How long can we camp without power Elkridge 37 Ulta

KelKat

We're planning to camp in areas of the West coast where many nicer state campgrounds do not offer electrical hook-ups. We plan to get an extra battery or three (help on that upgrade would be appreciated) but want to know how long is reasonable to stay off power and still function (i.e. a few lights on, water pump, only the basics with the fridge on LP gas and maybe using the campground showers). I know it's all in how much we use and we don't want to drain the batteries, I'm just looking for an idea on what to expect.

We're also thinking about adding solar, but I don't know if it will be worth it and don't like the idea of roof penetrations on our brand new RV.

Thanks!

Jim.Allison

1st that RV battery you got with your rig is not a deep cycle battery and it will barely provide the DC lighting for your rig. To do what you want you need solar and some serious house batteries. and an inverter if you want to run AC items.

I have a large system, but it is not necessary. My inverter/charger is to large for my application, but my solar panels and batts are correct. The batts you need to stay out for a while are made by Trojan, Continental, and some others depending on how much you want to invest. There are no walmart batteries or costco golf cart batteries that can tote your load. Its a myth. The batteries you need need are industrial renewable energy batteries made by companies in the deep cycle battery business. Hooking Trojan 6v golf cart batteries in series/parallel is popular, but I prefer 12v in parallel. I may be wrong but I have never had anyone explain to me why I should buy 4 6v golf cart batts to do what 3 T1275 12v batts can do. I'm willing to listen though.

To answer your question, with the house batt that came with your unit, you will be limited to a few days. Take a digital voltmeter with you and realize that a battery at 12.4 volts is already 50% discharged. For battery life it is best not to discharge below 50% although you can. A batt at about 13.4 is 100% charged, a batt at 12v is a depleted battery.

Be sure that you always have enough charge to bring in your slideouts and lift your rig for hookup. I killed mine once. I hooked the rig up through the 7 pin in order to operate the slideouts. Be sure not to kill all your batts (vehicle) then you are in a bad spot.

Look at my solar list below, use it as a go-by and If you have solar questions, I might be able to help get you started. PM me if you want more.

BTW, if you intend to camp for a couple of days at a time then get yourself a couple of industrial RE Batts (renewable energy batteries), charge them fully with the 4 step charger in your rig. You can stay out for a while then charge up at an RV park. In this manner you can do a lot of boondocking. You might also search boondocking on youtube. There is a world of info there. Good luck.

We're planning to camp in areas of the West coast where many nicer state campgrounds do not offer electrical hook-ups. We plan to get an extra battery or three (help on that upgrade would be appreciated) but want to know how long is reasonable to stay off power and still function (i.e. a few lights on, water pump, only the basics with the fridge on LP gas and maybe using the campground showers). I know it's all in how much we use and we don't want to drain the batteries, I'm just looking for an idea on what to expect.

We're also thinking about adding solar, but I don't know if it will be worth it and don't like the idea of roof penetrations on our brand new RV.

Thanks!

Birchwood

Buy yourself a generator that will charge your batteries once a day and allow you to watch the news on your tv.Solar is ok but who wants the hassle with solar panels when you are mobile.

Jim.Allison

Your built in charger is a four step charger. Three steps are used. The fourth is used for equalizing the batts, equalizing only occurs when necessary. For authentic deep cycle batteries to be 100% charged they must be BULK charged, the they have to go through ACCEPTANCE, then float, which brings the battery to 13.4 v. Acceptance is accomplished at a very low amperage. The amperage gets less and less as the battery gets closer and closer to 100% charged. This is why a generator or shore power takes all day to charge your house batts to 100%. Its not the generator that takes all day its the charger that takes all day.

You can get a Tax Credit for installing a solar system, I believe its 30% of the cost. I think I would spend $1000 on a solar system and get $300 back on my taxes.

Cost less than a generator and you can watch TV and run appliances. Plus your batts will always be charged.

If you are charging with your generator then don't use your batteries, just use your generator instead.

I refuse to disturb my neighbors that are trying to "get away from it all" also, by running a generator nonstop, Its hard to appreciate just exactly how disrespectful this is until you are victimized by this. The cure is a solar system such as mine. Not as big, but like mine. The last time I was in a primitive campground there was a knucklehead running a generator that I could hear over 100 yard away. Tent campers were having to put up with the Hillbillies in the broken down Winnebago. THEN one of the tent campers unzipped and went to have the conversation with Uncle Jed. The conversation got a little hot for a minute, but Uncle Jed gave in and shut the generator down.

