How many do their own warranty work?

Cimriver

Do you suppose Heartland and the other RV manufacturer bank on us doing our own warranty work. I'm thinking they do.

I am just like the rest of you. I fix things myself as I have do not have a great deal of confidence in RV repair person and I don't want to have to haul the RV to the dealer, leave it for whatever time frame feels good to them, and I know they won't do as good of a job as I will.

We are our worst enemy's. If the RV manufacturers had to fix everything that broke, likely the quality of the product would get better, but they know they aren't going to have to, so why bother.

I'm not picking on Heartland here. I think they are a step above most manufacturers. I have had my share of warranty issues on our Elkridge. Heartland/dealer fixed the refrigerator and I fixed the rest.

Do you suppose Heartland and the other RV manufacturer bank on us doing our own warranty work. I'm thinking they do...

Hi Cimriver,

My response below is not directed specifically to you, I just used your post as my trigger to weigh in. Thank you and everyone else for a lively conversation :)

For all,

I work for Heartland and I have never heard of warranty cost budgets being based on some percentage of retail self-repairs. My sense is that warranty cost budgets are developed by run-rating our current actual warranty costs. Now that said, if a larger percentage of warranty repairs are being completed by retail owners and those costs are not borne by Heartland, it would stand to reason that warranty cost budgets would be lower than the reality of actual warranty repairs being done in totality.

I feel I'm safe in saying that Heartland does not want you to have to make your own warranty repairs. What we want is for you to do what is comfortable for you. If that means taking it in for service or effecting your own remedy.

RVs ownership has an inherent amount of likelihood of some sort of maintenance, adjustments and repairs over a person's ownership of one, be it a Heartland or some other brand. Some owners have the skills, tools and desire to take care of some issues. Others have even more ability and inclination whereas there is a small percentage of owners with no skill-set or inclination for such things. The folks in the latter category will find themselves needing to visit the dealership more often than others. This is something we all have to understand and accept when we buy.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hi Cimriver,

My response below is not directed specifically to you, I just used your post as my trigger to weigh in. Thank you and everyone else for a lively conversation :)

For all,

I work for Heartland and I have never heard of warranty cost budgets being based on some percentage of retail self-repairs. My sense is that warranty cost budgets are developed by run-rating our current actual warranty costs. Now that said, if a larger percentage of warranty repairs are being completed by retail owners and those costs are not borne by Heartland, it would stand to reason that warranty cost budgets would be lower than the reality of actual warranty repairs being done in totality.

I feel I'm safe in saying that Heartland does not want you to have to make your own warranty repairs. What we want is for you to do what is comfortable for you. If that means taking it in for service or effecting your own remedy.

RVs ownership has an inherent amount of likelihood of some sort of maintenance, adjustments and repairs over a person's ownership of one, be it a Heartland or some other brand. Some owners have the skills, tools and desire to take care of some issues. Others have even more ability and inclination whereas there is a small percentage of owners with no skill-set or inclination for such things. The folks in the latter category will find themselves needing to visit the dealership more often than others. This is something we all have to understand and accept when we buy.

Jim

Jim B, I believe what you said is correct. What do you think about the fact if everyone (or the majority) did their own warranty repair work then the manufacturer would not know which parts are failing an why. It could be a vendor has a bad run or is supplying defective parts and without warranty claims there is no way of accurately tracking that. There could also be a problem with assembly the manufacturer would be unaware of. I have nothing against doing your own repairs if that is what you want but there are other considerations as well. Not to mention there is no record of a repetitive issue if you are doing the repair yourself.

Jim B, I believe what you said is correct. What do you think about the fact if everyone (or the majority) did their own warranty repair work then the manufacturer would not know which parts are failing an why. It could be a vendor has a bad run or is supplying defective parts and without warranty claims there is no way of accurately tracking that. There could also be a problem with assembly the manufacturer would be unaware of. I have nothing against doing your own repairs if that is what you want but there are other considerations as well. Not to mention there is no record of a repetitive issue if you are doing the repair yourself.

Hi Jim,

I agree with you - if the majority of warranty repair work was not being reported/recorded, then we would not have a good sense of what is really going on. That said, based on at least 50-60,000 coaches on the road, versus all the comments I've read about self-repairs within the warranty period, I don't feel the majority are warranty repairs are self-repairs.

