How do you remove the bathroom sink drain tube?

Garypowell

Decided to put a new faucet in the bathroom. Probably typical plastic oval sink in our 3010 RE from 2012. Faucet came out easy. Took the P trap off of the drain line. Moved the nut down the sink drain line and it will not go past the entrance for the plunger arm....which protrudes out.

I also notice that the overflow hole in the sink travels via channel that seems to surround the hole at the bottom of the sink. The drain tube goes up inside this bulge.

Even with the nut loosened (and water dripping out so I know it is free) all I can do is wiggle it. I cannot seem to get it to move up to remove.

But then back to my first sentence. Even if I could move it up to remove it the nut cannot make it past the entrance hole for the drain arm.....so I would not be able to pull it out.

My only guess is that this threaded entrance for the ball and arm that controls the drain plug is glued on after the nut is put on.

The new faucet came with its own unique drain fitting. The mechanism that controls the sink plug is controlled via a cable.....so with this faucet I am stuck using the supplied drain plug....or I would just us what came with the sink from HL.

So....need some plumbing help here in figuring out how to remove the drain line on the sink. Don't want to start cutting plastic until I get some guidance.

Thanks,

Garypowell

OK...so I got impatient and figured the only way to get the drain out was to cut the plastic pipe below the nut and above where the drain stopper rod goes in. I had finally got the drain line loose from the sink and could see that the new drain decorative drain part would fit and the threads on it were long enough to secure from the bottom.

So I cut the old one out....and the new drain parts fit exactly as they should have.

Put the new faucet in and it all seems to work with no water spurting out.

This new faucet is a single handle (which we like) and it extends out "into" the sink area another inch than the standard. I kept seeing water along the end of the counter top along the back edge by the wall. My theory was that with using both handles (with wet hands) combined with the spout being so close to the back of the sink this was causing water to splash/collect near the wall. There was no leak. Even if we eventually put up a new backsplash this water could eventually damage the luan wood wall.

So now we'll see if my theory is correct or are we just slobs!

SLO

One of the first things I did on our 2012 3070RL was replace the cheap lav faucet. Pop-up drain comes off by loosening the big nut on the underside of sink. Pushing up on the pop-up drain from under sink until the top trim ring (the thing you see looking down into the sink bowl, it has the pop-up stopper in it) sticks up into the sink bowl anywhere from 1/4" or more. Then unscrew the trim ring from the drain. The drain now just pulls out from under the sink. Or cutting the plastic does the same thing. Not as easy to cut a brass drain out.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Looks great! I'm trying to get a new bathroom faucet, but so far haven't been successful with my husband. Where did you buy your faucet?

Thanks,

Nancy
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

plumberdude

Hey There nander,
You can pick-up a faucet at any home improvement outlet,,,
The wife and I are moving to Kerrville and if you are close(or not)i would be glad to help..oh by the way you will need long arms:)
Good luck.

pat

Garypowell

Nancy. Got it Home Depot. I watched it for a while to check for leaks. Late last night started to notice water coming from under the base. Just a small weeping. Called American Standard this morning and after a few menus choices spoke directly to someone who told me the unit was defective up inside and nothing to do but replace it.

So I removed the faucet....one nut and two water connections and during our afternoon run seeing customers went to another HD in Atlanta and switched it out. Linda is at an appointment now and when done we are heading back to the rig to install it.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Hey There nander,
You can pick-up a faucet at any home improvement outlet,,,
The wife and I are moving to Kerrville and if you are close(or not)i would be glad to help..oh by the way you will need long arms:)
Good luck.

pat

Thanks for the offer, Pat! I may have shamed him into installing it! ;)
We will be in Kerrville in February for the Sweetheart Rally, but my arms are not very long. :)

Garypowell

The saga continues.....

So I installed the second faucet (American Standard from Home Depot) and it leaked too....bummer. Found this out Tuesday night and we were leaving for mid-GA today. GPS'd the local Lowe's and went there at 8 AM. Found a great replacement. It had copper tubes rather than flexible ones coming out of the body. The only problem was the supply tubes where shorter than the AS faucet. So I had to purchase two "hoses".

Chased back to the rig and all was well except now the center hole was too small. Drew the circle, got out a drill and punched in enough holes and then cleaned out with a countersink bit I had and .....1,2,3 it was done.

Looks great and no LEAKS!

New Glam shot below.....if you look close you will see a difference.

Second Faucet.JPG