How to setup a Directv DVR

ronbo

Recently purchased a 2008 Big Horn and would like to get a DVR to work. I'm currently using old receiver from 2009 that is working fine. I was planning to move it to the bedroom and go with the DVR in the L/R. Everyone I've talked to says I need 2 lines coming inside to get the DVR to work. Not quite sure how to accomplish. I'm using an older round dish on a tripod. I'm not sure what kind of equipment I need to get. I don't really have to have an HD setup--just want the capability to record and pause. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

danemayer

Hi ronbo,

With Directv DVRs, there are two options.

If using the older technology dish and receiver (sounds like what you have) you probably need 2 feeds to the DVR - one for each of its tuners. The old round dish likely has only one coax out. You may be able to get a satellite splitter and turn it into 2 lines - but I've never tried that and I'm not sure whether that will work. An oval Slimline 3 dish with 4 coax connections will definitely work, but you'd need to run a 2nd coax line to the receiver.

The other option is to get a dish with a SWM LNB (the thing on the end of the arm that points at the dish). The SWM technology requires only one coax wire to the receiver. The receiver must support SWM dishes, but many from 5-6 years ago do. You can check the Satellite setup menu on your receiver to see if it supports a SWM Slimline 3 dish.

A slimline 3 dish will give you HD as a side benefit. But it's a bit harder to aim than the round dish.

lynndiwagoner

Does DVR mean a satellite receiver that records? What model of receiver is it? What model BH is it? Which dish provider are you using? I'm thinking you want to install two receivers in the new rig, one being a non-dvr type. If that is the case, you will want to locate the wiring diagram for your rig, go to the HOM section and try to find it. You will probably need two coax's from the round dish to the rig, one for each receiver, depending upon your provider. I hate for people to say this, but if you search around this forum there will be a bunch of info that will help you, but you will probably need to provide the information I mentioned above.

ronbo

I'm using the older round dish from way back...lol but I have 2 coax cables coming out from it. At one time I had 2 receivers. My problem is (I think) once I get the 2 lines to the to the UDC there are 2 places for the satellite coax one goes to the bedroom and one goes to the livingroom. At this point will I need some sort of SWM thing to convert the 2 lines 2 one line??

danemayer

I'm using the older round dish from way back...lol but I have 2 coax cables coming out from it. At one time I had 2 receivers. My problem is (I think) once I get the 2 lines to the to the UDC there are 2 places for the satellite coax one goes to the bedroom and one goes to the livingroom. At this point will I need some sort of SWM thing to convert the 2 lines 2 one line??

Unless you have SWM (not the round dish), you will need 2 coax lines to the DVR. In the UDC, there are 2 lines; one to the bedroom and the other to the living room. So that won't get you 2 lines to the DVR. You'll need to run a 3rd line. The easiest way is outside, coming through a window using a flat connector. You can also run a line along the frame and up into the entertainment center, but that requires you create an entry point under the trailer.

If you get new equipment that supports SWM, one coax wire to the DVR is all you need.

ronbo

Unless you have SWM (not the round dish), you will need 2 coax lines to the DVR. In the UDC, there are 2 lines; one to the bedroom and the other to the living room. So that won't get you 2 lines to the DVR. You'll need to run a 3rd line. The easiest way is outside, coming through a window using a flat connector. You can also run a line along the frame and up into the entertainment center, but that requires you create an entry point under the trailer.

If you get new equipment that supports SWM, one coax wire to the DVR is all you need.

I understand....I think I can go the easiest way, as there is a window just below the entertainment center! Thanks for all your help!