HOT Switch in livingroom

PEIFAMILY

Hi,

Our switch has been getting hot for awhile now, so recently replaced the switch but the new switch wouldnt turn off tonight. I pulled the plug out and I burned my finger touching it. Had to get pliers to unplug them.

Heres a picture of the wiring behind the switch. The new switch must be melted inside.

Suggestions? This is for the livingroom light that has 6 bulbs on. The white/black wire was the really hot one. Would a fix be as simple as running a new wire down to the panel incase there is a nail through it somewhere? (already found a few of those already :()

Thanks
Jason

hotwires.jpg

hoefler

Amp draw too high for the switch. Also, the crimp and/or the spade connection is loose. Loose connections cause resistance, resistance cause the amp draw to go up, the increased resistance/draw builds heat. Replace the switch with one that has at least a 20 amp capacity, and replace the ends on the wires. Cut the wires back far enough to get any discoloration removed.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
X 2. Have you replaced any bulbs in that circuit?? If so, maybe they are a higher amp than they should be. If the amperage draw is too high it would blow a fuse. A nail in wood would not blow a fuse...wood is not a conductor to ground. If the new switch melted...the circuit is drawing too many amps....but not enough to blow the fuse. Also, maybe the fuse for that circuit is a higher amp than should be.

PEIFAMILY

Thanks!

I will go replace the crimps first and then likely retrace/replace the wire.

Bulbs.. I use the same size ones, they do blow a lot though. (replace about 2-3 a month)

Fuse.. I think the origional one is in there yet, will double check the size.

Thanks!

Duramax1

Very strange that you are going through so many light bulbs. Something must not be right.

PEIFAMILY

Current switch is a 20amp switch. The fuse is 15amp.
Replaced the ends and stripped the wire back to better contact. See how that goes after a hour.

Duramax1 - I wouldnt be surprised. I had to replace the inverter a couple months ago. Now have a boondocker 75amp.

Thanks
Jason

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would remove all the lites and see if you have an issue with connections there. Same thing applies, loose bulb sockets and connections can cause the same issue.