Hot water issue with my New/Used Mallard M29

Hello everyone. I am the new owner of a lightly used 2016 Mallard M29.. Upon initial hookup (my first time) at the RV park I am only running electrical on my atwood hot water heater. My issue is that the water gets hot and stays hot but after a few hours the light between my LP hot water heater with and my electrical hot water heater switch comes on. The water is stays hot until I take shower but then it won't reheat new water. I have to turn off switch for few seconds and turn back on and water will heat up again. But the 5-6 hours later the little light comes back on. I have tried and research but can't find anything anywhere with this specific issue. So I am hoping someone with extensive knowledge can enlighten me on the issue and how to resolve.. The light is the DSI FLT light. Thanks in advance

danemayer

Hi soonershooter,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm a little confused by your description of the problem. You say you're running on electric, but are getting a DSI Fault light. DSI stands for Direct Spark Ignition which is the propane side of the water heater. A DSI Fault means that the water heater tried to ignite the propane burner 3 times, but failed.

You should have separate switches for the electric (120V AC) heating element and for the propane/12V DC operation. Turn the electric on and the propane off and see what happens.

Hi soonershooter,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm a little confused by your description of the problem. You say you're running on electric, but are getting a DSI Fault light. DSI stands for Direct Spark Ignition which is the propane side of the water heater. A DSI Fault means that the water heater tried to ignite the propane burner 3 times, but failed.

You should have separate switches for the electric (120V AC) heating element and for the propane/12V DC operation. Turn the electric on and the propane off and see what happens.

Yeah that hat is why I am also confused. I bought the trailer used and it is mint in condition. I have never turned on the LP Gas or flipped the switch. I will try that and see if it changes anything. I was thinking that maybe Water was getting to hot but I think it has a factory setting if 140 and that can’t be adjusted. I will try anything I can to try and resolve the issue. I get hot water but once the light comes on and I take shower the water fails to reheat until
i flip off switch for short period of time and turn it back on. Light stayed off for approximately 6 hours today but now it is back on.

danemayer

Yeah that hat is why I am also confused. I bought the trailer used and it is mint in condition. I have never turned on the LP Gas or flipped the switch. I will try that and see if it changes anything. I was thinking that maybe Water was getting to hot but I think it has a factory setting if 140 and that can’t be adjusted. I will try anything I can to try and resolve the issue. I get hot water but once the light comes on and I take shower the water fails to reheat until
i flip off switch for short period of time and turn it back on. Light stayed off for approximately 6 hours today but now it is back on.

It sounds like you're running the water heater on propane, not on electric. And something's wrong with the propane operation that's making it marginal. Could be as simple as a reduced propane flow, or low voltage on the 12V DC side. But if you turn off the propane switch and turn on the electric, you should get reliable hot water until you can diagnose further.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
If the switch is labeled "12 Volt Water Heater" and the switch is on, then the water heater is operating on propane.
If the switch is labeled "120 Volt Water Heater" and the switch is on, then the water heater is operating on electric.

If the switch is labeled "12 Volt Water Heater" and the switch is on, then the water heater is operating on propane.
If the switch is labeled "120 Volt Water Heater" and the switch is on, then the water heater is operating on electric.

There are 3 switches on the board.. Water Pump (which is off), Water Heater LP Gas (which off), Electric Water Heater (which is on).. I have just setup the camper on Thursday and I have never turned on the propane or turned on the switch. I have a buddy who via phone explained the the water pump is used when NOT connected to city water and the LP Gas is for use with Propane and Electric is for plugged in to electric. The light is in between the LP switch and the Electric with and it comes on after a few hours. Last night I had hot water after I took shower and this morning no hot water. I will flip switch off for a few minutes then back on the light will be off and I will get hot water.

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like you're running the water heater on propane, not on electric. And something's wrong with the propane operation that's making it marginal. Could be as simple as a reduced propane flow, or low voltage on the 12V DC side. But if you turn off the propane switch and turn on the electric, you should get reliable hot water until you can diagnose further.

I looked again and the propane switch is off and I have yet to turn on the propane tank or the switch. It am running strictly electric. I will switch on propane and run that and see if that fixes anything. Thanks for the advice at this point anything helps

danemayer

Ok,

If you've never opened the propane tanks, then I would say that despite the "Water Heater LP Gas" switch being OFF, it's actually ON, or maybe a relay is stuck. Power to the propane components of the water heater, with no propane supply, is what's triggering the DSI Fault light.

If the "Electric Water Heater" switch is ON and you get hot water, but then after using the hot water, it stops heating the water, I'd guess a problem with the thermostat or control board on the water heater.

Putting both problems together, I think there could be a problem with 12V and 120V power getting to the water heater, or a problem with the control board.

It might be time to find a mobile servicer who's authorized to do Atwood warranty work. But first, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask for authorization to use the mobile servicer - you need it in advance. You'll have to pay the travel charge, but that's often less than the cost of towing back to the dealer. And with dealers, you usually have to drop the trailer off for an extended period to get service. So a mobile servicer may be the way to go.

Ok,

If you've never opened the propane tanks, then I would say that despite the "Water Heater LP Gas" switch being OFF, it's actually ON, or maybe a relay is stuck. Power to the propane components of the water heater, with no propane supply, is what's triggering the DSI Fault light.

If the "Electric Water Heater" switch is ON and you get hot water, but then after using the hot water, it stops heating the water, I'd guess a problem with the thermostat or control board on the water heater.

Putting both problems together, I think there could be a problem with 12V and 120V power getting to the water heater, or a problem with the control board.

It might be time to find a mobile servicer who's authorized to do Atwood warranty work. But first, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Ask for authorization to use the mobile servicer - you need it in advance. You'll have to pay the travel charge, but that's often less than the cost of towing back to the dealer. And with dealers, you usually have to drop the trailer off for an extended period to get service. So a mobile servicer may be the way to go.

thanks for the information. Just my own piece of mind I went ahead and turned on the propane and turned in the LP hot water switch and it lit just fine. I am going to leave it on in conjunction with the electric switch to see if the light happens to come on today. If that won’t work I will call heartland and see about problem. From what I can read the Atwood comes with a 2 year warranty and the trailer will be 2 years old in April. Hopefully everything is covered, I really appreciate everyone’s assistance and I hope to have the knowledge to assist others in the future.. I love the trailer and being in S. Florida doesn’t hurt either.. I am from Oklahoma but currently in Naples working and decide led to quite paying for apartment and buy a trailer and I really like the Mallards..

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Although less than 2 years old, if you bought the rig used, the warranty might not be valid. Some of them are only for the original owner, so check the fine print.

thanks for the information. Just my own piece of mind I went ahead and turned on the propane and turned in the LP hot water switch and it lit just fine. I am going to leave it on in conjunction with the electric switch to see if the light happens to come on today. If that won’t work I will call heartland and see about problem. From what I can read the Atwood comes with a 2 year warranty and the trailer will be 2 years old in April. Hopefully everything is covered, I really appreciate everyone’s assistance and I hope to have the knowledge to assist others in the future.. I love the trailer and being in S. Florida doesn’t hurt either.. I am from Oklahoma but currently in Naples working and decide led to quite paying for apartment and buy a trailer and I really like the Mallards..

Hoping I don’t jinx myself but since turning on propane and flipping LP switch the light has stayed off and no issue with hot water.