I think this fits here, question about Hydra Motorcycle lifts

SCPOBob

HI All.

Just found this site today while researching Toy Haulers to replace our Denali 292RKX...in particular the Roadwarriors and Cyclones, well to make a long story short the spousal unit was not all that thrilled with any of the floorplans. And a friend of our just happened to purchase a diesel pusher and had a motorcycle lift installed on the back...and he suggested the same could be done with a fiver.

Needless to say we went by the local Heartland Dealer (Baydos in Fife, WA) and we appear to be on the way to purchasing an Elkridge 34TSRE...IF a Hydra motorcycle lift can be safely installed on the trailer.

Anyone out there have any direct or indirect opinions? And yes I am a little concerned on the weight behind the rear axle.

Thanks.
Bob

jimtoo

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure a good welder can make you a hitch and reinforce the frame. You don't say what size bike (weight) you would carry, but most likely you would need to change axles, springs and tires and rims also. And you would also void your warranty.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Any modifications to the frame including installing a hitch to tow a trailer voids the frame warranty on a new unit, regardless of which model it is. That is in the Heartland line.

SCPOBob

Thanks Guys.

We (the Dealer and myself) are working on determining IF Heartland will "Green Light" this project...if not then no sale. As for the bike, 2008 Harley Ultra...I really hope we can work something out as we really like the trailer...but if we can't take the bike, then back to square one.

GOTTOYS

Wouldn't even consider it myself. That's a huge amount of weight hanging from the end of a frame that just wasn't designed for it, let alone the handling problems if the frame didn't fall apart first. Can't imagine Heartland or ANY other mfg. giving their okay on this one. JMHO...Don

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Thanks Guys.

We (the Dealer and myself) are working on determining IF Heartland will "Green Light" this project...if not then no sale. As for the bike, 2008 Harley Ultra...I really hope we can work something out as we really like the trailer...but if we can't take the bike, then back to square one.

You might look at an Idaho Tote. It's a fixed mount and I am told not considered a double-tow in WA. It might be a little easier on your rig.

PS Hopefully you will join the ranks of many happy Heartland owners. If it works out, please consider this a personal invitation to jon the Heartland Owners Club and the Washington State Chapter.

Best Wishes in your Quest!

SCPOBob

Sorry folks, this isnt a second trailer setup, they (the manufacturer) say this will work on SOME fivers...I am working the Dealer to insure, its safe, supported by HL if installed correctly, etc. http://www.hydralift-usa.com/5th-wheel-lift/. If this doesnt work out...then back to a toy hauler or stick with my current setup until another floorplan comes out we like.

caissiel

I dought the Elkridge has the axles to carry the load you want to put on the back of it. Every pound on the rear is 2 Lbs on the axles and 1 pound less on the hitch.
Toy haulers have alowable weight distribution to load the garage and thats why the living space has to be sacrificed.
The swival wheel option is your only option for your Harley, and in Florida you will not be able to use it.

Last edited:

jbeletti

At the Hershey RV show this year, I saw a Honda Gold Wing hanging off the back of a New Horizons 5th wheel. It was mounted using a lift that was attached to the frame - similar to how it would be on a motorhome.

The New Horizons 5th wheel was massive. So too, I assume was their frame and since the manufacturer was showing the rig with the Gold Wing attached, I assume their frame was specifically designed for such use.

I would never consider using as a starting point for considering this application, an I-beam frame of less than 12 inches.

My personal opinion is that you'd have to go in a good many feet with reinforcement in order to handle that kind of cantilevered and moment weight. I'd consider a dual swivel wheel trailer first.

Jim

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I dought the Elkridge has the axles to carry the load you want to put on the back of it. Every pound on the rear is 2 Lbs on the axles and 1 pound less on the hitch.
Toy haulers have alowable weight distribution to load the garage and thats why the living spce has to be sacrificed.
The swival wheel option is your only option for your Harley, and in Florida you will noy be able to use it.

