How to attach something to the wall

JanAndBill

Trying to get the new rig loaded and ready to go. Any suggestions out there for attaching towel rods, toliet paper holders etc. in the bathroom. Thought about screws/anchors, but the wall board is so thin, I'm afraid they'll pull out. Thought about adhesive or epoxy to mount the plate to the wall. In our previous unit we used command strips for pictures and light items, but they won't really work for a towel rod. Know I can get an over the door hanger, but that looks tacky. Any suggestions out there?

Sumo

We us the command strip towel hooks on the bathroom door. Works well for us, but not as nice looking as a towel rod. I have used the wall anchors/screws for toilet paper holder. it works but I have had to re-tighten the screws more than once.

ncc1701e

I'm sure someone is going to jump on me, but I used 1/8" wing clamps. I cut the bolt very short, just long enough to let the wings expand once pushed through the wall. The real trick for me was using a round rod for the towel bar and making sure that when put together the bar could roll thus taking most of the strain off the wall. I will be doing the same thing in our new Sundance before we leave for S.C. Lowes, Menards, most any home store carries the bolts.

images

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you look carefully, you should be able to find plastic anchors that are made for thin wall material. Standard drywall anchors require too much thickness before they expand. The screw-in types also require some "meat" to bite into. "ncc1701e's" idea of using the spreading molly isn't a bad idea, once you get past drilling the larger hole to pass the molly through. I was able to mount a standard towel bar under the cabinet over our toilet (enclosed bathroom) by mounting it to the bottom of the cabinet. We also have the "tacky" over the shower wall towel rack, which works just fine.

scottyb

I used plastic anchors to mount towel racks and rings and TP holders. I have only had the rig since July, but they seem solid and are holding up well so far.

Westwind

We use an over the door towel rack on the door that goes directly into the bedroom which we keep closed. We use the hall door for the bathroom because it's quieter when we get up at night, don't like disturbing each other. The toilet paper holder I attached to a 1/2 inch piece of wood and used heavy duty velcro to attach it to the wall. I also am a little nervous about drilling holes in the walls and successfully attaching something long term.
The Velcro worked for 3 months, but the heat in the trailer this summer caused it to fall off the wall, have to reattach it for this snowbird season.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We use a free standing TP holder.
We have an over the door hook. Bath towels go on a plastic hanger and hang on those hooks.
I mounted towel racks on the side of the vanity and under the wall cabinet for hand towels.
If we knew what model floor plan you have, someone might have some better ideas suited to your rig.

Peace
Dave

gasman

Camp Socializer
We use an over the door towel rack on the door that goes directly into the bedroom which we keep closed. We use the hall door for the bathroom because it's quieter when we get up at night, don't like disturbing each other. The toilet paper holder I attached to a 1/2 inch piece of wood and used heavy duty velcro to attach it to the wall. I also am a little nervous about drilling holes in the walls and successfully attaching something long term.
The Velcro worked for 3 months, but the heat in the trailer this summer caused it to fall off the wall, have to reattach it for this snowbird season.

If you look around a little, you can find high temp velcro. It will stay in place even in the hot summer temps. Try a craft or fabric store.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I was able to find a free-standing toilet paper holder and over the shower-wall towel holders made of the "rubbed bronze" fixtures. I really didn't want the toilet paper holder attached to a wall...the area is narrow and I didn't want it accidently knocked repeatedly to the point of making a mess to fix! I do like the idea of attaching a towel holder under the cabinet that is above the toilet :)

JohnDar

I was able to find a free-standing toilet paper holder and over the shower-wall towel holders made of the "rubbed bronze" fixtures. I really didn't want the toilet paper holder attached to a wall...the area is narrow and I didn't want it accidently knocked repeatedly to the point of making a mess to fix! I do like the idea of attaching a towel holder under the cabinet that is above the toilet :)

You've just described our bathroom! Extra TP is also in a decorative canister (within easy reach). We were lucky, since our shower door still had the bar attached to the glass. The only fixture I wall mounted (plastic molly) was a towel ring by the sink. Remembering to lift the towel off, rather than rip it off, has kept it secure. Here's a photo of the towel bar under the cabinet. The cabinet has a double bottom and I used machine screws with washers inside to support it. You may also have to cut the bar down a bit, since they tend to be longer than the cabinet is.

View attachment 22563
View attachment 22564View attachment 22565

pegmikef

I found the studs and screwed a fir strip the length of the towel rack to them, and the attached a two towel rack to the fir strip.

Attachments

• rack3.JPG
    rack3.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 119
  • rack1.JPG
    rack1.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 117
  • rack2.JPG
    rack2.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 120

Westwind

Unfortunately we don't have a lot of wall space in our bathroom, we have two pocket doors sucking up most of the wall space except around the toilet, my wife doesn't want one ear the toilet so the over the door towel rack does well for us.

Geo

I did some thing like mike but I used ½ X 3” oak, I used a router to do the edges & stain to match,
screwed that to the wall studs & then screwed the towel bar to it.

George

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I used small molly fasterners for the TP holder and towel rack. They have been in place for 5 years now with no issues. You just cant do pull-ups or use them to pull yourself off the stool.

JohnDar

I did some thing like mike but I used ½ X 3” oak, I used a router to do the edges & stain to match,
screwed that to the wall studs & then screwed the towel bar to it.

George

That is an excellent way to do it. Unfortunately, in the 3670 enclosed bath, there isn't a wall that would be a good place for that.

MurrayN.

I also used an oak plank, but mine was 6 " wide and either 1/2 or 3/4 " thick , I can't remember which. I bought it at Home Depot. I got a friend of mine to router the edges to dress it up , stained it and screwed it solidly into the wall studs. I was quite proud of how it turned out , not having much of a handyman's hand. In our Sundance I put one towel rod on the wall by the medicine cabinet and another on the other wall, and I put a third rod on the underside of the shelf. Now we have enough for our family of four.

JanAndBill

My wife wanted to stop at Hobby Lobby the other day, and while there we found a neat towel rack with 5 hooks that was mounted to a 1/2 thick stained board. The price was 50% off which meant we got it for less than $15. Had to cut some off to make it fit in the space over the toilet and rearrange the hooks, which left one extra hook. I found a stud in the wall next to the mirror, which made an excellent place for that extra hook. Behind the toliet there is a single stud in the center which I put two screws top and bottom of the backing board. Then on each end I found an excellent product at Lowes - http://www.easyanchors.com/Products.aspx?product=studHollow&info=features to use. I figured if they would work on a hollow core door they'd work on the thin panelling in the walls. They work great!! I think the hooks will pull off the backing board before the board turns loose from the wall.