Jim

RollingHome

Ya know folks, I think many factors are at play here. None of us can say we don't feel good about solving our own problems and fixing the wrong... I can't can you... dah, I think it's called ego ! Us guys and sometimes the gals, are on ego trips. Admit it or not we are ! So HL wins when we fix the wrong, so what ? I did it with my Fleetwood TT, I did it with my Jayco TT and I'll do it with the next RV ( I hope it's a HL). So yeah, HL saves a few $... more importantly we learn about our RV. Some folks are crafty, others have to use the HL warranty route. One is NOT better then the other, we all get by. I like getting my hands dirty, so do you maybe. If ya don't, sorry, maybe you're the guy (or gal) who bails me out and does the really dirty stuff, like fixing my teeth or removing my tumor... In the end we all fit in. As I always say, the most important guy (or gal) in the neighborhood is the trashperson. If ya don't believe and you're really into filth, rats and vermin, just get rid of em. As a team folks we win. What better place to start then on this forum as we help each other to win ? Why not state the problem, ask the question, listen to the answer and try the solution ? You will feel better when YOU solve your problem and YOU fix it. As a team we all win... Not one person or RV'er is better then the next, not me, not you, not no one, we will help each other and we will be better for it as a team... As a team we win ! Tom

jmgratz

Ya know folks, I think many factors are at play here. None of us can say we don't feel good about solving our own problems and fixing the wrong... I can't can you... dah, I think it's called ego ! Us guys and sometimes the gals, are on ego trips. Admit it or not we are ! So HL wins when we fix the wrong, so what ? I did it with my Fleetwood TT, I did it with my Jayco TT and I'll do it with the next RV ( I hope it's a HL). So yeah, HL saves a few $... more importantly we learn about our RV. Some folks are crafty, others have to use the HL warranty route. One is NOT better then the other, we all get by. I like getting my hands dirty, so do you maybe. If ya don't, sorry, maybe you're the guy (or gal) who bails me out and does the really dirty stuff, like fixing my teeth or removing my tumor... In the end we all fit in. As I always say, the most important guy (or gal) in the neighborhood is the trashperson. If ya don't believe and you're really into filth, rats and vermin, just get rid of em. As a team folks we win. What better place to start then on this forum as we help each other to win ? Why not state the problem, ask the question, listen to the answer and try the solution ? You will feel better when YOU solve your problem and YOU fix it. As a team we all win... Not one person or RV'er is better then the next, not me, not you, not no one, we will help each other and we will be better for it as a team... As a team we win ! Tom

I agree. And as Clint Eastwood said "A man has got to know his limitations". Well said

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had various minor issues with our NT... some we could have possibly fixed, but it was our first RV ever, so I think we had it in 3 times for warranty work. Now, with the ER, we fixed the minor stuff, and waited for a few trips under our belt, to make sure we tried out everything... Well, discovering big things like appliances not operating correctly, that's not OK. Back to the Dealer.
We decided if we can fix it without major expense, we will. Our Dealer has taken too long and doesn't always fix the problem to our satisfaction. (Personal experience).

This forum is a major help as well, because here, you can find out if it really IS a dealer-warranted problem, or something you can fix yourself. I took printouts from this forum for 3 of my warranty issues, just to back up my claims.

TT

skyguy

I'll do my own repairs whenever I feel comfortable doing them. The fridge was on the fritz for a bit last year, and I took the 3670 to a local warranty dealer. They found a wire rubbing and that may have been the cause. Other than that, mostly minor stuff.

I agree that proper upkeep is very important - preventative maintenance may save major issues down the road.

I will NOT take my RV to any dealer during the summer RV season unless there was no other choice!! They are all absolutely JAMMED with customers, they are HOT and tired, the help is HOT and tired - you get where I am going with this one! You most likely will have to leave it there for a while! If I can put off a "have to go to the dealer" issue until colder weather sets in, when the dealer is looking for things to do, I will.

And I know the job will be done right the first time!

Al S.

beardedone

Beardedone
I am one of those guys who is always looking out to see what is happening with the trailer and the truck. That is one reason I am somewhat active on the web site. Firstly, I learn, other owners may learn and I am sure Heartland learns. If I am a long way from nowhere I like to have an even chance of making any repairs to help myself or others get back home. I know our units aren't perfect and therefore I appreciate the existence of this site so we all can learn more. When we have an issue I don't see it as bashing, but learning for everyone. Therefore I have two tool boxes and a computer!

2010augusta

I have done ALL of our warranty work for a few reasons.

1. We are full-timers and any time without our trailer means we are paying for a hotel or monthly apartment.
2. We knew we would never be back in the same area as our purchasing dealer, so we bought way out-of-state for the best deal.
3. I trust my repair work and mechanical abilities many times more than most RV's techs who's goal is to get thing done as fast as possible, not fix things as best as possible.

Heartland has been great about sending me parts and supplies to do the repairs.

