Hot Stove!

lwmcguir

Locating a detector (smoke/gas/CO) near the air return is always a good idea. As some of the post note the furnace would be a likely culprit for many problems and if it is running, then the air movement. Needs to be where you can hear it for sure.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have the Kiddie PI9000, which is a dual sensor model: it has both types of sensors. Their are others out there that are good as well. If you mount them near the range they will go off if you have the burners on high so keep that in mind. If you add any detectors to the camper or stick house purchase the dual sensor type.

Based on your earlier comments about the dual sensor detector, I say: "WARNING, WARNING, WILL ROBINSON." It does NOT detect smoke and gases, it detects SMOKE. One sensor detects output from a fast flaming fire, the other from a slow, smoldering one.

Taken from the owner's manual:

Ionization Sensor​
– Protects best against fast flaming fires.

Photoelectric Sensor​
– Protects best against slow smoldering fires

http://www.1000bulbs.com/images/PDF/kidde-pi9000-specs.pdf

This is not to say it is not a good device, only that it is only a smoke detector, it will not detect LP gas or CO. And I agree, if one detector in the occupancy is good, more are better. Especially placed where you will hear them. Wired together is even better. That way if the furthest one goes off, the one over your head will too.