Hydraulic Landing Gear Leveling

wcloudy06

This may be a dumb question but am a new owner of a Big Country fifth wheel. If you have to block the wheels on one side to get your side to side, do you also need to block that side of the front landing gear or will they adjust? I didn't know if the front two hydraulic landing legs pushed at the same height or what. Wesley 2014 Big Country Fifth Wheel

danemayer

Hi wcloudy06,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

That's actually a pretty good question. The way I understand it, on a trailer with front hydraulic jacks, after you get the rear leveled, when you extend the front jacks to unhitch, one jack moves first and continues until it meets a little resistance (the ground), then the other moves until it catches up. After pressure is equalized between the two jacks, the lifting begins. So if you blocked one jack, it wouldn't change the pressure equalization, it would just mean that jack wouldn't have to extend as far.

All that to say that the front lifts, but doesn't do any side to side leveling.

Btw, I moved the thread into a subforum that covers this type of question.

scottyb

Dan is correct. The front hydraulic landing gear only lifts after both legs are planted. They only work for F-B levelling. Unless you have the Level-up system, you have to use boards or blocks under the tires for S-S.

wcloudy06

Thanks. I just didn't know if the front land gear would carry the same angle as with the wheels blocked would. I had a tongue pull for years and am still learning the fifth wheel. Also thanks, I see lots of information on here and will enjoy the blog. Wesley and Kate Cloudy.....Big Country.....Texas

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Get 2 stick-on levels. Put one on the front left corner by the front landing gear switch and one on the left side front so you can see it. If you have 2 large slides on the off door side.....you need to put blocks under the ODS tires. When the slides are out, that side will drop. When you get into your site, look at the level on the front and see how you need to level your BC. Do this before you unhook. You if dont have them already, get a set of "lego" plastic blocks and keep in your BC.