Hello, I'm a rookie at this rv stuff but I tend to agree with the majority of replies here. The dealer is 150 miles away and I know they are jammed in camping season. If I can fix it quickly and cheaply I would rather do that. I had a 110v problem when I brought the new 2900MK home and plugged it in to the GFI in my garage. It tripped and I spent two days tracking down a neutral to ground short in one ckt in the sofa slide out. There was no wiring diagram of 110v ckts so it was trace and eliminate until the problem was isolated with wire nuts. Two outlets are now dead one at the dinette and one at the floor to plug in the sofa air mattress. Its obvious neither the dealer or the factory was using a GFI to do the delivery checks. A non-GFI ckt worked just fine at the dealer. This could have been a problem had someone been standing in a puddle and contacted the electrified frame work. I may wait until fall and return to the dealer with a punch list or if I don't find many problems I'll just fix the minor stuff myself. I'm still working thru systems and looking for problems . Only been a very few items as of this time. I love the unit; and how about that artical in Trailer life this mounth. I'm looking forward to the rally at Broadway Va. next month. One more thing, I'm beginning to worry about being the only guy out there with a hemi 5.7 towing any fifth wheel. It's a little slow away from a stoplight but Va. mountins and inter-state don't seem to be a problem. Stopping is comfortable too. My wife and I are looking forward to meeting the folks at Broadway. Edwards 1000

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I agree to getting things done, I am in Missoula and my dealer is 2500 miles away, so I fixed my gen set. It now runs the way it is supposed to.

slaytop

I will hop on board those who do their own repairs. I purchased my unit at a dealer 300 miles from home and the local dealer (no longer with Heartland) wasn't happy with my decision. At $90 per hour and no guarantee of quality work because of time pressures to get jobs done quickly at the dealers, I prefer to do my own repairs and improvements and then share them with the forum. There's no doubt that owning an RV is a continuing project for the DIYer. It's challenging and frustrating at times but the lifestyle of using it is very rewarding. Speaking of frustrations, I will be at the Nashville rally staying in a studio lodge because my unit will be at home waiting for me to complete the installation of a replacement storage area floor.

jmgratz

A thought just occurred to me. Think about the RV repair technician; they have to be a plumber, electrician, auto/truck mechanic, air conditioning repairman, LP gas repairman, paint/body repairman, carpenter, and a general jack of all trades man. No wonder they get $90 an hour. To get properly trained to be competent in all of those areas it would take 20 years at least. So if you get a 19 year old working on your rig, be sure they will be properly supervised with someone who knows what they are doing. MHO

DW_Gray

How do you prove you're completely able to do the warranty work?

I started out overhauling cars as a young lad. Performed maintenance and repairs on heavy military vehicles for over 11 years. I was a electronics technician and electromechanical engineer for over 15 years. I operated and maintained my equipment that tracked rockets launched into space and tracked satellites up there. So I'm not just some simple back yard mechanic (no offense).

Yet I can not convince this one company to send me the repair part for an installed unit that I am very capable of fixing myself.

When I recently called Dell because one of my 3 year old hard drives had failed, they replaced that, and since the other drive was also 3 years old, they replaced that as well. When asked if I needed a technician to do work, I simply replied "Young man, I've been operating and maintaining computers before you were born." - "They'll be shipped out today Mr. Gray."

Last edited:

lwmcguir

The more of us that do as much of the warranty/repair work as possible will help keep the cost down for the rest. It only makes sense to me to do what you can do if you have the expertise and time. We are becoming a dependent society and that isn't a good thing. Congratulations to all of you that do as much as you can do.

ct0218

I've been able to do all my own repairs and maintenance. I decided after my PDI that I would not likely ever be back at the dealer, especially considering it was a 250 mile round trip. After reading this forum for 5 or 6 months I knew more than the service department about potential problem areas, and feel I trained the salesman on the Landmark. I walked thru one on the lot and explained all the features to him! Most things that go wrong can be corrected by the owner, and mine won't go back to a dealer unless it is technically beyond my capabilities.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
On previous posts I mentioned that my propane gen would not run, I fixed it while in Missoula mt, as suggested on this forum, it was the line from the tank to the regulator.

MC9

edwards1000, I also do all my own repairs, warranty or not. However, on our way home from AZ this spring the power went out in the living room slide (some plugs on that circuit did work though). Since I was driving through Elkhart anyway I called HL and stopped in. The tech at Capitol immediately checked the junction box that feeds the slide plugs (run the slide out it is screwed to the frame) found it was loose from the frame. It affects the neutral/grnd situation.

sdrubrecht

Our dealer is 75 miles away and always booked for several weeks ahead. Then, when you bring in your rig, it sits a week or two till they look at it. After that, the quality of the repair leaves much to be desired. Inexperience and pressure to get things done. I do all I can myself and am proud that I can handle most things. I agree with lwmcguir, we all need to learn how to take care of ourselves.