crane rating is only 450# and modifying the ceiling to accommodate the perpendicular arrangement for an increased span was not feasible because the ceiling existing ceiling panels would require significant modification modification, I concluded t this simple supported load, parallel with span of the truss, was sufficient for the anticipated simple lift aggangement with a sufficient margin for some misalignment . The galvanized steel unistrut, secured with 3 and 5" lag bolts every 12" along the length, gave me more that sufficient margin for the anticipated lift with the consistent with the anticipated lift without undue deformation to the single 2x6^ truss member. As you correctly suggest, the ideal arrangement would be to equally support the load across two or more perpendicular spans. That arrangement would allow more predictable load distribution and would more readily accommodate any twisting or misalignments without undue stress and allow would allow for more weight with an increased , margin for safety. Yet, luckily the location of the truss in this situation was ideal because it aligned perfectly with the centerline of the truck . This allowed a small footprint for the winch and conveniently prevented undue cutting of ceiling material. So in retrospect I lucked out. Should I require more flexibility and lateral movement, I would add a perpendicular span with rollers to meet any other lifting needs.
PS Clifton, NJ (home)

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

ILH

I've done the same thing. I have chains attached at all four corners of my hitch to attach to the hook. I also have safety straps that attach to the hitch when it is fully 'up' at the ceiling.

Thanks for the idea about the generator! What a back saver!

jbeletti

Looking good.

I have the same hoist. I mounted mine to a 2x10 and lag bolted it to the header above my car garage. The truck "barely" fits through the door! I use straps under the hitch and lift it up a foot, pull the truck out and lower the hitch onto a furniture dolly. Works great.

wildwolfproducts

I cheat and use the loader and pallet forks mounted on my Kubota M4700 for the heavy 300 lb hitch. But on my hitch like yours, I just pull the main pin and set it out in 2 parts.
Pete

FiremanBill

Up til now I have always had my man child son to help me heave ours out of the truck. He will be headed off to college next fall and the DW chuckled when I asked her to help once so I suppose I will do something like this also!

Thanks for the pics and ideas!

azbigfoot

Not sure if its the "right way" but I pull the pins on my rails and just leave the hitch hanging from the pin box of my 5er.

I'm curious how many people have actually tried this?? How hard is to reattach hanging from the pinbox? Any worries about the weight pulling down on the frame?

porthole

Retired
I'm curious how many people have actually tried this?? How hard is to reattach hanging from the pinbox? Any worries about the weight pulling down on the frame?

I use to hang it from the hitch, but it was a real pain to get a 250 pound hitch lined back up when you can't see what you are doing.
I bought a used engine hoist that breaks down.

Plan b though is to hang it from the hitch and in the spring just drop it in the bed and go to my buddy's shop and use the chain hoist .

Last edited:

Gary521

I also use a collapsible engine hoist. I have a cathedral garage roof so no horizontal ties.

scottyb

I don't use a hoist but the OP asked how many remove their hitches. I use my truck as a every day driver so the hitch comes out as soon as I unhitch. The B&W comes apart into two manageable pieces simply by pulling two pins. I set them on the tailgate then set them on a big timber under the nose of the Cyclone. Takes about 2 minutes.

rgwilliams69

I have the Ford Factory Hitch Prep and Reese Elite - same thing there, the head comes off with two pins, then the base from the pucks. Plenty light to lift by yourself in two pieces and flat bed afterwards. Before this 350 DRW I had a 350 SRW and used a SuperGlide hitch - man that thing was heavy, no dang way for one person to lift it out alone. It was a great hitch but I like being able to lug this one around by myself. Messed up and sold the SuperGlide to my neighbor though so now I have to go over and help HIM lift it out... Duh.

mobilcastle

I used to let my Superglide hitch hang on the 5ver and never had a problem. Yes, it was a little work getting it lined up to re pin the unit. I now have the same type setup as the OP and I lift the total hitch (B&W) at once to remove it. I made up a special pin that fits in the jaws of the hitch and it stays level when I use the hoist to remove it. I crossed about 4 or 5 joist with a 2X4 lagged into the trusses and bolted some angle iron to the 2X4 and hoist. I also load my generator with this setup and it comes in handy to lift other items. It is a back saver. I also bought my hoist from Harbour Freight. I think the capacity is about 900lb.