honda 2000 gen getting error and 69 volts

bkgarcia

Hi all, appreciate any input
I have a 2017 landmark Oshkosh
I am going on a off the grid trip in two weeks so i thought i would fire up my generator.
when i ran my honda 2000 .The power management has a error and 69 volts on both lines. I tested the voltage at the generator and its 120 at the plug. I notice the ref was running ok. Is this something to be concerned about . Dose the generator have a floating ground cause this

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0774.jpg
    IMG_0774.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 18

danemayer

Some generators need to bond the ground and neutral lines as that's what the trailer is expecting. You can read about this here.

RoadJunkie

According to a speaker on RV electrical issues at the recent Jackson rally, only one bonded neutral plug is required as the sync cables will bond the grounds together.

avvidclif

Stick a polarity checker in any 120v outlet in the rv and see what it shows. If ok then measure the voltage at the same place.

bkgarcia

According to a speaker on RV electrical issues at the recent Jackson rally, only one bonded neutral plug is required as the sync cables will bond the grounds together.
---
thanks for that info, one more thing i see some people with inverters are turning off the power control monitor, how do you do that ?

danemayer

---
thanks for that info, one more thing i see some people with inverters are turning off the power control monitor, how do you do that ?
I'm not aware of a method of turning off or bypassing the Precision Circuits System (PCS), but you may need to tell it how many amps you're supplying, if less than 30. The PCS system sheds power to manage usage to fit the available power.

Perhaps you're thinking of the TRC Surge Guard Plus 41260 which is a combination transfer switch and Electrical Management System to protect against electrical faults. There was an emergency bypass on older models, but the bypass was discontinued by Southwire for safety reasons, and may not be available on yours. I think some people were using the emergency bypass function to get around generator issues.

dave10a

I agree that the generator needs a neutral and ground tired together with a grounding plug and dual generators only need one ground plug because they share the same ground. However, the interesting part is that construction generators are bonded with ground and neutral tied together while RV generator are not. The expception is Onan that comes with neutral and ground bonded together. All RV's do not have neutral and ground bonded as required by electrical code. Seems like the RV generator manufacturers never got the memo :)

bkgarcia

Some generators need to bond the ground and neutral lines as that's what the trailer is expecting. You can read about this here.

Dan you nailed it ,I went to the hardware store after work and got a $4.00 plug jumped the ground and neutral and the display worked perfect no error and 122 volts.Easy fix =) Thanks a million

bkgarcia

I agree that the generator needs a neutral and ground tired together with a grounding plug and dual generators only need one ground plug because they share the same ground. However, the interesting part is that construction generators are bonded with ground and neutral tied together while RV generator are not. The expception is Onan that comes with neutral and ground bonded together. All RV's do not have neutral and ground bonded as required by electrical code. Seems like the RV generator manufacturers never got the memo :)
--------

Thanks dave that fixed it. Just wondering one thing,i had just one honda 2000 running I think it puts out about 18 amps -- so dose that split it 9 amps per leg and then when i run two thats 18 leg total 36 amps. when you hook up to shore power,is that 15 amps a leg totaling 30amps