KelKat

Thanks for the information! We'd like to avoid having a generator since there's nothing that can ruin an idyllic spot enjoying nature like a loud generator (ours or a neighbors). I love the idea of a solar system but am not keen on putting penetrations into the brand new roof of our RV. I think we'll start with the deep cycle batteries then add solar if we find we need it. A few years ago we spent a week in a vintage RV in Yosemite and didn't have power at all due to some problem (forgot) which was fine since we only used the RV for sleeping. Still, it would be nice to have a water pump and a couple of lights. I had hoped the stock house battery could support that for at least a few days.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have two of the mythical Costco 12 volt, series 27 batteries and two 100 watt solar panels.
I plan to add two more batteries and two more 100 watt panels eventually.
If I am frugal and don't go nuts with inverters (I carry one, but after all it's camping for gosh sakes) , I can last indefinitely.
My solar will recharge my average DC useage everyday.
I also have an onboard, fairly quiet Onan 5500 that I run only for a few minutes here and there, for microwave, coffee maker etc.

The biggest problem with these larger rigs is the parasitic draw from the refer., safety detectors and such.
Also I highly recommend changing out your light bulbs to LED.
IMHO dumping is your biggest issue when boondocking. Trace

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just a thought. If you are a "boondocker," and want to use solar, can the array be clamped to the ladder or set to the sunny side of the rig for temporary use? Kind of like the portable satelite dish. Then no holes in roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just a thought. If you are a "boondocker," and want to use solar, can the array be clamped to the ladder or set to the sunny side of the rig for temporary use? Kind of like the portable satelite dish. Then no holes in roof.

John,
Yes, that is done all the time.
I did it for a while.
However what I found is you sacrifice charge time while you are traveling. (My TV alternator doesn't quite do the job).
Also, it becomes a pain to have to carry it out at every stop and store it while traveling.
Not to mention, much easier to grow legs and walk away when it is not affixed to the roof.
I ended up mounting them to the roof after a few months.
I used massive amounts of Dicor self leveling sealant.
Trace

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

So you wanna be a boondocker?

Go to my photographs and look at the panels that are stuck down to my roof. those cost $186 each, I got all kinds of watts up there for less than 800 bucks. Way more than what you actually need. But if you do something like i did you need to start off with 2 panels but leave room incase you want to add 2 more in the future. Somewhere, there is a formula for how much PVA you need for X number of amp hours. I intend to boondock along on these 300 amp hour batts until I decide to add another batt. Right now I don't need it. But I surely have the solar panel capacity to to add more batts. Yes I have 300 amp hours available, but only 50% can be used if I want to keep the batt for a long time. It is possible to cycle to 30 or 40% but the life of the batteries diminishes.

If you keep your authentic deep cycle batts charged properly, 13.5v or more possibly pushing them to 14.1 your system will be efficient and require less batteries. My system charges while traveling. Problem I have though and I dont know how to cure it yet is that my TV is providing 13.5v to my house batts while traveling. My solar charger interprets that the batts are at 13.5 volts (which may or may not be true) which puts the charger at float. There has to be a solution to this, I just have not found it yet. But for the most part my bulk charge and acceptance charge is above 14.2v so the solar charger is not going to quit until the 14.2 has been held for 6 hours or so. You have to get into it so see what I'm talking about. But all in all my charger, TV alternator, and my solar charger play well together.

As far as using a generator is concerned, there is one positive use for a gen. and that is bulk charge. IF you were to run your batts down to 12.4v (50% discharged) you could bulk charge with the generator to bring the batts up to 80%. This could get you through until you get 8 hours of good sunshine. The charger is the key, efficiencies are the of utmost importance. The amp hours are not in the .6 volts between 12.4 and 13v its between 13 and 13.5v 13.8 if you can get it. The proper PV charger can save you a whole panel, the right brand and quality of solar panel can save you another panel.

You have to get modern solar panels, harbor freight and northern tool solar panels are kindergarten toys compared to what is available. Its dollars per watt. At this point my system is in the neighborhood of $1.50 per watt. You cant do that with harbor freight panels and chargers.