This has been some discussion if the swival wheel trailer is really a trailer since it is attached via two receivers. With the two receiver setup it actually becomes a part of the 5er and not a trailer. It is really a platform supported by the swivel wheels and therefore allowable in the states that do not allow double towing. If I had to do anything I would opt for the swivel wheel with dual receiver hookup or a tow-hauler such as the Cyclone. BTW you can even back up with the dual receiver hookup.

SCPOBob

Thanks everyone for the insights and views; each of the items brought up concerning the weight distribution on the axles, tongue, as well as the I-beam construction, etc are all on my radar to confirm with the manufacturer (if they are lurking please PM me with any additional insight/questions) and the installation shop (I assume they wouldn't do the work if not sane/safe).

I did hear back from Hydra lift and they are pretty specific on what is required: no more than 10ft from center of rear wheel, axle load ratings, and minimum tongue weight of 1400#.

Once I get this all sorted out this week (hopefully today/tomorrow), I will post back and let the group know my results.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This will not help you, but it sort of fits in with trailers behind rigs. This summer, at our CG, there was a large motor home with a double decker trailer behind it. On top, he had a fairly large bass boat on it's own trailer and underneath were his motorcycles. Looked custom made and hydraulic. It had a logo on it, but I didn't write it down. I'd guess with all of that, his fuel economy might be measured in gallons per mile, though.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Is this what your talking about?? I talked to the owner and he said the Mfgr helped him add this to his trailer. I also assumed that he had this on the original order for the trailer.

DSC_3466M.jpg DSC_3467M.jpg DSC_3468M.jpg DSC_3469M.jpg IMG_0157M.jpg IMG_0158M.jpg

Owner said it rode on the back very well.

FWIW
BC

SCPOBob

Yup, that be the one and the same model bike.

Update:
Installation shop will give lifetime warranty on the installation, mount breaking off from coach (need to determine what this would cover...ie bike bouncing down the road?).

GOTTOYS

Update:
Installation shop will give lifetime warranty on the installation, mount breaking off from coach (need to determine what this would cover...ie bike bouncing down the road?).

It sounds like you are pretty determined to get one of these. Before you get your hopes up I would suggest giving Heartland, or any other trailer manufacturer, a call and find out what their opinion is. You may even want to call Lippert and get their take on the subject. Obviously the manufacturer of this product is trying to sell you on it but what is the downside? JMHO...Don

SCPOBob

Determined? By all means no; wanting to make an informed descision? you bet....doing my homework, getting opinions from the "experts" away from the Dealership, etc. If the manufacturers and installer come back and says in no way they will support this then its "dead deal", end of story.

As I have stated to the salesman: 1) this needs to 100% safe for me to tow/my bike to ride/others on the road behind me; 2) its needs warranty coverage from the trailer manufacturer, the lift manufacturer, and the installation shop; 3) any modifications to the trailer need to be "reasonable" (adding a third idler axle might fit here if the cost is not too outrages).

SCPOBob

OKay, like a posted to everyone once I found out what we were going to do I would update the thread....

Here it is, likely not to anyone's surprise Lippert said NO! any welding or modification to the frame in anyway voided the warranty...well if you don't ask, you dont get an answer.

I just got off the phone with the Dealer; he, his service manager and his manager (along with me) agree that this is too big a safety issue to move forward with the current deal.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's input, opinions, reflections, concerns, etc....now to see if I can convince the prettier half if she will re-consider the RW305. :D

Last edited:

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

Update:

Nice looking bike :)

Last edited:

gpshemi

This has been some discussion if the swival wheel trailer is really a trailer since it is attached via two receivers. With the two receiver setup it actually becomes a part of the 5er and not a trailer. It is really a platform supported by the swivel wheels and therefore allowable in the states that do not allow double towing. If I had to do anything I would opt for the swivel wheel with dual receiver hookup or a tow-hauler such as the Cyclone. BTW you can even back up with the dual receiver hookup.

Call it like you want try and explain it away, but in Michigan (and a few others as I understood) it's considered a second trailer despite the attachment method. Nothing in the MDOT code excludes it as such.

Regardless, it would appear too controversal in my opinion. Argueing code with LO on the side of the road will get you no where even when you're in the right. Don't ask how I know...

To be safe (at least in Michigan) consider it a "recreational double".