How does my solar system work??

2010augusta

Without knowing exactly how thing are wired, I would start by removing, labeling, and taping the ends of every wire on the inverter. I have NO experience with solar systems but lots of experience with 12 and 110 volt systems.

Does you trailer have a generator or generator prep? Other than the Solar stuff, your troubles sound a lot like when our Auto Transfer Switch for our Generator failed and half the circuits in the trailer went died, including the power to the converter, so the batteries were not being charged.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
OK, so I've got a heater running in the storage compartment, with the panel to the water pump, etc open. I've got a heater running in the bedroom and I'm going to call it a night and hope for the best upon waking up. I'll tackle the solar problem tomorrow. "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow." ... "Afterall, tomorrow is another day." Scarlett O'Hara, Gone With The Wind.

DougS

Doug S
Sheri,
I just read through your problem, and thought I might suggest you check your shore line power first. If only a couple of outlets are working in your rig, Sounds like you may one of your two power legs that might be out, I assume you have a 50 amp plug.
Second, try to locate you converter, unless the solar installer replaced it, from what I have seen, some of the converters are plugged in. If so, you might just re-plug the converter into an extension cord, for a memory fix.
Try the simple things first like turning all of the circuit breakers on and off. If you can get some one to check your shore line power for full 50 amp service. I do not have too much experience with solar, however, I find it hard to believe everything in an RV runs through an inverter.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Going back to her earlier question about the generator and the furnace. Doesn't the furnace run on 12V, not 110V? So until she gets the 12V problem corrected, she'll have no furnace. All of the Progressive converters run on 110V and there should be an outlet in the basement for it (somehow my rig has two). From earlier posts on converters, the converter supplies 12V to the systems, charging the battery is a secondary function for it.

So, if the solar power system/inverter is kaput, remove it/bypass it from the system and run shore power directly to the rig/converter.

Too bad there weren't any HOTEL listed members nearby to come to her aid.

DougS

Doug S
From an earlier post, I thought I read she only has a couple of outlets for 110 working, I believe the washing machine outlet was one of the few working, that is why I thought a leg on the 50 amp might be out, either at the shore line plug or the circuit breaker box. If she is only running on half power, one leg, the converter might very well be plugged into a dead outlet. The furnace does run on 12 volts, but if the battery is dead and not being charged, it will not work. Also, depending on the solar system she has, the solar system might not be able to bring power back to a dead battery until it has some charge in it.
Just my thoughts.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Checking in... Once again, thanks to everyone for all of your input. Doug, I had already done the things that you suggested and to no avail. Today I called a couple of electrical companies who advertised solar, but none had any experience with a rig like this. So I called our trusty mobile RV service guy and he came out this afternoon.

If you're ever up in the Poconos or Lehigh Valley area and need help I highly recommend Luke's Mobile RV service. Anyway, as to the converter I didn't have one and I knew that. It had been replaced by a Xantrex 3000 inverter. Luke traced the trouble to the inverter. We had a power outage a few days ago for about an hour and a half. Apparently when the power came back on the inverter took a spike. The problem just took a while to manifest itself because the solar panels were still sending some charge to the batteries, but with cloudier days and colder weather the solar couldn't keep the batteries up and of course the shore power wasn't getting through the inverter to the batteries. I think I understand this to be the problem. Anyway, my inverter has been replaced with a converter and all is back working once again. Luke explained that unless I intended to do a lot of dry camping a converter was much, MUCH cheaper than a $4000 inverter. I readily agreed, since I won't be doing dry camping now, without Don.

Anyway, this was the ending to the saga. Oh, and with one space heater running in the bedroom last night, I awoke to 47 degrees. I sure as heck didn't want to climb out of my sleeping bag. And I was glad that I opted for a sleeping bag to hold in body heat. So Scarlett was right... Tomorrow is another day, and it turned out to be a better day!

2010augusta

So glad to hear that you got your problems fixed.

Maybe a Progressive EMS system should be in your future, Ours has saved us from power spikes several times... I think... don't know for sure since everything is still working.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
We had a Surge Guard hardwired into the rig and it died and so did all the power until we could get it removed. Surge Guard replaced it without question, but in the meantime Don decided that he wanted the one that plugs into the pedistal so that if it died he could just unplug it and have power again. That one got wet inside (nope it's not supposed to, but it did) not long before he passed and contacting the company is just one more thing on my looong to-do list.