My panels are not screwed to anything, they are peel and stick, plug and play panels. You dont need to turn them to the sun, their surface is designed to accept sunshine from all angles, some angles more efficiently than others. I ran my wires through the vent on the front right washer drain vent pipe down into the basement. It worked well but I might do it differently if given the opportunity.

Knowing what I know now, I could build a smaller system to serve my rig. Mistakes I made is my inverter is probably too big, I might change locations of my equipment and I might choose a different style of battery, I dont like the battery post I have. But all in all I have a system that can get the job done well. Its my first effort and I guarantee you it is better than anything you could get a dealer to do for you. And it is way easier than anyone thinks, its basically plug and play. But you do have to plan but if you can build a doghouse, read and understand instructions, And you have some idea what your needs are you can build a system. The best systems are built by owners who care about their rigs, and are willing to put some study into the project and are willing to ask questions.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John,
Yes that is done all the time.
I did it for a little while.
However what I found is you sacrifice charge time while you are traveling. (My TV alternator doesn't quite do the job).
Also, it becomes a drag to have to carry it out at every stop. Not to mention, much easier to grow legs and walk away when it is not affixed to the roof.
I ended up mounting them to the roof after a few months.
I used massive amounts of sealant.
Trace

Thanks, Trace. I was curious how folks dealt with it.

scottyb

I want to jump into a project like this so bad I can't stand it. I want a full array of panels, a high-end solar charger, and a PSW inverter, AGS, battery monitor, etc., etc.. The only problem is, currently 75% of my camping is where I need to run the AC most, if not all the time. That pretty much eliminates the solar option. Even when we dry camped in Big Bend last year in Apr, it was near 100 during the day. Looks like it's all generator or FHU camping for us for the time being and very hard to justify the cost. I'm probably going to go ahead and add the PSW inverter, AGS, and battery monitor so I can make coffee during quiet hours :rolleyes:. I already have 450 Ah of storage (4 x 6V).

Here is a very good web site with a lot of information about installation and solar calculations.

Jim.Allison

I can get you started and help along the way, one of the things I can do for you is tell you where I spent money I didnt need to spend. LOL. It really is like building a model car........

I want to jump into a project like this so bad I can't stand it. I want a full array of panels, a high-end solar charger, and a PSW inverter, AGS, battery monitor, etc., etc.. The only problem is, currently 75% of my camping is where I need to run the AC most, if not all the time. That pretty much eliminates the solar option. Even when we dry camped in Big Bend last year in Apr, it was near 100 during the day. Looks like it's all generator or FHU camping for us for the time being and very hard to justify the cost. I'm probably going to go ahead and add the PSW inverter, AGS, and battery monitor so I can make coffee during quiet hours :rolleyes:. I already have 450 Ah of storage (4 x 6V).

Here is a very good web site with a lot of information about installation and solar calculations.

Crumgater

You mentioned this is for camping on the West Coast... If that means on the WA/OR coast, solar might not be your best option, anyway, depending on the time of year. :)

We have 2 batteries in our unit (deep cycle, but don't know the brand). We can keep the lights on, water pump going and fridge (on LP) for a few days - as long as we don't need the furnace running. The fan on the furnace can draw the batteries down in 24 hours (depending on amount of use). We've looked at getting a catalytic heater for that reason, but haven't gone that route yet. One early morning, we had to startup the generator (we use a portable Honda 2000, so had to go outside and set it up) to recharge the batteries and get the heat back on. Not fun for us or the people around us to hear the genny at 4am.

The solar is very appealing, but most of our camping in sunny locations is on full hookups, so no need. When we would need the added boost is in the fall, and we're in Seattle parked under trees in that location. So, probably won't do us much good.

I DO second the switch-out to LED lights. They give just as much light for 1/10th the energy. I don't concern myself with turning all the lights on now, like I used to... of course, before the switch to LED's, the power draw on the main room switch was enough to burn out the switch (twice)... so LED's was not a luxury item for us, it was a safety issue.

Jim.Allison

There is not much you can do with a solar system when it is cloudy 7 days per week. But if you are on the coast a small wind generator will a outperform solar. There is always a way to charge your battery without running your generator. Interesting thing about the wind generator is that it does not have to produce as much as a panel because a wind gen produces 24 per day in most places.