house ac for trailer

Strawman

Is it possible to install a house ac, one dedicated to the trailer that would run on 220 vac and only 220 v for the ac. This trailer, a 37 foot North Country, one ac in LR, none in BDRM. This unit is a long term stay trailer. The only time this unit will ever move again is during the next earthquake. We are in Ramona ca. where we have already seen 116 in early June. If I have to install an ac in the bdrm I would have to increase the shore power from 30 to 50 amps anyway. Why not run it as 220vac for a more efficient unit. Any residential hvac trailers out there who could give their two cents worth. Thanks all, ya'll have a great site here. Jim Bob

danemayer

Hi Strawman,

In residences, the compressor unit is usually outside the house, mounted on a concrete pad. It's connected via refrigerant lines to a condenser unit inside the house, with a blower moving air across the condenser and out the A/C vents. If 220V is used, it's applied to the outside unit, so assuming you have a permanent installation, I don't see why you couldn't run 220V from an external power source to your outdoor compressor, outside of the RV. No RV electrical modifications needed.

On the RV roof, you would have to install the condenser unit and a blower, and connect the blower to the RV ductwork. A thermostat would have to be connected to the compressor/blower, same as in a house. And refrigerant lines would have to be run between compressor and condenser.

You might contact a local air conditioning company to discuss a custom installation. It would probably be a bit ugly and kludgie looking, and would require some custom fabrication of a house and ducting. But it could probably be done.

But may you should instead look into a free standing room air conditioner that vents through a window. To power it, you might just run a power connection through the sidewall of the RV. You could probably get a free standing unit for $500-600 and the electrical would be another $100 or so.

Gary521

Speedy has a good idea. I have seen these installed in a trailer. I have Mitsubishi in my house and it works great.

danemayer

When the Mitsubishi unit is mounted on an interior wall, do you cut a hole in the wall for exhaust?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The Mitsubishi is over a grand. If you need AC in the bedroom why not get a 5k BTU window mount mount it in the window, plug it in to 120 volt and be cool.
I know of one person that has done that.
Bam, $100 and your done.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

Dan had suggested a "free standing" unit and the Mitsubishi does not fit what he had in mind in my opinion There are units that look almost like a free standing dehumidifier that cool and the are vented through a window.

We we have one on in our Florida room and it's not a bad idea but be aware of the following:

1. Very noisy. As you see reviews on Home Depot or Lowes that is the # 1 complaint.

2. They are going to take some floor space which is fairly precious as you know.

The newer ones are a one tube exhaust. This means they draw air from where they are sitting and exhaust it outside. Getting air into a trailer is not hard as there are holes by design but this air exchange will require you to possibly purchase a larger unit than you might expect. Then reread #1

Gary521

Yes, the Mitsubishi units are a bit pricey. However, they are very efficient and they make very little if any noise at all. You would mount the external compressor on the tongue. They is no exhaust but a small hole drilled thru the wall to run the cooling lines. On some models, is will also heat as well as cool. The interior unit will also run just as a dehumidifier. Mitsubishi is just one of about 4 or 5 companies that make these things. They call them mini splits.

Here is a link to one guy who did this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHDT5ZEpKkw

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The first thing I would do is check with the RV park to see if a window or outside AC unit is allowed. Many RV parks do not allow that as it 'cheapens' the look of the RV park. It makes it look like a trailer park. Better to check first and get written permission. We have know some RV park managers who say it is okay and then the owner of the park says no and makes the person move their RV out.