Honda EU2000i question.

Dylan

I'm thinking of buying the Honda Companion, by itself. Am I correct in saying it should run everything on our 2009 3670RL, Bighorn? Everything except the A/C that is. Slides, water pump, fridge, TV, etc.....?

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I'm thinking of buying the Honda Companion, by itself. Am I correct in saying it should run everything on our 2009 3670RL, Bighorn? Everything except the A/C that is. Slides, water pump, fridge, TV, etc.....?

Dylan,

The companion must be used with another Honda 2k generator hooked together with parallel cables to use the rv plug. Without being tethered to another 2k you can only use the one single 20 amp standard 110v plug. If your plan is to have only 1 generator you'd be better off buying the standard 2k generator instead of the companion. But as far as one 2k generator running everything else other than the generator, yes. By themselves a 2k generator will run a coffee pot or a small heater or a toaster, etc... however not these high power consuming items at the same time. Hope this helps. :)

Rod

Dylan

so buying the regular EU2000I (not the companion) would be the way to go? I understand you wouldn't have every light on in the rig, but am I correct in saying that one of the 2000's would be fine for the water pump, the fridge, a light here and there, and tv? (good thing we're not coffee drinkers I guess). When the weekend's over, plugging the trailer back in the truck, would assure us that the slides can come in, and the leveling feet will work also.....I assume. Does using the generator also keep the battery charged in our trailer? I know nothing when it comes to electrical, as you can tell....thanks.

Gaffer

Get the Companion and a parrallel kit. You can always use a splitter if you need to plug in more than one cord. You are more likely to stumble on the standard EU2000 later for a bargin or to borrow one than the more rare Companion. You still get the 20 amp receptacle. No downside to the Companion. IMHO.
Model:
EU2000i Companion
Max Watts / Amps:
2000W / 16.7A

Rated Watts / Amps:
1600W / 13.3A

DC Output:
N/A

Receptacles:
20A 125V Receptacle (5-20), 30A 125V Locking Plug

Last edited:

pegmikef

Unless I am using the A/C, I always just use a single Honda. Since I have the pair, I run one for a tank of gas (just under), and then the other (companion) for the same amount of time to kind of keep the hous on them balanced. There is no sense buying the companion unless you plan on pairing it (and then you can always get one later). It will run your rig, the same as the 2000, but doesn't have the battery charge capability which comes in handy once in a while to charge your truck or boat battery or the batteries in any other toys you might have. We are careful what we run . . . it will run a coffee pot or the microwave if you aren't using anything else. For the TV, small fans, lights, etc it works just fine. Yes when the generator is running your battery is being charged. Since a most places have quiet hours, we usually run ours first thing in the morning primarily to charge the battery

Dylan

Last question (maybe)....is the main difference between the two, that the companion has the battery charger feature? Are you able to plug your 30 amp cord from the RV right into the companion, but you would have to use an adapter for the regular 2000? Thanks all for your info....

wdk450

You can always play the load shifting game while you run high current loads like the microwave, a hair dryer, or even your toaster or coffemaker. Just shut down stuff like the electric refrig, electric water heater, or even the 12 volt converter AC breaker TEMPORARILY while you are running these other short-term high current loads. Then turn all the long-term high current loads back on. PS - The refrig and water heater can just be switched over to propane heating for the short duration.

pegmikef

Basically yes. Also there are more standard ac outlets on the 2000 plus the 12 volt dc outlet for charging batteries (requires special cord). I believe the companion costs a little more than the 2000 (I seem to recall a hundred dollar difference.

blacklabbob

I've been using the 2000 Companion w/ 30A plug and the 2000i also connected with Honda's parallel cord for 3 years. Runs everything fine. (1 A/C at a time). You get 3500 watts continuous, 4000 w temporary. They only weigh 49 lbs. each compared to lugging around a Honda 3000 at 130 lbs. I also use the 5 gallon fuel tank offered, connected to both gen. caps which siphons fuel into the units while running. Can run a few days without the bother of filling the gen. after 8 hrs. or so. When not using the A/Cond. I only run one generator in fuel saving mode.

dbbls59

There are many sources online with free shipping and no sales tax. I bought mine at Speedway sales.

Theresau

We carry the companion with us for shorter distances and would carry both for longer distances - especially in the warm months so that we could run the AC.

I've been using the 2000 Companion w/ 30A plug and the 2000i also connected with Honda's parallel cord for 3 years. Runs everything fine. (1 A/C at a time). You get 3500 watts continuous, 4000 w temporary. They only weigh 49 lbs. each compared to lugging around a Honda 3000 at 130 lbs. I also use the 5 gallon fuel tank offered, connected to both gen. caps which siphons fuel into the units while running. Can run a few days without the bother of filling the gen. after 8 hrs. or so. When not using the A/Cond. I only run one generator in fuel saving mode.