I have DC power but no AC power

hcriddle

Last night about 8:30pm we lost AC power in our Bighorn. DC lights still work but no TV, microwave, AC's or anything that runs on AC power. The EMS says I have power coming in 117V on line 1 and 125V on line 2. Since it was late and I had to get up early for work I just killed the breaker at the pedestal and slept in the heat. If I have read the other similar posts correctly I should start at the transfer switch if there is one and also check the busse bar for loose or burnt wiring, correct?

I will have a short window to work on it this evening before it gets dark so I am trying to make sure I am looking at the right things when I get the basement cleaned out and the walls down. Any help is much appreciated. My sweet wife would love to have her AC back. Still hot in Texas.

Buddy

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Buddy, did you notice an error code on the EMS? If there was an event the EMS will shut down and no longer allow AC voltage to your rig.
Turning off the breaker and then back on will reset the EMS. It might be fine when you get home.
You might not have to empty the basement to check things out.
You can check the connections at the neutral buss by pulling the breaker panel out. You can then check the wiring on the back of the breakers.
Do you have a meter to help troubleshoot?
Others will also chime in with some ideas.

Peace
Dave

hcriddle

Buddy, did you notice an error code on the EMS? If there was an event the EMS will shut down and no longer allow AC voltage to your rig.
Turning off the breaker and then back on will reset the EMS. It might be fine when you get home.
You might not have to empty the basement to check things out.
You can check the connections at the neutral buss by pulling the breaker panel out. You can then check the wiring on the back of the breakers.
Do you have a meter to help troubleshoot?
Others will also chime in with some ideas.

Peace
Dave

No Dave no error code on the EMS. That was the first thing I looked at when I realized that the whole park had power except for us. I am not sure if I even have a generator prep. Been too long ago that I bought the trailer. I did try turning off the breaker at the pedestal last night and turned it back on but still got no power. I am not sure what I am hearing that sounds like it is trying to reconnect and I hear a beep but it still does not come back on. I am assuming I will know for sure what it is when I get the wall down and crawl into the basement..

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing would be to check the AC input at the breaker panel.
Use your meter to check if there is voltage going to the breakers.
There is a chance that the EMS has failed.

Peace
Dave

hcriddle

Another thing would be to check the AC input at the breaker panel.
Use your meter to check if there is voltage going to the breakers.
There is a chance that the EMS has failed.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave, the park owner came out this morning and checked the pedestal and checked the plug at the trailer and found everything good to that point so it has to be inside the trailer somewhere. I will let you guys know what I find when I get home this evening. Thanks for the help on where to start looking.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Sounds like a failure on the output side of the EMS. If the EMS is bad, contact Progressive Industries about repair or replacement (I'm assuming it's a PDI EMS). While you are waiting for repair you can splice your incoming line back into the line going into the breaker box and still use your RV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hcriddle

Sounds like a failure on the output side of the EMS. If the EMS is bad, contact Progressive Industries about repair or replacement (I'm assuming it's a PDI EMS). While you are waiting for repair you can splice your incoming line back into the line going into the breaker box and still use your RV.

Thanks Gus, I will check that out. I am assuming I can open up the EMS and will see the problem, correct? I have heard of others who have had this type of failure when the EMS saved the coach.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Be sure to disconnect from shore power before opening the EMS. Not sure what it will look like if it has failed. Mine (knocking on wood) has never had any problems, but I believe Duane Clause (Porthole) had to replace his circuit board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I agree with Gus. We had a EMS go out on us which killed all AC power. Had it happen twice. First time killed all incoming power on both lines. Replaced under manufacturer warranty. Second time, it killed only one line which happened to be the side the kitchen stuff was on. Again replaced under warranty.

hcriddle

Well you Heartland guys come through again as usual. I got home and could hear the EMS trying to reset but it would kick right back off. When I installed the EMS at the advice of someone on the forum I left the original incoming line the same length and just plugged it into the incoming side of the EMS. Simple fix to unplug it from the EMS and shoot right back to the breaker panel and wire it in. I am now sitting in the air conditioning watching TV. Thank you so much to all you guys who helped me get started in the right spot. I am grateful. Hope to see you guys somewhere down the road soon.

By the way I could find no problem that I could see on the buss or the EMS when I opened it up.

Buddy

wdk450

The EMS has a big relay (contactor) that actually does the switching of the high current AC power. It is common for the relay contact points to have arcing across them if an electrical load is present when the relay switches. This arcing can cause a failure of the relay to pass power.

To lessen the incidence of EMS relay contacts arcing, I follow an arrival electrical hookup/departure electrical disconnect routine designed to minimize this. It actually starts with the previous departure where I turn off the inside mains breakers BEFORE turning off/disconnecting shore power. This causes the load associated arcing to be in the inside mains breakers which are usually available at hardware stores (not like EMS systems or EMS relays). When connecting up at a new RVing site, I do the reverse - connect up the shore power cord, turn on the park pedestal breaker, and LASTLY turn on the inside mains breakers. This causes the EMS relay to switch with NO LOAD on it, and preserves the EMS relay contacts life. Of course, if you have an electrical problems during your stay, and the EMS relay switches the power off, some contact arcing is going to happen.

I had a problem a couple of years ago with my EMS giving false readouts (255 volts on a 30 amp 120 volt circuit) and shutting the power down during a high heat wave. Evidently the computer board had fried. I called Progressive, related to them that I was a retired electronics tech of 40 years experience. They sent a new circuit board to my site and let me install it. I found 2 capacitors at the bottom of the bad board fried. While I had the phenolic cover off of the EMS box, I got out my trusty Cramolyn DeOxideIT contact restorer spray and a flat swiss file to dress and enhance the relay contacts. I also thought that the high heat and sealed box may have overheated the capacitors that failed, so I drilled a row of about 5 1/8 inch holes under the length of the circuit board and directly above the circuit board in the cover to allow some cooling convection air flow across the PC board while maintaining MOST of the watertight integrity of the phenolic enclosure box. I also spaced the entire box off of the floor with machine nuts under the mounting screws, to allow this air flow.

So far no more problems with the EMS box, and it has cut power under bad electrical supply problems several times during the past couple of years. This summer it was cutting off the power when 240 volts was being measured on the neutral, 120 volts on the hot (due to a park transformer neutral-ground bonding problem), while the other RVers in the park section kept using their power unknowing of this dangerous condition.