Hot water heater

kb0zke

We did another flush just now, and I opened the relief valve on the outside of the hot water heater. No water, so that means that there is none in the tank. That implies that there is a bypass valve somewhere. Where is it on an mpg 181?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If there's no UDC on your trailer, then the bypass valves are located on the backside of the water heater. You will have to remove a panel somewhere behind it to access them.

JohnDar

By "backside" you mean on the inside of the trailer?

Yes, the backside of the water heater faces the interior of the trailer. That's where the inlet and outlet are and where simple bypass valves are usually mounted. Depending on how your trailer is laid out, you might only need to remove a panel inside to gain access. When we had a TT, I installed my own. Fortunately it was under the kitchen sink and easily accessed. On the larger coaches, our plumbing is different and the valves are in the UDC compartment.

kb0zke

I give up! We're going to go right past our dealer Monday on the way to the Rally anyway, so we'll stop in and they can show me where the bypass valves are located. It looks like they might be under the bed. If so, that means taking the mattress out, unscrewing the plywood, and then resetting the valves.

jnbhobe

That might be where they are. Deffinatly on the back of the water heater, just snoop around for a while or call your dealer, He should have shown you everything at delivery.

olcoon

David,
If you don't want to wait until Monday, you could call Heartland, and ask them.

JohnDar

I give up! We're going to go right past our dealer Monday on the way to the Rally anyway, so we'll stop in and they can show me where the bypass valves are located. It looks like they might be under the bed. If so, that means taking the mattress out, unscrewing the plywood, and then resetting the valves.

Is the exterior water heater cover on the outside wall located under your bed? Doesn't seem right that they would put it in a spot that's next to impossible to get at for winterizing valves. But then...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The quickest way to find out would be to give a call to Heartland Customer Service and ask them. They are very knowledgeable and will hook you up with the right person.