Hooks for Ford's Super Duty hitches

NYSUPstater

What do you all recommend for hooks to go thru the hitch holes on the receiver for tow chains on a '17 Super Duty?? Seems that Ford kinda went overboard on their hitches thinking real heavy loads would be towed thus those trailers having very large hooks. BUT not all towed trailers are this way. Seems like there has to something of same strength to go thru the hols then hooks attach to them. Reason I say same strength is if the ball fails, need a hook that will not break thus lose the trailer. If I'm making any sense. But anyways, need large hooks. Thanks.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I use 3 of these. 2 large ones for the safety chains and 1 smaller one for the breakaway cable. I leave them on the truck, then just connect the hooks to them when I hook up.

1724682422947.jpeg

taskswap

Those shackles are great and very cheap. If you want one alternative I've also had good luck with recovery D-ring shackles. They're much more expensive and overkill if this is your only need - BUT, if you might ever need to actually do a recovery, you usually want one or two in your "kit" so you may as well hang them there as anyplace else...

NYSUPstater

Do the pins come out so you can run them thru the hitch? Problem I'm running into is the hitch is so massive that the hooks can't go all the way thru and by looking at the 2 above pics (well one as the 2nd is same concept), they don't look like they'll fit thru either.

taskswap

Do the pins come out so you can run them thru the hitch? Problem I'm running into is the hitch is so massive that the hooks can't go all the way thru and by looking at the 2 above pics (well one as the 2nd is same concept), they don't look like they'll fit thru either.
Yes, it's a little hard to see from that photo but the pin is threaded. When you remove it, the two halves separate and you can hang the top part through your receiver's hole then reinstall the pin to reattach the bottom part. Same as a standard D-ring shackle. T