how does grey tank overflow?

herefishy

Took a nice long shower today and noticed the water coming up around my ankles, so thought I better go drain the grey. When I got outside, the water was coming through the belly. It quit as soon as I got the drain going, but it made me wonder - shouldn't the water come up into the shower, and ultimately out onto the bathroom floor, when it gets full? Or is there a space at the top of the tank so that it doesn't go on up to the inside? and should I take off the belly and dry it out?

dbbls59

Water should not be coming out from under the belly. There is no drain on the grey tank except the drain valve. When it is full the shower will quit draining, as you found out. The vent may not be sealed on top of the tank. Not sure how you would access it to check. I don't know if it is necessary to drop the belly to dry it out. I had two different fresh water leaks that soaked the underbelly and I did not remove the covering to dry it out.

danemayer

Hi herefishy,

If you take down the basement wall by the UDC, you may be able to see where the shower drain pipe enters gray #1. You might have a loose or cracked fitting where it enters the tank.

You probably should drop the coroplast along the back of the drop frame and get it dried out. If there's wet insulation, you may have a hard time drying it and might need to pull it out and replace it. If you have to take out the front section of coroplast, try to find someone to give you a hand putting it back on. If you have to do it yourself, a 2x4 and some strong spring clamps will make it an easier job.

Also, even if you have to buy one, use an impact wrench on the mounting screws. It'll save you a ton of aggravation.

JanAndBill

Same thing happened to us. Fortunately it was a warranty claim. The pipe for the vent cracked because of lack of clearance. They had to make some location adjustments and replace the damaged fitting. Drop the belly on one side put something in to hold the coroplast down and let it drain, my dripped for 3 days before it finally dried out.

Rickhansen

I have cut small "weep holes" in the coroplast low points. I've not had leaks so much as rain water infiltration.

herefishy

Probably don't need weep holes, as the water came out around the drain pipe for the shower. Will call factory tomorrow and find out the skinny on taking off the belly to air out. Thanks for the responses.

Bobby A

Probably don't need weep holes, as the water came out around the drain pipe for the shower. Will call factory tomorrow and find out the skinny on taking off the belly to air out. Thanks for the responses.

I had the exact thing happen 2 weeks ago with my kitchen (gray #2) tank, it was a cracked fitting on the top of the tank. Lucky for me I could get to the fitting from the inside of the coach through the cold air return on my coach. I'm still thanking God for a easy repair. Yes I did drop the underbelly and let it air out for 3 days it was soaked. You could drop just a corner and take a peak, its not that hard. Good luck,

57chevyconvt

I would tend to follow Dan's advice in order to dry out or replace the wet insulation. I have had a similar experience with leaks and wet insulation. I eventually removed and replaced the insulation.