HONDA EU3000is GENERATOR

happykraut

I'm trying to help a RV'er here at the park with his EU3000is generator that wont start. We found out that it is not getting a spark. Was working fine a few weeks ago. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

jnbhobe

Is the battery good??? I think it may need battery power to get spark if I remember right.

porthole

Retired
The battery has been dead in my EU3000 since before we got the Cyclone and that was June 2009.

Bernie, did you look inside for rodent damage?

happykraut

We had it hooked to a charger and it cranked fine even without the charger, We looked for damage, but with the hitch in front of it, we couldn't see real good.

Lynn1130

Without seeing what you have there it is hard to make a suggestion but generally I work backwards with those issues. Fuel or spark. In this case spark so can you pull the spark plug wire off of the plug and see if there is spark to the wire? If so, is the plug bad or the spark weak? If there is no spark, move back to the next component before the wire. Coil or electronic? Bad component? As someone said, rodent damage to something?

You said spark but by any chance could it be bad fuel?

happykraut

Without seeing what you have there it is hard to make a suggestion but generally I work backwards with those issues. Fuel or spark. In this case spark so can you pull the spark plug wire off of the plug and see if there is spark to the wire? If so, is the plug bad or the spark weak? If there is no spark, move back to the next component before the wire. Coil or electronic? Bad component? As someone said, rodent damage to something?

You said spark but by any chance could it be bad fuel?
We ruled out the fuel because there is no spark. Tried 3 different plugs. Plug was wet. We checked for spark at the plug, but not at the wire. I don't even know the guy, but I'll go down and see where he stands and give him the suggestions.

happykraut

We took it all apart this morning to check for rodent damage or anything else obvious and all the suggested things. He finally decided to put it back together and took it to a shop. Thanks to all.

happykraut

Problem fixed. After spending $530 at the Honda dealer they found a bad ground. Needless to say he was not a happy camper.