How cold do you camp?

IronJ

So we are in texas and lets be real...its not the cold capital of the us to say the least...

This time of year we often find great days of 60-70 temps to camp in...

But for a couple of days its gonna be in the low 20s at night....not to mention WINDY!!..

I have a ac heat strip running full bore, a 1500 watt fireplace heater, a quartz type heater and the propane furnace set to 70...lol...thats a lot of btu's...!!!

How cold do you guys camp and what heat is necessary?

I have to keep the livijg room warm as my daughter sleeps in there...and the dog is in the garage area, so its gotta stay decent too...thats a lotta trailer to heat!!

How cold do you guys consider ok??

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

jbeletti

When the overnight lows will be 40 or higher, we use 2 heat pumps in the ACs, often augmented by the fireplace. In my experience, heat pumps (and likely even heat strips in the ACs) do not warm "floor level" downstairs in the coach. That's why I like to run the fireplace too. Or sometimes, I just turn on the fireplace when I get up between 5 and 6 am.

When the overnight lows will be below 40, we will run the propane furnace and augment with the fireplace.

When the overnight lows will be "well" below 40, say 20s, 30s or colder, we will run the propane furnace and augment with the fireplace and a ceramic heater up in the bedroom.

For us, the fireplace augmentation is a lot about propane conservation in addition to warming at floor level downstairs and the ceramic heater up in the bedroom is used as the floor can get real cold up there as most of the bedroom is above unconditioned space.

In my next coach, I may add Cheap Heat (aftermarket).

danemayer

Hi IronJ,

We've spent 6 winters in the Colorado mountains for extended ski vacations with many sub-zero nights and a few going down to -30 (F). Most of the time we're running the furnace on 70 or 72. In the morning, we'll turn on the fireplace. On extremely cold mornings, we'll run a ceramic disc heater in the kitchen. Our bedroom and bathroom get enough heat from the furnace that we didn't need to use a heater there.

I also added extra insulation in the underbelly and have a foamboard mini-skirt under the middle of the coach with another ceramic disc heater keeping the underbelly warm.

And keeping the water running takes additional work in extreme cold. For that I'll point you to the Water Systems Winter Usage Guide.

Plan on going through lots of propane. In sub-freezing temps, you'll need to keep the furnace running a lot to keep water running.

I installed Cheap Heat last spring, and used it all summer with temps overnight in the high 30s and low 40s. But we didn't go skiing this winter, so I can't tell you how it does in extreme cold.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Jeremy, we've been out with temperatures in the 20s, some planned some not. We don't have a big TH so our heating needs are a bit different. The fireplace and a small ceramic heater can actually maintain the coach by themselves but as others mention, you have to heat the belly so you have running water. Sooo, don't worry so much about electric BTUs plan on propane usage and run that furnace. I have a thermometer sending unit in the belly handy to my water pump and plumbing to monitor the temperature. You really need to watch and worry when it's below freezing day and night for several days in a row !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Since we live full-time in ours in Cisco, we have had some nights in the 20s.

We have a Camco heated hose for the water supply, but note some parks don't want you hooked to water if it's going to be below freezing. Plan to run off your fresh tank.

We have a 3rd 30# tank of propane, and take it with us when we go skiing in New Mexico and Colorado in the winter. You don't ever want to run out of propane in sub-freezing temps. In temps below 40 we keep our furnace about 68-70 during the day and 63-65 at night, and have two Vornado heaters to help in the bedroom and kitchen, plus the fireplace (when in the living area, not at night.)

We have two cats that like to sleep with us, so we also have the furr-heaters. ;)

We have a drop light behind the basement wall over the pump, and keep a light on in the UDC.

So far, even with a trip to Angel Fire with highs in the 30s and lows in the teens, we've had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IronJ

Well it worked out fine....I went ahead and disconnected from the water just in case...

Ran heat strip garage with quick cool vents open.

Ran fireplace on high in living room along with a eden pure type heater

Ran set furnace to 70.

Garage to bedroom it was comfortable!!

To be honest we really never get cold or hot in the bedroom, because we use a bed jet on our bed so we sleep in a cocoon of comfort.

Www.bedjet.com

13cee8bb43ecbd93203c2ee75859f9d5.jpg

This thing changed our life....lol...we have them at home too!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IronJ

I think it was about 23 here...but very windy...i think the wind makes it so much worse because of how awesome and air tight our rigs are...lol

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We stay at a state park in the Texas Hill country from Oct-Jan. where we park host and don't pay for electricity. We had some cold nights in the low teens and used the fireplace and electric heater to keep the living area toasty warm. We use the propane fired furnace only when the temps go well below freezing to prevent pipes from freezing and drip the water.

IronJ

If it was just us i think we would be just fine in the bedroom with the bedjet...

But the dogs crate is in the garage...and the 4yr old insists on sleeping in the living room...soooooo

We heat a whole 45ft of trailer!! Lol

As long as the garage door is shut it works out...at these temps i dont think its a good idea to leave furnace under 65 as it heats belly....we would be ok with it lower but its the only heat to the innards....

Im on 50amp and have no issue running ac heat strip/1500watt fireplace /1500watt floor heater /bed jet...

The bedjet will blow 105degree air all night...so we dont feel a thing of cold...lol

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
When the overnight lows will be 40 or higher, we use 2 heat pumps in the ACs, often augmented by the fireplace. In my experience, heat pumps (and likely even heat strips in the ACs) do not warm "floor level" downstairs in the coach. That's why I like to run the fireplace too. Or sometimes, I just turn on the fireplace when I get up between 5 and 6 am.

When the overnight lows will be below 40, we will run the propane furnace and augment with the fireplace.

When the overnight lows will be "well" below 40, say 20s, 30s or colder, we will run the propane furnace and augment with the fireplace and a ceramic heater up in the bedroom.

For us, the fireplace augmentation is a lot about propane conservation in addition to warming at floor level downstairs and the ceramic heater up in the bedroom is used as the floor can get real cold up there as most of the bedroom is above unconditioned space.

In my next coach, I may add Cheap Heat (aftermarket).

Jim get the Cheap Heat! We are completing our first winter with ours and love it. Had it installed at RVs for Less in Knoxville

Oregon_Camper

To be honest we really never get cold or hot in the bedroom, because we use a bed jet on our bed so we sleep in a cocoon of comfort.

Www.bedjet.com

This thing changed our life....lol...we have them at home too!!!

I purchased one of these for my wife to help with her "hot flashes"....it is incredible. She loves it. Having the air blowing over her helps keep her cool on those nights with her hot flashes.

On cold night it also does a great job to warm up the bed. If you want to spoil yourself....get one!!

IronJ

I purchased one of these for my wife to help with her "hot flashes"....it is incredible. She loves it. Having the air blowing over her helps keep her cool on those nights with her hot flashes.

On cold night it also does a great job to warm up the bed. If you want to spoil yourself....get one!!
Amen!!..we have the duals with the sheet so she can have her temp and i can have mine....

In the camper the air keeps you so warm you have no idea what the outside temp is.....we have had guests and they used the one in guest bed and literally bought one as soon as they woke up!...lol